I Screwed Up Need Help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

trky chsr

Bearcat
I have a new 22/45 that I've taken to the range once. I ordered a VQ trigger,sear and hammer bushing which I was going to attempt to install tonight. I have dissasembled and re-assembled the gun a few times with no issues however tonight when I decided to take it apart and put it back together I screwed up a couple of times. The first time the barrel was difficult to remove but after I got it off I realised I forgot to remove the mag. OK I bent the bolt stop assembly a bit. OK thats not a huge deal it can be fixed. The second screw up is the big one. With the owners manual in front of me I followed the re-assembley procedure except for the part where I had to point the barrel up and pull the trigger (to get the hammer to fall back). So you guessed it I put the bolt in and inserted the mainspring housing completely (latching it). So now I can pull the bolt back and release it but the hammer won't cock and release so I can't disassemble the pistol. What are my options at this point? Do I have to send it back to Ruger or can I pop a couple of pins out and save this (I was going to have to pop the pins anyway to change the parts). TC

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
What position do you believe your hammer is in now? When you say you can pull the bolt back does it close all the way? Is there heavy or light tension on the bolt? What happens when you pull the trigger? Does the trigger move but it doesn't feel as if it is connected to anything?

R,
Bullseye

trky chsr

Bearcat
Bullseye57 said:
What position do you believe your hammer is in now? When you say you can pull the bolt back does it close all the way? Is there heavy or light tension on the bolt? What happens when you pull the trigger? Does the trigger move but it doesn't feel as if it is connected to anything?

R,
Bullseye

I believe the hammer is forward. The bolt closes all the way and the safety moves up and down like the gun is ready to fire. There is normal tension on the bolt, I can pull the trigger but nothing happens and it doesn't feel like the sear or anything else is engaged. I've tried holding it in all different positions as I pulled the bolt back with no difference. TC

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
If the bolt is not very heavy feeling when you pull it back, then it is locked back in the cocked position. The trigger sounds as if it is acting like it is disconnected. Do you have an empty magazine installed when you pull the trigger?

R,
Bullseye

trky chsr

Bearcat
I got a tip on a good site for troubleshooting the MKIIIs and I was able to dissassemble the pistol (hold the gun barrel down, squeeze the trigger and bang it on a wooden work bench forcing the hammer forward). So that is good but now when re-assembled (properly) it won't cock and fire so there is still something broken or out of wack. TC

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Gee that sounds a lot like my manual hammer release at http://www.guntalk-online.com/TroubleshootingPage.htm

R,
Bullseye

trky chsr

Bearcat
Bullseye57 said:
Gee that sounds a lot like my manual hammer release at http://www.guntalk-online.com/TroubleshootingPage.htm

R,
Bullseye

I don't know if that was it or not but your pictures were very helpful. I put that sucker together probably 10 times and still no-go until I took a good look at ther pictures and saw where that one darn spring had to go. When I saw it and put it all back together it actually went "click" when I pulled the trigger :D . The test will come tomorrow when I get out to the range. TC

jl39775

Bearcat
trky chsr said:
I have a new 22/45 that I've taken to the range once. I ordered a VQ trigger,sear and hammer bushing which I was going to attempt to install tonight. I have dissasembled and re-assembled the gun a few times with no issues however tonight when I decided to take it apart and put it back together I screwed up a couple of times. The first time the barrel was difficult to remove but after I got it off I realised I forgot to remove the mag. OK I bent the bolt stop assembly a bit. OK thats not a huge deal it can be fixed. The second screw up is the big one. With the owners manual in front of me I followed the re-assembley procedure except for the part where I had to point the barrel up and pull the trigger (to get the hammer to fall back). So you guessed it I put the bolt in and inserted the mainspring housing completely (latching it). So now I can pull the bolt back and release it but the hammer won't cock and release so I can't disassemble the pistol. What are my options at this point? Do I have to send it back to Ruger or can I pop a couple of pins out and save this (I was going to have to pop the pins anyway to change the parts). TC

I did the same thing and made a video with an easy fix. Hope this helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWxtnC8amO4

trky chsr

Bearcat
Just an update I went to the range and everything worked great! That new sear made a world of difference. I'm thinking this particular gun is going to be picky on ammo though as accuracy was mediocre at best. I was using Win. M-22. I'm going to try my old standby Fed. "blue box" next. TC

fido4x

Bearcat
I've gotten quite used to Blazer's in my 22/45 Lite. I've never had a FTF or FTE with them and I'm happy with the grouping at 50'.