I like gun shows.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hankus

Blackhawk
Too many tables at gun shows these days are full of non gun stuff. Also, way too much tacticool crap.
And I sail right by that stuff then concentrate on the more interesting items. Deals and interesting stuff is out there to be found. I leave the tacticool stuff to the "newbies", and better yet, they all sail right by the things that are more interesting to me!

KIR

Sparks, NV
Don't forget price of admission and parking or walk a mile. Would rather go to my LGS and they can always order things for me that individual table top dealers can't.

Jon406

Single-Sixer
Don't forget price of admission and parking or walk a mile. Would rather go to my LGS and they can always order things for me that individual table top dealers can't.
I hear ya, I for one don't like crowds, and walking a long way just is no good for my low back and hips any longer.. I vote for just looking at my LGS's and if I find something, at least I know them, and they know me.

I still love gun shows, but I miss the good old days. Too much tacticool stuff and the overseas junk accessories that go with it now. And the inflated prices! I can almost always find the same items cheaper online. At least that was the trend in Central Oregon. I haven't been to any of the shows in Southern Oregon- I just moved. But I grew up going to the big shows at the Pomona Fairgrounds in the late 70's- miles of walking. Tons of stuff. Back then you just paid cash and went home with your new prize. The shows in Salt Lake were great too.

Anytime we know of a show we attend if possible. That was where we found the S&W 38/44 HD we have here. We weren't looking for anything in particular and one of the locals that ran a gun store in these parts had that one for sale along with quite a few others. I believe he may be running another shop but it has been a while to see him. The 38/44 was in great shape and was $600.00 plus tax.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I use to like gunshows when you could find something you liked, you threw down your money and walked away with your treasure. I did get to meet Harry Sanford of AMT 44 Automag fame and Chuck Karwan a gun writer back in the day. Nice fellows. Years ago there use to be gun parts dealers selling parts, but no more. I was at one show in Portland Oregon and bought 3 brand new Ruger MK2 complete bolts for $20.00 each. At that show there was hundreds of tables of goodies for sale. Last show I went to there was about 15 sellers in this huge building with only new overpriced half plastic guns and way overpriced. $80.00 plus tax for a 500 round brick of 22 shells. There was only 7 buyers in the building. Me and my family were 4 of them.

INLINECHEVY6.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
Most of the time the gun shows are so crowded it's hard to even see what's on the tables! And forget about getting a bargain, or even a fair deal 99% of the time.
I know what you mean about crowded. A lot is the sellers fault. I want to buy something on the table and the seller and some guys are busy yacking about something unrelated to guns and I am trying to buy something.

INLINECHEVY6.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
Don't forget yard sales and flea markets.
Yes, flea markets and garage sales. Tools are my second hobby, both modern and antique.

Inlinechevy6.

Attachments

• garage 4.jpg
    garage 4.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 66
  • garage 3.jpg
    garage 3.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 59
  • garagex7.jpg
    garagex7.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 55
  • garage x2.jpg
    garage x2.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 54
Living with Oregon's gun laws has taken most of the fun out of buying firearms. Even before M114 "passed" there was still a multiple day wait on background checks unless you had a CHL. And very few dealers will release a firearm on the 3 day "time out". This applies to all sales, private party included. It seems most people won't sell guns at garage or estate sales anymore- they go straight to a gun or pawn shop. Sucks.

But finding that 1% (more like 20% in my experience down here, lots of shows …) yippee!

Yes indeed! Last show I went to I found a couple hundred once-fired .44 Special cases for a good price. Got 'em home, and figured out half of them were actually .44 Magnum (which I needed more than the specials) - a little frosting on the cake!
:)

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
Living with Oregon's gun laws has taken most of the fun out of buying firearms. Even before M114 "passed" there was still a multiple day wait on background checks unless you had a CHL. And very few dealers will release a firearm on the 3 day "time out". This applies to all sales, private party included. It seems most people won't sell guns at garage or estate sales anymore- they go straight to a gun or pawn shop. Sucks.
I live in Vancouver just across the river from Portland. They use to have some good shows there.

INLINECHEVY6.

Ride1949

Hunter
I live in Oregon and have never had to wait 3 days to buy a gun. Instant background check while you wait (anywhere from 10 minutes to 1/2 hr., depending on how busy the phone lines are) I don't think I've ever been asked for my CCP. Fill out the 4473, they call for the okay, get fingerprinted, pay your money and walk out the door with your new handgun. Private sales have required a background check for a few years now, if I remember correctly. I haven't bought a gun since M114 went into effect so I can't comment on that. I do realize now you have to jump through the hoops, but haven't had the joy of that experience yet.

Last edited:
I live in Oregon and have never had to wait 3 days to buy a gun. Instant background check while you wait (anywhere from 10 minutes to 1/2 hr., depending on how busy the phone lines are) I don't think I've ever been asked for my CCP. Fill out the 4473, they call for the okay, get fingerprinted, pay your money and walk out the door with your new handgun. Private sales have required a background check for a few years now, if I remember correctly. I haven't bought a gun since M114 went into effect so I can't comment on that. I do realize now you have to jump through the hoops, but haven't had the joy of that experience yet.
I have purchased 3 firearms since 114 was voted on. The first, in November, the week after we moved. I had just changed the address on my drivers license and had not been able to get my CHL changed over yet. I was over 24,000 back in line. 2 weeks later not much has changed. So the shop owner let me take it on the 3 day rule. However, once I got my CHL changed over and got my Real ID drivers license, the last 2 have been instantaneous.

It used to be that CHL holders went to the front of the line. In 23 years of living in Oregon I've not had to wait over a minute or so. But with the threat and the passage of 114, panic buying has set in. It is not abnormal currently to have to wait over 30 days for an approval on a 4473 entered electronically. Phone in's can take 2-3 hours before you get to someone. And so many people complained that CHL holders got preferential treatment that OSP stopped putting them up front. Like I said- buying a firearm in Oregon sucks now. I will only deal with the shop that honors the 3 day rule. And the bulk of shops won't, they're afraid of the potential liability.

Ride1949

Hunter
Thanks for that information. As stated, I haven't had the joyful experience of buying a new gun since M114 went into effect. I knew it'd be a pain in the butt. Moving down to the Florida panhandle to be close to my daughter and granddaughter is looking better every day. The politics in play here now have pretty much ruined Oregon for me. I left Colorado to come here 47yrs. ago because of the same BS that's been going on here for too long now. Never thought I'd ever want to leave. :(

Thanks for that information. As stated, I haven't had the joyful experience of buying a new gun since M114 went into effect. I knew it'd be a pain in the butt. Moving down to the Florida panhandle to be close to my daughter and granddaughter is looking better every day. The politics in play here now have pretty much ruined Oregon for me. I left Colorado to come here 47yrs. ago because of the same BS that's been going on here for too long now. Never thought I'd ever want to leave. :(
Yep. I bailed on CA in the early 90's and moved to UT. Loved it there but pay/job market sucked. Back to CA for a killer job…lasted 4 years and moved to OR. Been here 23 years. It was great when we moved, but things have accelerated in a downward spiral lately. Problem is kids all live here. We're in Southern Oregon, kids are in Central.

Tried to find somewhere else, but if it was affordable the weather sucked or crime was an issue. Wife can't stand heat or humidity, and the older I get the more I hate the cold.