I own a OM BH in .357 magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
with a cylinder length of 1.840". Is it possible to fit a 9MM cylinder to this gun? Do the NM BH cylinders average the same lengths a the OMs? I don't think I've ever seen this discussed on this forum before.
Steve

cadillo

Blackhawk
I never measured the length of mine, but can tell you that Ruger marketed some of those Old Model .357's as "Convertibles" with a 9mm cylinder. I occasionally see the cylinders for sale on Gunbroker, and believe that I've also seen one sold here in the Classifieds section.

They are out there.

contender

Ruger Guru
There is a difference in the OM cylinders & the NM cylinders. Most noticeable by the cylinder boss. Make sure you get a correct one for your gun. And it needs to be the same OAL or a few thousands longer to be honed down to fit.

bedrockfred

Blackhawk
Hi I am no expert, but from my experience, they do not interchange. Old model cylinders front snout is much shorter than a new model. And the barrels on a new model ruger protrude farther into the main cylinder frame. But I see plenty of both ,old & new model cylinders for sale!--bedrockfred

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I have an old model mane in 1969 with 6 1/2 in. barrel and a old model convertible made in 1971 with4 5/8 in. barrel and 9 mm cylinder works great in both of them. Both shoot accurate with 9 mm, but i have not shot with 9 mm cylinder much because 38 spl. is a lot more covenant when I'm not shooting .357 mag.