I respectfully disagree

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake Pleskin

Banned
My XYZ "is 7+1. I have two loaded additional magazines. That is 22 rounds."
Sorry to say, this may not always be correct. There may/will be a time when a 'reload' is not possible. One reason I shifted away from the SP101 was on board round count. At the time, I was carrying 2 speedloaders giving me a total of 15 rounds BUT that required the gun be reloaded (and unavailable for use) twice for the 15 rounds. I came to realize that there could be a scenario in which I couldn't manipulate a reload in a timely fashion which prompted a switch to a 12 round magazine 9mm. 12 in the mag and one chambered makes nearly as many rounds available w/o any manipulation. If I choose, I can use the 'big boy' 15 round mag and exceed the capacity with only minimal size increase.
I'm fully aware that I'm not one of the 'run & gun' competitors, my hand coordination isn't what it used to be, and I tend to drop stuff (oft-times lots of stuff). Presently, I'm dealing with physical issues that can at times, reduce the use of my dominant hand/arm to nearly nothing so I really don't put much faith in a multiple reload defense plan.
Are you concerned at all if the firearm malfunctions for whatever reason, that your current physical limitations may make it difficult to get it back in action? Maybe your SP101 would be a better choice? I don't really know, just trying to cover all the bases.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
Many good points have been brought up on this thread, I agree with most of them. For 39 years I went into trouble. When I did I never ever blindly ran into it. I did it tactically, later in life I read a saying by another "never run to your death."
With good to great situational awareness, I and we, (others on here) can tactically retreat also. Defending ourselves doesn't always mean with a firearm. Because this is a gun forum we focus on guns. A tactical retreat can be as easy as driving another direction, when on foot crossing to the other side of the street. Trust your gut, as an example: If you are going to a ATM machine to withdraw money and as you access the area. If you see several young men standing nearby and looking all around and than focus in on you and your car. Just continue driving there is another ATM somewhere. In the end, we may never know if those guys would attempt to harm you or not. But, your situational awareness kicked in and you survived. You won.
Now of course, the law does not say you need to avoid trouble, also just because you have a firearm does not mean you should go out and look for it either.
Yes, I agree 110%!

Everytime I read about statistics I can't help remember what the man said. "There are three types of lies. Lies, damned lies and statistics".

So let me throw a statistic at you from personal observation. When required to empoly a 1911 eight rounds will be fired 100% of the time. Number of hits from those eight rounds has been determined 0% of the time. Effectiveness of those eight rounds 100%.

And while I did have an officer that ordered empty chambers upon his arrival, he was carrying with a loaded chamber less that two weeks later. And 0% of the folks under his command paid any attention to his empty chamber order.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
23 posts . and no mention of New York Reload yet ?
Jimmy Cirillo, but then you have to have two revolvers to really make it work as intended! I used to carry a S&W model 12 , K frame airweight with 4 in pencil bbl, and a S&W model 37 J frame airweight 2in as a back up! Both very light and the model 12 was very accurate!

Attachments

• S&W pistols (2).JPG
    S&W pistols (2).JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 69

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I carry two jframe centennials quite frequently.
How do you carry them? I used to carry a model 12 in a shoulder holdster with a model 37 backup in a sob holster. I also trried two j frames. A modle 60 on an Galco owb at 3-4 oclock and a model 49 in a Galco paddle/cross draw

Attachments

• S&W pistols (2).JPG
    S&W pistols (2).JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 69
  • J frame holsters1.jpg
    J frame holsters1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 73

eveled

Hawkeye
I have a 442 with Barami hip grips for IWB. A 340pd with crimson trace grips pocket carried in a Mika holster.

If I'm wearing a jacket one goes in each pocket. They balance each other out.

Or sometimes my 327pug in a holster with a j frame as a back up.
D1DD63BC-8BC3-414A-913F-2CA6ADF72E37.jpeg

Or every once in a great while my 327 backs up my 627.

Last edited:

RonEgg

Blackhawk
Yes, I have problems with addressing all of these formerly elected or appointed people by their former title. They are no longer president, governor, senator, secretary, ect.
Actually most are called by their former title, ambassador, senator, secretary…

Snake Pleskin

Banned
Yes, I have problems with addressing all of these formerly elected or appointed people by their former title. They are no longer president, governor, senator, secretary, ect.
I remember once I was introduced to a guy and they said here is Colonel so & so. I said Colonel of what? He said i used to be in the Army. I said, right, used to be, not any more.
Actually most are called by their former title, ambassador, senator, secretary…
Seems to me that what you were has nothing to do with what you are now.

Durango Dave

Single-Sixer
John Correia of Active Self Protection has seen videos of 40,000 defensive shootings. Watch his video but here are the main takeaways:

1. Even if you use your gun in a defensive shooting, you will never need a reload. (yes never)
2. Carry a gun with a high capacity. This is much better than bringing a reload.

There are lots of defensive shootings that last more than 6 rounds. Missing is the main reason for lots of shots.

These stats are for civilians, NOT law enforcement. The goal is different. If the criminal is down a civilian should flee and call 911. But a cop needs to bring the criminal into custody. This is when a cop would reload with a fresh magazine.

Here's the video with this info:

Massad Ayoob disagrees. You may want to see his video:

And here's John Correia's rebuttal:

I'm going with John Correia because of the sheer volume of shootings he's reviewed.
If you want to carry spare magazines, go ahead. As Correia says they are just a woopie, warm and cuddly to make you feel secure.

Last edited:
Even if when proven that no citizen in a self defense shooting needed a reload, I will carry 1 or 2 depending on what I carry on that day as a handgun. Why, I have trained to reload, clear a jam, seen guns jam, seen mags fail, seen ammo fail to fire. To me having an empty gun and not being able to top it off or reload it to be a useful weapon is like driving your car till empty knowing you could have stopped and got gas before it happened.
Knowing full well the average armed citizen will never shoot their firearm in a SD situation and if they do most gun battles involved with citizens defending themselves is some where around 1 or 2 shots with the limited data I have read. But if you don't want to carry extra ammo, ok with me. I can and will.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
That guy's life time extrapolation numbers are really skewed. There's no way they're accurate. Smooth talkers that act like they know what they're talking about, come across as knowledgeable and believable when in reality, they're just smooth talkers pushing crap. YT is full of them.

Sorry, I'm gonna believe somebody credentialed, legitimate, and world-renowned in the area of civilian self-defense like Mas over some random YouTuber EVERY TIME. But your life, your choice.

The irony is I carry a spare magazine even when I'm not carrying the gun.... mainly because it is easier... Also the one item I've had problem with in the over 200 hours of formal training is emergency reloads and malfunctioning ..... but then I also always carry a Swiss army knife and a bottle of nitroglycerin tablets....

"be prepared".

buckaroo

Banned
I'm fully aware that I'm not one of the 'run & gun' competitors, my hand coordination isn't what it used to be, and I tend to drop stuff (oft-times lots of stuff). Presently, I'm dealing with physical issues that can at times, reduce the use of my dominant hand/arm to nearly nothing so I really don't put much faith in a multiple reload defense plan.

There is no right or wrong answer, you do what you feel comfortable with. No need to ever justify your choices except perhaps to yourself. I personally only carry a spare mag for malfunctions as that is the weak link with a semi-automatic.
I have no intentions of ever getting involved in a fire fight and if I see you getting mugged in a parking lot, good luck to ya.

Pepper Gel.jpg

If you are needing to reload you are for sure in serious trouble, but then if you fired that many rounds you are in serious trouble... in fact if you fired one round you are in serious trouble... actually if you even had to draw your weapon.......

buckaroo is right.... there is no right and wrong.... in fact think of it as the ultimate boating / shipping rule... "the boat that's left was right."

Moparfreak

Bearcat
Everytime I read about statistics I can't help remember what the man said. "There are three types of lies. Lies, damned lies and statistics".

So let me throw a statistic at you from personal observation. When required to empoly a 1911 eight rounds will be fired 100% of the time. Number of hits from those eight rounds has been determined 0% of the time. Effectiveness of those eight rounds 100%.

And while I did have an officer that ordered empty chambers upon his arrival, he was carrying with a loaded chamber less that two weeks later. And 0% of the folks under his command paid any attention to his empty chamber order.