I hesitate to post this,, but I hope it helps someone

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I hesitate to post this thread,, but maybe my experience tonight may help others.

I had to pull my gun,, as a precaution,, tonight,, due to the actions of another person.

I NEVER pointed it at them,, and had it close to my chest, in "low ready".

Now, the story.
We had a FoNRA meeting tonight at a local cafe. Miss Penny works nearby,, so I drove to meet her there. She was already there when I arrived. Where she parked,, there were no other cars nearby,, and she had pulled nose in. I pulled just past her,, turning away, and backing into the spot next to her. We were side by side.
As I was parking,, there was nobody around, nor any vehicles nearby.
Just after I got my truck in park, my cell phone rang, and as I answered it,, I saw a guy, a stranger,, a bit unkempt, come from across the parking area,, and the bushes there, heading directly at us. My first thought was; Beggar wanting money.
Well, as he entered the area between the vehicles,, he came to Penny's door, and grabbed the door handle, trying to open it.
I IMMEDIATELY dropped my phone, grabbed my gun into the ready position, one handed, and with the other hand, opened my door about 1/3rd of the way,, (and hanging onto it,) while VERY loudly,, saying; "Get away from her car!"
I fairly shouted the commands 4 times, w/o him complying. He did try & say something and had backed about 1-1/2 steps back from Penny's door handle.
I was about to hit him with my door to get him away from her, and me,, when he looked across the door panel, and saw my gun. He said; "You got a gun!"
He THEN,, moved towards the front of my truck,, saying; "I'm calling the police!"
I said; "Go ahead, please do!"
I got out, got Penny out & we moved inside the cafe. All the while, I never took my eyes off him. Removing ourselves from the situation.

In about 5-10 minutes,, 2 officers came into the cafe,, and when I saw them, I motioned to them I was "the guy!"
Well, 2 very polite officers came over & talked to both of us, briefly. As they approached, I spoke up saying I was armed & had CCW. The first officer said; "I figured so!"
I first (calmly) introduced myself & Penny. And why we were there. Another lady committee member was also there.
Then, I explained the following;
(1) An unkempt stranger had suddenly appeared, coming straight towards us.
(2) Said stranger attempted to get into my wife's car,, with her inside, frightening her a lot.
(3) Said stranger failed to obey 4 LOUD commands to back away.
(4) I never pointed my gun at him, even though I was quite ready if HE escalated the threat.
(4) That once he saw I was armed,, he finally moved away to a distance I felt I could use to get away from him.
(5) That I had kept my door between us to use as a shield, or as a method to hit him, INSTEAD of having to shoot him unless absolutely necessary.
(6) That my phone had been on, and that the caller was actually a member of our committee, and on his way over & could explain what he heard.

I then added the following;
That my son is a Detective of that County.
That a Lieutenant in his Dept knows both of us quite well, and would vouch for our character.

Both officers were quite polite, and to be honest,, felt as if all was quite understandable. That I was not in any trouble,, that they just wanted to verify our side of things.
Then, they allowed how the guy was "partially blind" and "thought" he was getting into his wife's car. I asked; "Does blindness keep you from hearing shouted commands?"
That got a smile. And a response of "No."
They didn't "grill me" or anything. In fact it went very quickly. Very professional,, and I think they handled things quite well.
Kudos to them both. I plan on stopping by their PD at some point to make sure their supervisors know how much I appreciated their professionalism.

As they were leaving,, I politely asked them to give my regards to their Lieutenant,, and to always go home safely.

Folks,, you never know who, what, when , where a potential threat may occur. But you also MUST be able to NOT overreact & do anything you'd regret.
I did not want to engage into any physical or potentially deadly altercation with him,, but I was prepared if necessary.
My plan had been to use my door first,, IF,, IF,, he'd tried anything w/o a weapon visible.

And I should have called 911 myself,,, but I didn't figuring that the guy already had. But, my son says I should have done so,, so that there is a recorded message of MY side of things. My mistake there.

Was this guy a problem or not? I didn't know. All I knew was what I was presented with.
He wasn't wearing glasses or anything indicating he had a vision problem. So,,, IF,, IF,, he does,, how was I to know that? And,, he went DIRECTLY to us,, and to Penny's drivers door, and was able to get his hand on the door handle. If he has any blindness, I'd surely question all of his moves that NEVER gave any indication of it.
This kind of stuff is exactly what officers are presented with when calls go out. They are unaware of anything,, and can only act upon the knowledge they have been given, as well as what they evaluate upon arrival at the scene.
When I hear about officer involved shootings,, (think about the Wisconsin shooting recently,) where the thug resisted, went around a vehicle, got a knife,, ALL BEFORE an officer fired his weapon. That officer acted properly,, and yet,, he's been vilified in the media,, while the thug was on Good Morning America (I think.)

But,, we ALL,, as responsible gun owners MUST,, MUST be extremely careful at all times,, to NOT over-react.
I was complimented by the other lady committee member for my restraint & levelheadedness in handling this.

Maybe this experience can help others.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
contender said:
Maybe this experience can help others.
Well contender, it DOES provide us with a "calm" and well reasoned approach to
what we ALL hope never happens, but you handled (IMO) VERY well. 8)

VERY happy you and yours are well, and that the LEOs handled it the way all of us
would want it to be handled. :D . :D . :D

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I know just a bit about "partially blind" folks and this doesn't seem right. Keep in mind "partially blind" has numerous meanings--one good eye and one not, poor distance vision but OK near vision(or the opposite), limited visual acuity to name a few. I agree that some of the actions don't follow the "partially blind" method of movement or account for the lack of communication. A visually impaired person might notice a color from a distance but not be able to walk directly to the vehicle and grab the door handle. A person who legitimately thought the car was his(wife's) would have said so right away. I'd say you encountered a very questionable guy who had some reason to approach your wife's vehicle.
I don't agree with the idea that the first 911 caller is the "good guy". Honestly, if I'm in a serious SD scenario, fiddling with my phone isn't going to be a high priority. When my co-worker and I had that little kerfuffle in St. Charles in 2019 she asked me later if she should have been calling 911 during the confrontation. I said "No, I needed you to be paying attention and watching my back NOT playing with your phone".

contender

Ruger Guru
I didn't mention this,, but I deal with a guy daily,, who is legally blind in one eye. He works for me. So,, yes,, I'm actually very familiar with "partial blindness."

All that aside,, I'm totally glad it all ended peacefully, and w/o any incident that for the most part,, wasn't serious in the end. But,, I'm sure the LEO's ran a check on our vehicles,, (I'd be shocked if they hadn't,) and also checked out this individual as well.
By the way the officers I spoke with handled their interaction with us,, I fully think they were already of the mind that that individual had done things very wrong,, and had been the reason things went they way they did.
All in all,, my main point is I want all of us to learn that you MUST make totally sure deadly force is necessary BEFORE using it,, and try hard to make it your last resort. But at the same time, be prepared to do so.
As I mentioned, my truck door was going to be my first method of trying to stop this person before he could do any harm to us.

It goes back to a lesson I learned many decades ago in Karate.
My Master taught;
"In a fight, your best weapon is your legs,, run like hell.
But if you can't run, stop someone before you hurt someone.
Hurt someone before you get hurt.
Maim someone before you get maimed.
And lastly, absolutely lastly,, kill someone before being killed."
Basically, "Use the least amount of force necessary to stop whatever is happening & then get away."

And the idea of calling 911 myself. My son explained it this way. If I call, and they also have another call, the recordings can & will be used in court. If my call expressed the initial approach, the attempt of him getting into Penny's car, & my actions,, all in a calm manner,, w/o any hidden info,, it will look better for me,, to a prosecutor,, OR,,,,,,,,, OR,,,,,,,,,,, to a jury etc if I were to be sued etc.
So, if I had placed a 911 call, AFTER I had gotten us safe,, it would have been better,, just in case.

Cholo

Staff member
I'm glad everything turned out okay. I hope it's a message to those who say if their gun comes out someone's getting shot. I can't agree with that mindset, your case being a good example.

I too am glad it ended without a shot being fired and everything turned out fine.

It’s funny that guy called the police. I would think someone up to no good would just walk away. But who knows what he was thinking. The whole situation seems weird.

vito

Hunter
I wonder if your son were not a police officer and if you could not mention a local Lieutenant who could vouch for you, would things have gone differently with the officers.

contender

Ruger Guru
vito,, I did NOT mention those points until after I had explained my actions & what we saw.
It was more to let them know that I could be viewed as a "credible" person.

And I just spoke with the Lieutenant. He's seen the report,, and was totally fine with things. I called him,, mostly to compliment him on his officers.
I won't get into details,, but let's say all is good. And he truly appreciated my call.

Well done TY and I feel very 'proper',, and as mentioned above and pointed out, it DOES make a difference who the FIRST caller is that calls 911 or the PD, see it happen all too often around here, heaven forbid you even hold up a firearm , when another driver appears to threaten you......we always tell folks if threatened in any way, call 911 and keep them on the phone, the calls are recorded.........

my money would be on Miss Penny to poke the dude in the GOOD eye,. and take care of herself, bless her little heart...... 8) :roll: :wink:

Good job Ty! Glad it worked out. That person had nooo idea who he was messing with! I too would bet on Ms Penny being able to make a statement! The poor perp was in double jeopardy!
gramps

I see a very important lesson in this and it shows that one needs to not only be prepared and aware of what is going on but also be cautious of what appears to be going on....

I had a neighbor tell me a story much like this where all indications were that two large men were on his front porch in the middle of the night trying to open his front door and arguing about it.... what was actually happing is they were bouncers at a local club who had brought a drunk patron back to his house and the idiot (who was the next door neighbor) had told them the wrong house and while they were tying to open the door with his keys he fell off the porch in the bushes...

kmoore

Buckeye
As others already posted, he sure could see fine when he looked at your gun. Who knows for sure, but the story sounds like he is a aggressive beggar or worse.

Mike J

Hunter
Thank you for sharing your experience. I would prefer this had not happened but it seems you handled it well. I honestly hope I never find myself in a situation where I believe it necessary to unholster. You may have saved that fellow major problems in the future by giving him a wake up call of sorts.

Latest posts