I love my Red Label!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mattsbox99

Hunter
Today I shot 70/100 at sporting clays! I have a 1984 Red Label 20 gauge with the fixed chokes that is all stock and a ton of fun. I would like a 12 to go with it, but the 20 is just fine for now. I have another 12 gauge, a Rem 11-87 thats a great gun as well, but my Ruger is my favorite skeet and sporting clays gun!

sturmenater

Bearcat
yes sir if you dont mind me asking whats a fair price on a used one the local gun store has a bunch of barley used ones i would consider new not a mark on them prices vary from $1100 to $1200.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I'd pay 1100 for a newer stainless one with all the chokes, maybe 1200 if it was in perfect shape with the box. I gave 900 for mine late last year. I prefer the 20 gauge, but a good deal on a 12 gauge would be hard to pass up.

+1 for the Red Label. I had a 12 and a 28 gauge, and then won a 20 gauge at a Pheasants Forever banquet. I ended up selling the 2 smaller gauges and kept the 12. I am set up for loading 12 gauge and have others, so was trying to keep life simple. I do miss my 28 gauge Anniversary model though.

Unless you need a duck or turkey gun or live on the high plains, or live in a no-lead area, get a 28 with 28" barrels. Even I can hit upland birds, wood ducks, and cottontails with one of those. And it kills them. And you can pack it all day long. With a jacket full of shells! Mine even came with a stock that is darn near edible looking....marble fudge walnut.

TDF

Single-Sixer
Love my 20 Red Label, but the 12's always seemed a little heavy to me, especially at the end of a long day of upland hunting.

TDF

mattsbox99

Hunter
The only reason I want a 12 first is that I like to shoot trap, sporting clays, and skeet occasionally. I really want a 28 too, but thats a few years away.

I'd never take a 12 upland hunting... my 20 is great and I have no trouble toting it all day long. I've knocked down a lot of huns with my 20.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I agree, many O/U snobs will look down on the Ruger, but for no logical reason. To me, its a great American made shotgun. Its not the most expensive but thats just fine with me.

claydoctor

Bearcat
mattsbox99":3hqmds6y said:
I agree, many O/U snobs will look down on the Ruger, but for no logical reason. To me, its a great American made shotgun. Its not the most expensive but thats just fine with me.

I have a logical reason and I own one.

Mattsbox99,

I enjoyed your post since I too have a RL 20 ga that is my favor shotgun. I shoot it as well or better than my 11-87 12ga when shooting trap. Yep, if the right RL 12 ga comes around I'll just have to get it.

Rick

claydoctor

Bearcat
Tensaw":1c4nyd98 said:
Mattsbox99,

I enjoyed your post since I too have a RL 20 ga that is my favor shotgun. I shoot it as well or better than my 11-87 12ga when shooting trap. Yep, if the right RL 12 ga comes around I'll just have to get it.

Rick

There's one school of thought that thinks the 20 and 28 gauges are, for some reason, more trouble free than the 12. That has been my experience.

mattsbox99

Hunter
claydoctor":308ao2v7 said:
mattsbox99":308ao2v7 said:

Care to elaborate or are you just going to hide behind an expensive gun?

To be fair, I've shot a $40,000 Perazzi, and I didn't break any more clays, and it didn't do anything my Red Label couldn't also do.

claydoctor

Bearcat
mattsbox99":3btdzo0m said:
claydoctor":3btdzo0m said:
mattsbox99":3btdzo0m said:

Care to elaborate or are you just going to hide behind an expensive gun?

"Hide behind an expensive gun?" I don't follow

martyj

Blackhawk
Im looking for a skeet gun and was wondering how these compare with skb or weatherby?
Kind of leary about buying a used one that had the heck shot out of it. Rifle I don mind used I dont know to many people that will put 50 rounds a week through a high power.
Anyone notice any problem with the new winchester and federal sell getting bound up in their guns. So far Ive seen them jam an Ithaca, 870, and a browning bps.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
I don't have problems with any shells in my Red Label but I have had some hard to extract out of my old 870 TB trap. I think its got a pretty tight chamber!

Latest posts