I just don't get about being a fan of a college sports team

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stir in Chocolate.JPG

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
All I can say is GO NAVY!!!! BEAT ARMY!!!

Grew up playing football and lacrosse. Still had plenty of time for social life (mostly cheerleaders around 8th grade and up), woods exploring, hunting, fishing, dirt biking, you name it. My youngest Son was the same.

Love going to Navy games and enjoy the tail gate atmosphere and festivities. Tons of tents with command flags. I've come across many Vets who served in commands I did. It was an honor to meet them and hear their stories. Example being a F4 pilot/Nam Vet. He had the same story of sitting on an alert bird talking to the crew about life, and Navy football just as I did in the same squadron many years later on a alert bird except it was F14s and I was the crew member and the RIO was the Navy grad football player.

The Army Navy game is a holiday in my house. Has been for over 30yrs. Family, friends, former team mates, both Navy/Marine and Army folks all gather for the game at my place. We used to really put out a huge spread but as the years go on and we all age its tamed a bit. This year will be special as it will be my youngest Son's first Army Navy as a Navy man (He was sworn in on the field at last years Army Navy game).

Nothing to get.....if you enjoy it you enjoy it.....if you don't then move on and don't let it make you wonder abut it so hard for whatever reason that it would.

Did I mention GO NAVY!!!! yet? BEAT ARMY!!!!

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
Wow - good to see this thread. For a long time I thought I was alone in not following sports, but then a fellow shooting buddy who also doesn't follow sports theorized that most people who are enthusiastic about shooting don't follow sports and most people enthusiastic about sports aren't enthusiastic shooters. Apparently not quite true...

Regardless, I couldn't tell you the name of any player on any sports team today. I couldn't tell you who won what and when - with one exception: I know the Cubs won the World Series in 2016 because I discovered the 100+ year "curse" story.

I knew an older guy at work (~50) who was crazy about some college team and had all sorts of stickers and paraphernalia - yet he didn't go to that school, didn't live in that state, and had no relationship at all to the team. Maybe he just liked their colors.

Another co-worker howled at me when I told him "the only team I know is the Packers and their green and yellow uniforms". You'd think I slapped his kid.

Long ago, a friend who went to USC could not stand it that I graduated from UCLA and did not care a bit about whether UCLA won or lost. I paid no attention to the team - I didn't even know their colors.

I remember two guys in an Olive Garden bar getting into a heated argument over some college game. One guy was apoplectic - explaining, red faced, how "his" team had won the Squirrel trophy or whatever silly thing it was five years in a row.

I do see the value in playing sports - teamwork, persistence, character, good sportsmanship. I do appreciate the athletic skills.

I can't understand the rabid devotion (certainly in football [soccer]), when the players themselves don't come from the city or even country they're playing for.

Last edited:

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
I' used to be amazed that there are/where guys that didn't follow sports. I used to think they weren't "real men." I participated in baseball, basketball, kickboxing, martial arts and full contact karate. I was not an "entitled jock." My iq is 138 and I never needed special academic favors.

That being said, I can understand that a "jock" that really doesn't belong in college (academically) and gets a free ride is frustrating. However, if you get a really great quarterback, say at PSU, and he is a national celebrity he may drawl an extra 60,000 fans a year for a school. At 25 dollars a ticket that's $1,500,000 in ticet sales alone, not to mention concessions and added TV revenue.

A regular scholarship student generates zero revenue for the school. An individual can get upset/angry about this, however it is a matter of dollars and cents. A person will say that only a small few individuals dit this criteria, what about the others. The others count because if you assemble a powerhouse team you will create even more revenue.

It is time to wake up gentlemen. Education like any other institution is a business. Colleges tell people in their mid forties that an online degree will change their life. In most cases it will. It will put them between 35, 000 to 60,000 dollars in debt. Most people that age don't make a career change and are left with student loan payments, rather than added income.

"We are Penn State"

I' used to be amazed that there are/where guys that didn't follow sports. I used to think they weren't "real men." I participated in baseball, basketball, kickboxing, martial arts and full contact karate. I was not an "entitled jock." My iq is 138 and I never needed special academic favors.

That being said, I can understand that a "jock" that really doesn't belong in college (academically) and gets a free ride is frustrating. However, if you get a really great quarterback, say at PSU, and he is a national celebrity he may drawl an extra 60,000 fans a year for a school. At 25 dollars a ticket that's $1,500,000 in ticet sales alone, not to mention concessions and added TV revenue.

A regular scholarship student generates zero revenue for the school. An individual can get upset/angry about this, however it is a matter of dollars and cents. A person will say that only a small few individuals dit this criteria, what about the others. The others count because if you assemble a powerhouse team you will create even more revenue.

It is time to wake up gentlemen. Education like any other institution is a business. Colleges tell people in their mid forties that an online degree will change their life. In most cases it will. It will put them between 35, 000 to 60,000 dollars in debt. Most people that age don't make a career change and are left with student loan payments, rather than added income.

"We are Penn State"
And that money goes back to the football program, where they build a new stadium, or a new weight room, or give the new coach of $5 million dollar raise.
So how does that impact other areas besides athletics?

t-reg

Single-Sixer
I dont get it, but do love college (and pro) sports.
People in stadiums aren't clogging the rivers and stomping around the woods.
If GS plays at that level I'll go, lol.

Last edited:

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
And that money goes back to the football program, where they build a new stadium, or a new weight room, or give the new coach of $5 million dollar raise.
So how does that impact other areas besides athletics?
PSU college football generates all the other Penn State sports, such a soccer and women's sports, that don't create enough money to pay for coaches and uniforms let alone travel money, scholarships and the like.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
PSU also generated $792.4 million dollars in tourism for State College, PA as well as adding plus 5,000 jobs. I love when people talk about subjects, on an emotional level, rather than with factual analysis regarding a topic. It's like Ben Shapiro addressing liberal, emotional topics.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Commander-in-Chief's Trophy:
Air Force 21
Navy 16
Army 9

GO FALCONS!

All I can say is GO NAVY!!!! BEAT ARMY!!!
Did I mention GO NAVY!!!! yet? BEAT ARMY!!!!
It is strange but each day for over thirty years I got up and put on a US Army uniform. I was however also born and raised in Annapolis where the Naval Academy is the 'home town team'. I have always rooted for Navy.

Mike J

Hunter
I'm watching it too. The only thing is I don't care who wins. i often root for the underdog but a team going undefeated is special too. I just enjoy a good football game on occasion. So far so good. 🏈😎
It didn't go the way I wanted it to but it was a good game. Next year should be more interesting. They will meet in the regular season.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
It is strange but each day for over thirty years I got up and put on a US Army uniform. I was however also born and raised in Annapolis where the Naval Academy is the 'home town team'. I have always rooted for Navy.

That's ok Sir, my Father was an Army Ranger and my older Brother was an Army helicopter pilot and retired a full bird Colonel....I went Navy.

PSU also generated $792.4 million dollars in tourism for State College, PA as well as adding plus 5,000 jobs. I love when people talk about subjects, on an emotional level, rather than with factual analysis regarding a topic. It's like Ben Shapiro addressing liberal, emotional topics.
Again, I ask: how does any of that money benefit academics at that school?
I love it when people don't answer the question while belittling others.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I watch some sports. All professional. That ruffles some feathers. So be it. I never understood why people care about college sports so much.

ProfessorWes

Hunter
Watching the SEC Championship game is wracking my nerves.
Well, between last weekend's Iron Bowl and this weekend's SEC Championship, that's twice I've been disappointed.

Auburn: fourth and freakin thirty and you blew it?!

And Georgia, what the heck . . . ?

Yeah, I despise Nick Satan. Saban. Whatever.

At least Missouri had a good year. Projected to finish at the bottom of the SEC East they ended up going 10-2, finishing the season ranked #9 in the nation and earning a Cotton Bowl berth against Ohio State.

That's pretty much my involvement in collegiate sports: rooting for Mizzou football - I'm a Mizzou grad - and whoever's playing against Kansas, K-State and Alabama. And football is pretty much the only sport I care to watch, so that's about eight months out of the year I have no interest in sports.