I need basic 22/45 info

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
I have a bunch of Mk-II's and know them inside and out. I made a low bid on GB and now have a 22/45 on the way. I have only had one in my hand and that when they first came out. (~1996) I didn't like the balance and haven't touched one since.

I've heard rumblings, so now I need the facts.

1) MK-II mags - different than MK-III? If not compatible, modifiable?

2) upper to lower fit 22/45 vs MK - the tab needs to be tweaked?

3) what else is 22/45 only?

If you can't tell, I am thinking about throwing the upper onto a MK frame.

Thanks for the education

contender

Ruger Guru
I own both a MKII & MKIII in 22/45 configuration. Mags will interchange. Not sure about the swapping around of the uppers & lowers.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Understood. I saw mention somewhere that MK-III 22/45 would not fit MK-II 22/45. Seemed stupid to me, but there can be changes and it doesn't hurt to check since I am now in the market for mags.

Just went to shopruger.com and they show both a MKII 22/45 magazine and a MKIII 22/45 magazine but with different part numbers. The description for the MKII 22/45 magazines says "For MKII pistols only". The description for the MKIII 22/45 is "Fits the Ruger® 22/45 Lite® and the Mark III™ 22/45™".

I guess I should have done more homework before replying the first time. But I was right that a standard MK (I, II, or III) magazine won't fit a MK series 22/45 :D

contender

Ruger Guru
Ron is correct.
I re-read my post, and it may have seemed a little confusing.
We were discussing the 22/45 & I responded about that one only. The MK series is different, and will not allow swapping of mags. However, while they do show a different part number,,, I have used my MKII & MKIII 22/45 series mags in each gun. Never had any issues.
Now, I haven't purchased any new mas for either gun in a few years,,, as I have a pile of them anyway, but if they made a change,,, I'm unaware of it.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Actually my original questions weren't clear.

Q-1 -- I never thought a MK would fit in a 22/45, so it's all good. My question has always been 22/45 - II versus III

Q-2 -- is regarding swapping uppers from a MK series to a 22/45 series

Q-3 -- the only clear one.

#2 Could not tell you about putting a MkII upper on a 22/45, I don't have a 22/45 to compare.

#3 Only thing that I can think of is the grip panel. Because of the difference in the shape. IIRC the 22/45 grip panels are real close to that of a 1911, but I'll defer to the knowledge of a 22/45 (with removable grip panels) owner.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
When the 22/45 was first introduced, it was not given the Mark surname, it was just called the 22/45. These pistols had internal parts that did NOT include a "magazine disconnect" system. The magazines only need, which the Mark II magazines didn't provide, was a base plate shaped to fit the grip frame. See the picture below:

When the Ruger Mark III 22/45 pistols came out, compliance and the addition of nuisance features were installed to what some states required for sale in those states. One such system employed, is the magazine disconnect, whereby the pistol could not be fired without a magazine installed. In some instances the magazine did not want to click positively into place, therefore Ruger attached a "spur" to the backside of the trigger that is supposed to hook into the notch, only on the Mark III magazine bodies, that would help force the magazine up and into place more positively. Now, there are some owners who shed the magazine disconnect parts and install the Sam Lam hammer bushing, so after that, there's no need for the spur on the trigger, or the notch in the left upper end of the magazine. If you rid the pistol of the magazine disco parts, and/or replace the trigger with an aftermarket brand, then YES, you can swap magazines back and forth from the 22/45 to the Mark III 22/45 and vice-versa.