I have recently acquired a P97....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

resident

Single-Sixer
I have recently acquired a used P97. I bought it from a nice gunshop down near League City, TX (The Arms Room) and I can vouch for their selection, service, and the owner's affability.

The P97 looked new, although it was a used gun...came with the original box, mags and accessories. Looked slightly fired only.

It malfunctioned horribly. In an attempt to fire 15 rounds it jammed, failed to extract, stovepiped, mis-fed 7 times. No more than a single shot could be fired at a time. Disappointed is an understatement.

I took it back to The Arms Room and they happily shipped it back to Ruger and told me "Either Ruger will make it right...or we will."

I had also complained that I thought the slide-stop was too easily dislodged and the nose of the firing pin seemd a bit sharp-edged.

Well...it's back and I took it out to test it. (Ruger had replaced the slide-spring-block assy, and the slide-stop assy, and safety-test-fired it 20 rounds with customer's mags (factory originals) and returned it to the store, where I went to pick it up.)

It has fired a half-box of PMC factory 230 gr "ball" flawlessly with no malfunction of any sort. The slide stop remains in place (although it is still surprising to me that it can be removed so easlily.... no detent holds it in place at all..... the spring-plunger only appears to keep it from jumping up to engage the slide during recoil...it does nothing to prevent it sliding left, out of the frame. Only friction appears to keep it in place other than the tab inside the slide. (I'm certain that sideways pressure during manual manipulation might allow it to disengage... but during firing at least, it did not malfunction.)

The previous owner had installed some brand of rubber, finger-grooved grip over the regular factory grips, and I like that very much. (I've never liked Ruger auto pistols except for the .22 Standards I've owned....the latest version being the Mark III with which I am in LOVE... it's their best auto .22 yet! I wish they made that thing in 9mm, similar to a Luger/P08. My chief complaint is the bulky, blocky, feel of the Ruger autopistols. This rubber finger-groove grip combination on this P97 feels VERY good, however.)

Well... I'll quit for now. Just a bit curious if anyone has any real factual information on the slide-stop issue and what the differences are between the original, which seemed to prevail with complaints, and the replacements, which I presume Ruger installed on this repair. I am very curious why Ruger did not see fit to have a proper detent for retaining the spring-plunger of the slide stop assy...instead of a "ramp" for easy re-assembly. It would have been so easy to copy the Colt 1911 in this regard. (Except for the additional complexity of disassembly, I could also be appreciative of a C-clip or E-clip on the right-side End of the slide-stop pin, in order to retain it. I guess if it proves a future problem I will have a machine-shop cut a groove and install the clip.)

Feedback from other P97 owners who have/have not experienced problems with reliability on this model?

OH YEAH...forgot to give credit.... Ruger fixed this used gun for NO CHARGES other than $21 return freight which the selling dealer picked up.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
I don't have any experience with P97s new or used, but it's very reassuring to hear that Ruger worked on the pistol -- a used pistol -- for nothing but your time (+shipping) and returned it to you functioning that well.

I mean -- you buy a used product, it doesn't work the way you thought it would, you send it back to the manufacturer and they fix it? For $0.00? That sounds like a super Square deal to me, in the best sense of the term, and makes me glad to have bought a new gun from them.

If you look at the company, Ruger seems to have a tradition of Square dealing that came from Bill Ruger -- the company has NO debt, from what I've read, so maybe they treat their customers (even 'secondhand') the way they treat their finances. That's a good thing to hear about a manufacturer known for providing "value" -- which too often means: "You're on your own, pal."

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
The P97 is my favorite .45 auto and has been my main carry gun for about 5 yrs. My gun was one of the ones with a slide stop problem. It backed out around 300 rds. A call to Ruger got me a new slide stop, cam block and recoil spring in less than a week.From what I've read, Ruger had a bad batch of slide stops, apparently a hair too short and also there were some camblocks that were warped.. With the correct parts an easy fix I did have problem with the trigger blocker sticking but that was my own fault. Too much lube and crud buildup Just took the slide off and blew it out around the trigger blocker and firing pin channel with the over priced Gun Scrubber then a few drops of breakfree. It runs 100 percent now with any halfway decent ammo, factory or reloads. BTW, I have the Hogue slip on grip on mine. :?
BT

resident

Single-Sixer
Yes, I've now looked closely at the grip and it is a Hogue. (Didn't notice the brand-name on the rear edge at first.)

This is the second gun Ruger has repaired for no charge for me. 30 years ago I owned a Security Six which I thought I could make the trigger slicker. I managed to get the gun totally locked-up with the hammer half down... now it could be neither cocked nor disassembled.

My gun shop sent it back with my letter explaining how it was my fault, I'd owned it over a year (this is back when Rugers had a 1-yr warranty) and I was not a gunsmith and yet I had made unauthrized attempts to work on it. I authorized them to repair it up to $100...please contact me if it would be more. Within two weeks the gun was back with all new springs, trigger, and hammer. No charge...not even shipping!

I've since owned over two dozen Rugers. Guess why.

P90

Single-Sixer
I have 2-97's. They were the newer ones, and never had any problems with them. They are good guns. Glad you got yours fixed and I'm sure you will like it. Ruger has always been good to me about fixing anything that is wrong with their guns. I sent a Single-Six .22 Revolver to them that I had worn out. They rebuilt it and sent it back to me at no cost. That's hard to beat.

Latest posts