I miss Bill Ruger and the fine guns he created

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I always liked almost all the guns Bill Ruger created. I feel like he was the John Browning of our time .The ruger 77 was the pre64 Winchester of our time .Elmer Keith helped Bill develop many of his guns .The ruger black hawk the ruger 1 the ruger 77 they worked together to make the best guns of their tome

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I bought every ruger that I liked when I found them. I WISH I had not sold the full stock 44 mag it was beautiful .His pistols and rifles and shotguns were all classic .There are no new rugers that turn my eyes these days

gunman42782

Hunter
I know exactly how you feel. The new guns these days just feel like junk compared to the older ones. How many friggin plastic pistols can the market bear? Ruger was a gun guy, and he really understood what a lot of us wanted. Ruger is just a company now. Really ticked me off when they took the Sturm off of the guns and logo. I guarantee you Bill would not have approved of that. I guess it's the same old story though. I am sure there were folks not happy when we transitioned from cap and ball to metallic cartridges!

RoundinCircles

Bearcat
I know exactly how you feel. The new guns these days just feel like junk compared to the older ones. How many friggin plastic pistols can the market bear? Ruger was a gun guy, and he really understood what a lot of us wanted. Ruger is just a company now. Really ticked me off when they took the Sturm off of the guns and logo. I guarantee you Bill would not have approved of that. I guess it's the same old story though. I am sure there were folks not happy when we transitioned from cap and ball to metallic cartridges!
I too miss the Sturm and the "S" from the logo. The logo is incomplete without it.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
The last new Ruger rifle I bought was mid 80's, when they moved on from the tang safety I quit buying them. Should have bought a few more. I have half a dozen single actions though, when the went 'new' with the small frame they no longer fit me hands.

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I never had a gun of his day fail me either. Walmart was partly to Blame for the junk guns of today .They wanted them cheaper and cheaper. I LOVE the look AMd feel of good wood on a rifle too .Thompson center also had awesome wood in those days .I look st Henry rifles and it looks like pallet wood snd they are way over priced .Kids of today are really missing out on quality firearms. I am so glad I grew up when u did .

Armybrat

Buckeye
The fit & finish of these two are just as good as my old three screws. (Am going to put some wood panels on the new BH)
The Single Seven birdshead is from 2018, the Single Six is 1959.
The 3 screw BH is from 1968, the NM BH is 2022.
A1A3EBBB-ABA0-4F12-AE16-41C540D69799.jpeg
FD7E2D80-4ED2-4ECC-A684-2554BF2A0FAB.jpeg
16754F8D-BFC0-41AC-A0A6-B833C91F9FAF.jpeg

Count me in as well! They should have left that alone.

Bill Ruger was the John M. Browning of his day. I am greatful I could acquire the Rugers I wanted. My most valued is the fruit of his last project., my Gold Label shotgun. Sadly they were not able to continue profitable production. I'd like to think Bill would have found a way if he could still run the company. When people ask my why I named my dog Ruger, I simply tell them that "Some of my favorite things are Rugers."

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
I agree. My first big bore revolver was a Blackhawk in .41 Mag. It was one of the first few hundred new models. Bought it in 1973. As funny as it may seem, I really miss the walnut grips on the Ruger single actions. I don't like the laminate, or plywood grips as I refer to them, don't like the plastic grips, with the exception of the Standard Autos. I miss the M77, especially the RS model, the No. 1 especially, and other wood stocked rifles. Thus ends my rant.

Armybrat

Buckeye
I agree. My first big bore revolver was a Blackhawk in .41 Mag. It was one of the first few hundred new models. Bought it in 1973. As funny as it may seem, I really miss the walnut grips on the Ruger single actions. I don't like the laminate, or plywood grips as I refer to them, don't like the plastic grips, with the exception of the Standard Autos. I miss the M77, especially the RS model, the No. 1 especially, and other wood stocked rifles. Thus ends my rant.
Agree with that too.
The first standard 10/22 I bought new in 1968 (on the day my first son was born) has a very nice grain walnut stock.
The two I bought in the late 1970s still had walnut stocks, but were very plain.
Nowadays they come with plastic or "hardwood".

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
Growing up as a po white kid in Montana, I envied the kids that had 10-22s and Ruger Mark II pistols. The "old guy" that used to take me hunting with him had a tang safety 7 mag that I thought was the best elk killing implement ever devised but the best I could afford was a Savage 110E chambered in the 7.
Now I have most of the guns that I dreamt of as a kid, many that I thought I'd never be able to own. Some of my favorites are still Rugers, the sleek and sexy No.1 is near the top of my list, especially my 303 British and my favorite chambered in the wonderful Holland and Holland Super 30. The RSMs and Mark II Express Rifles are amazing and show the love Bill had for fine Sporting arms. The Red Labels have given me plenty of enjoyment from quail in south TX to Grouse in Western MT. Still need a gold label!
The Blackhawks, RedHawks and Single Sixes always make me smile when they are in my Paws. So....Thank You Bill.
Cheers,
Cody

instructor

Single-Sixer
Not long-ago friend of mine offered to me at a very reasonable price what is commonly called "the American Express rifle" and it has a beautiful French walnut stock, controlled round feed action, rib which is machined as part of the barrel, typical African rear sight with one folding, forward sling mount with barrel band and it is balanced perfectly. Made in the early 90's with box and never been fired.
Caliber is 30-06 which is about as American as you can find in my opinion. These Ruger 77's were a bit on the expensive side when first introduced, but in reality, one of the finest bolt rifles made then and is still today a marvelous firearm in all regards. Yes, I definitely like Ruger firearms.

dgr416

Single-Sixer
The ruger 77 was the smoothest bolt action made to me .The new ones bolt terrible .I could fire my ruger 77 in 338 win mag so fast at running game it was crazy .I once shot 4 does with it out at 250 yards and got all 4 with four shots .I really liked those guns .I have a rs 77 in 243 that I want ti make into a 260 rem which would be perfect for me now. I was going to make a 416 ruger out of one of my 338 win mags just don't Need it now .

Latest posts