I s The SR9 fixed?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1)":3g6py4jf said:
Don't think you can make a case for 33% of Ruger's output being bad based on 25 "votes" that do not necessarily involve peening.

I NEVER ONCE said anything about 33 % of Ruger's output, Ale, and you know that .... we're talking about the SR9, and ONLY the SR9, at least I was. You've read the posts over the last year or so .... how many of those 25 do YOU think involve peening ?? Either way, it's STILL a 29% failure rate. Completely unacceptable.

What glee ?? This is the first good and rational discussion we've ever had on the subject and you go there ?? I thought we were beyond that.

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
revhigh":3q5aftc1 said:
Cheesewhiz":3q5aftc1 said:
I acknowledge that some have had issues with their pistols but to claim 33 percent coming out of the factory are crap based on the postings here is nuts.

Hey Cheese !

This is where I got that number .... wasn't making it up, just using the number that the forum members that were polled admitted to. :D

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... light=poll

at the time, it was closer to 33%

REV

Rev, How many SR9's has Ruger made over the last two and a half years. 25,000? 50,000? 100,000? maybe more? and a few posters makes the gun a POS, come on. I saw bad pics of some people's guns but every SR9 I actually touched was a good gun and I haven't seen even the slightest peening on the newer ones.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz":q5hf6iom said:
Rev, How many SR9's has Ruger made over the last two and a half years. 25,000? 50,000? 100,000?

I don't have any idea Cheese. Doesn't really matter to me to be honest, but I'd see no reason why this wouldn't be somewhere near a representative sample.

You guys have fun now !!

REV

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Cheesewhiz":ry26jcin said:
Now that's damn funny right there, Armed, you just accused this guy of being a drunk the day before (the post below).

And Armed, although I have have a bit of a silly streak in me, I don't bash guns here very often, I do reserve the right to bash the fanboys and do that quite well.
I own a few pistols and most are very nice ones and I shoot them probably more than the average guy on this forum does. I also fix a few guns here and there and help people a lot at local ranges. It just strikes me how the SR9 seems to get beat up on a daily basis here and it's probably the best semi-auto centerfire pistol Ruger ever has made.

Have another sip. :wink:

Cheezy, I just love the interwebs :D

Another sip of the Ruger Koolaid of course! :wink: As it turns out, maybe nhlever has a bit more of the koolaid than the rest of us due to his apparent history directly with Ruger.

Cheesewhiz":ry26jcin said:
They same loons that bark that the SR9 is a known Ruger issue can't admit that most SR9's are fine, I acknowledge that some have had issues with their pistols but to claim 33 percent coming out of the factory are crap based on the postings here is nuts. Armed, I have helped far more on this site than you will ever know.

We agree that some have had issues. What percentage are OK and what % aren't? 33% was where the little poll on here stood for a while, not valid in any serious sense but sure raises a little question mark don't you think?

I truly hope that this little community of Ruger lovers is able to learn at some point the behind the scenes story of the SR9. Maybe nhlever can backdoor some intel to us.

I'm sure you're a good guy, we'd probably get along fine at the range.

nhlever

Bearcat
As a retired Ruger employee, I am greatly saddened to read posts by folks so obviously embittered against Ruger. I have also been around long enough to know it is not productive to respond to such folks. I hope everyone involved in this discussion gets a positve resolution to their issues.

Mike J

Hunter
nhlever-If you get some information that could be of use to us about these issues being resolved please share it. As far as being sympathetic to Ruger that they are having problems with their manufacturing process due to using "Mexican" immigrants that don't speak English for labor. Forigive me if I'm not sympathetic to their dilemma.
The sad part is that the same kind of attitudes that are causing Rugers problems seem to be infecting a lot of other business & industries.

" . . . if you can't resolve the manufacturing problem that causes the variance in tolerances for the parts involved, then the next best thing is to do what I suggested."

Absolutely true, as far as it goes. But in the manufacturing world as I saw it, if you think you can "get by" with a half-vast "fix" you tend to stop there and not go after the "root cause" and fix that. Then you end up with what you see as avoiding the issue and the resultant situation of a lotta warranty repairs, hoping the market won't notice. But it does notice, as we see here.

I'm agreeing with you, in that I say any problems should be dealt with completely, at the root. I just don't know that we're aware of the real magnitude of this problem based on postings here. I'd have to agree that if it were really large, the warranty costs should have driven the "root cause fix" if nothing else did.

For what it's worth, I'm way more concerned about that camblock crack or void or whatever we saw elsewhere. That's a situation that should have been caught at assembly, IMHO.

:)

revhigh

Hawkeye
I think we're pretty much in agreement Ale, and without definitive proof as to the true depth of the problem, we're just shooting in the breeze anyway. :D

REV

driver52

Bearcat
Ok....here goes nothing. I have an SR 9 and i love it! There, I said it. Although it appears that I must be in the vast minority. I bought mine about a year ago as my very 1st firearm purchase. I did ALOT of research via the internet, reading reviews ect...and decided that the SR 9 was the gun for me, thankfully I hadn't found this forum at the time or I may not have bought it!

After 750+ rounds I have yet to see any peening but, yes I did have 1 issue. For some reason the mag release started sticking. I contacted Ruger and in a matter of hours I had a next day air shiping label in my e-mail. I was witout it for about 2 weeks but I got it back and it has worked flawlessly since. I'm not all bent out of shape about it, these things happen. Has anybody ever taken a car in for a warranty repair or god forbid a RECALL??? Unfortunately it's a product of mass production but also the reason certain things are much more afordable than they otherwise would be(balme Henry Ford if you don't like it). Maybe I'm a newbie, maybe my expectations aren't high enough but to me it seems like any problems the SR 9 is having are pretty minor especially after seeing how well Ruger handles warranty concerns.

I also don't believe that the "issues reported" on this site are an accurate reflection of the SR 9s track record.I joined this forum hoping to learn a few things and maybe have some good discussions but it seems as though there is more mudslinging than anything on here. Call me strange but I'll use my own personal experience with Ruger and my SR 9 to form an opinoin about Ruger.

BTW, I also own an SR 22 and love that to...

jhearne

Buckeye
driver52, you are not in the Vast Minority, but more of the Silent Majority. People like to speak up when problems arise. It's a common group across many different brands, forums do exaggerate certain things too (not calling anyone liars, but it helps others with similar issues speak up, those without problems normally skip or don't reply back).

Don't let all the mudslinging get in the way of what otherwise is a pretty solid firearm. That said, there are SR9s with their issues but in terms of reliability? Only 1 I have seen completely fail (on RF.com) with regards to the Peening everyone is complaining about. It's a problem people are going to find if their looking for it. Otherwise most people's SR9 are just fine....they function, the trigger could use some work, but it's a very solid gun. Some are going to keep shooting it, some will just file it down, some will send the gun back in hopes that next time it'll be perfect. Mines a shooter, I'll keep shooting til it breaks.

Josh

elkhunter62

Bearcat
well went to the club again with the new sr9 i bought about two weeks ago and put another 400 rounds and not one prob. yet the pistol is so great no peening also im so happy with this pistol and love to shot it wish you all with the probs had one like mine it was made this year dont know if that makes a difference. thank you all for the help on hear

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Not to bring this thread back OT but...we'll probably never know when Ruger makes whatever fix is necessary. The reports of peening and whatever else will just show up less and less as the (updated, revised, retimed, :roll: )versions replace them in the pipeline. Maybe it's already happened. Ya spends yo money and ya takes yo chances.

Gat0rBait

Bearcat
Driver52, couldnt have said it better. I have about 500 rnds through mine and love it, it was also my first handgun and it led me to buying an LCP as well. I am turning into a ruger fan and next im thinking about a 10/22.
Sucks that issues happen but the reality is they happen to all prodcuts and ruger seems to be handling them fine.

SgtSam

Bearcat
:oops: At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is this "peening" issue that keeps cropping up? How would one know that his gun was doing it? What would I look for.

I just took delivery of a new SR9c. I don't expect any problems. But, I'd like to know what to look for.

Thanks guys!

SgtSam :wink:

SgtSam

Bearcat
:D AHHH! The infamous "picture's worth a thousand words" operation! :lol: And lots of good text to accompany it.

Thanks. All is well in the land of learning!

driver52":3chonw59 said:
I have an SR 9 and i love it!... I must be in the vast minority...

I also don't believe that the "issues reported" on this site are an accurate reflection of the SR 9s track record.I joined this forum hoping to learn a few things and maybe have some good discussions but it seems as though there is more mudslinging than anything on here. Call me strange but I'll use my own personal experience with Ruger and my SR 9 to form an opinoin about Ruger.

You are in the silent majority.

deputy125

Bearcat
well, i really like the design features of the sr9, which is why i've tried to research it and conducted the poll here.

i sort of thought the same thing......that slowly yet surely the design will get tweeked and hopefully the issues will slow/fade over time.

to those ends, i thought what the heck and decided to contact ruger about all the net chatter about the peen issues on the sr9 and the poll here.

so i went to the ruger site and used the "tell the ceo" feature and sent a polite email about the reported peen issues and poll results on the net along with my email address just to see what would happen.

i received an email back the next day from a "mike fifer" (i believe) who advised that this was a non-issue that has been resolved for some time and that there are no more problems.

i appreciate the fact that someone took the time to email me back about my concerns. i also appreciate the info that the problem has according to him been resolved.

it just leaves me wondering if there is any "older product" still in the pipeline that might not had received the final "tweeks".