I just picked up this Ltd Edition GP160

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
I just snagged a NIB 2008 Limited Edition 6" GP160 half lug barrel revolver. The finish looks duller than it really is-because, I didn't remove the protective coating of BREAKFREE CLP before taking the following pictures. I must report that there is a dramatic improvement in the trigger pull on this specimen! This is going to be my new shooter-and, I can't wait to try this gun out at the range! Please overlook the Brand name on the green box below the gun!:
P1050497.jpg

P1050496.jpg

P1050498.jpg

In this photo I overlaid some wood Hogue grips that I might install on this GP160 to doll it up a bit?:
P1050504.jpg

wixedmords

Blackhawk
That looks or will look fantastic with the checkered wood Hogue on it rugerrat.

I think the wood Hogue on a blued gun is a smokin' combo.

Nice purchase you lucky dog..... er.... rat. :)

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
T.A. WORKMAN":1jewg6s0 said:
Nice gun Rat!!
I have an earlier model in SS 1/2 lug design.
Terry

I was originally searching for the stainless, Ltd Edition Model KGP160 but, was only able to find the blue GP160. I figured that since this GP160 would only be a range gun I'm not worried about the finish getting damaged. Besides, the blue finish looks good to me, also! Thanks for the compliment!

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
My dealer has one just like that for $469.99. Is that about in the same neighborhood, pricewise, as the one you bought?
EarlFH

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
EarlFH":26h417r5 said:
My dealer has one just like that for $469.99. Is that about in the same neighborhood, pricewise, as the one you bought?
EarlFH

Yes, that price is close to the price I paid for mine! Actually, it is about $25 less than what I paid. A good deal IMHO!

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
1)I agree with everyone's positive comments regarding how good the gun looks-thanks!

2)Another thing that I like better about the half-lug barrel GP's, is that the finish of the barrel is much better than the "raw" look of the full lug barrel GP's!

3)Lastly, I love the nicer balance of the 6" half-lug barrel! It balances almost equal to the 4" full lug GP!

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
I've compared the feel of half-lug 6" GP100s versus 4" full-lug. To me, the "muzzle weight feel", stability and "ease of swing" seem identical. So if I can get a 6" gun that feels, points and swings like a 4", why the hell not!?

SargeMO

Single-Sixer
I think the blue, 4" fixed sight GP in this coon-figuration is about the perfect .357 DA revolver.

I'd like one in 10mm, please ;)

rhatimi

Bearcat
That is one sweeeeet lookin GP, kinda reminds me of the m29 used in the Dirty Harry films. I just don't see the benefit of ruger's 6" full-shrouded GP, too much muzzle heaviness, and looks unbalanced. Anywho nice buy and thanks for the pictures.

DogBone

Bearcat
Nice looking revolver.

I agree, I prefer the 6" barrel with the partial shroud, beautiful lines.

That, with the wooden grips, is simply a classy gun. Enjoy.

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
rhatimi":39ydw6vf said:
That is one sweeeeet lookin GP, kinda reminds me of the m29 used in the Dirty Harry films. I just don't see the benefit of ruger's 6" full-shrouded GP, too much muzzle heaviness, and looks unbalanced. Anywho nice buy and thanks for the pictures.

1)Well said! And, I agree that the m29 used in the Dirty Harry films compares favoribly in looks with the half-lug 6" GP.

2)I remember an old Camel cigarette commercial in the 1960's where the smoker in the Ad had commented that, "He'd walk a mile for a Camel"! Well, that pretty much describes how determined I was to find a half-lug 6" GP, in preference to a full-lug 6" GP.

3)Thanks for the compliment.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Beautiful revolver. I have a half lug stainless 6 inch bought 3 years ago in LNIB condition at the Louisville gun show for $289 out the door from a dealer (even a blind hog sometimes finds an acorn). He at first thought it was NIB (had a LOT of guns) and when he looked it up in his inventory list realized it was a trade-in so he dropped the price $50 and absorbed the tax. It has the tightest lock-up of any GP100 I have owned or felt--about .001-.002 end shake, .003 barrel to cylinder gap and very tight rotational lockup. I put a One Ragged Hole rear and Millet red front insert so these old eyes can get on target easier. You will love the balance and pointability of your new treasure. Congratulations on your find. Don

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
Tallbald":swn5vmgp said:
Beautiful revolver. I have a half lug stainless 6 inch bought 3 years ago in LNIB condition at the Louisville gun show for $289 out the door from a dealer (even a blind hog sometimes finds an acorn). He at first thought it was NIB (had a LOT of guns) and when he looked it up in his inventory list realized it was a trade-in so he dropped the price $50 and absorbed the tax. It has the tightest lock-up of any GP100 I have owned or felt--about .001-.002 end shake, .003 barrel to cylinder gap and very tight rotational lockup. I put a One Ragged Hole rear and Millet red front insert so these old eyes can get on target easier. You will love the balance and pointability of your new treasure. Congratulations on your find. Don

Wow! You really got a great deal and, an excellent KGP160! Thanks for the compliment on my new GP160 and for the history on your GP! How was the trigger on your gun whenever you first got it? I was originally looking for the stainless but I had to settle for the blue-but, I'm growing fond of the blue now-in view of standing in a river of various stainless revolvers(If ya kbow what I mean)!