I need some help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I found a Primary Arms mini-dot optic sitting where I left it a couple years ago. All I remember about it is that I bought it cheap on ebay. No instructions and I can't quite understand how the W&E adjustments function.
This is an open top red dot which looks very similar to a Burris FF2 but doesn't have an "on/off" switch(apparently it's activated by removal of the hard plastic cover). There's a screw on the rear right side , a screw on the rear top, and 2 screws on the rear face of the sight body. No markings are visible as to left/right/up/down. Hoping someone might have one of these or is familiar with this specific sight and can give me some insight into which screws are which and how clockwise/counter clockwise rotation relates to zeroing the dot.
The little screw slots are shallow and I can't clamp the pistol snug enough to turn the screws and watch how they travel.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I asked PA for assistance earlier but that may take a few days. I'm guessing this is an obsolete model.

NikA

Buckeye
I saw the box for it at some point after moving to this house, but I may have tossed it. Couldn't find the instructions. Two screws on the end are lock screws for the adjustments, other two screws adjust the dot location. Here's a guy talking about the Gen 2 version, apparently they actually bothered to put arrows indicating the adjustment direction on it: https://youtu.be/PulZiFkl3V4

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Thanks NikA, that got me further along. The up/down is opposite the FF2 but the R/L is same. Maybe I can squeeze in 15 minutes to mess with this project today.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Well, I used my laser bore sighter and clamped the pistol's barrel in a shop vise in order to hold the gun and wrangle the tiny screwdriver. The boys showed up before I got to test fire but at least I know the adjustments work. It does appear that something may be broken. There's supposed to be a couple of tiny threaded rings that secure the adjustment screws into the housing. One of those is missing or broken. I'll see what PA has to say about the sight--maybe it's got a lifetime warranty.
If I decide I like the idea of having a chore pistol with a dot sight, I'll spend the $$ to have a better optic that fits the Dokter/Burris footprint of the rear sight dovetail mount I just received.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
This sight is obviously trashed. After some adjustments to zero, I did three 3 shot groups to make sure it was going to hold. By the third sequence, the group size had increased 300% and shifted 6-7" @ 25 yards. I'm not that bad and the pistol is capable of 1" groups at that range. Oh well. Guess I'll start looking a bit harder for a mid-priced name brand replacement.