I have a Mossberg 590A1. Please let me speak. Optics?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
First, I wanted a very durable pumpgun. Ruger didn't make any pumpguns so I HAD to go off the ranch. I chose based on military specifications and testing. I also had two Remington 870s, both now passed on to other important folks in my life.
My 590A1 has the ghost ring sight setup which is wonderful. But I'd like to be able to dial in 50 to 65 yard rifled slug shots from a bench if desired. My 590A1 is drilled and tapped (would have loved having this gun in 1975 when I had to have S.E. Davis gunsmith in downtown Louisville, KY drill and tap my first 870 for a Williams peep---cost me $30 at the time. Also had them install my lovely Poly-Choke for $29. And yes, Daddy signed for my 870 from JC Penny's, while I paid the princely sum of $129 plus tax instead of buying myself a high school graduation ring).
So folks of like mind:
Low power scope? Suggest an affordable make and model that won't shake apart from the rifled slugs mondo recoil please.
Red dot optics? Again. Make and model that will take the beating please.
Leupold is out of my price range. I must stay around $100 or less which limits me severely.
As a side note, I do have an Ultradot I never warmed up to for pistol use. And a 1990's 4x Bushnell Sportsman scope with adjustable objective that used to grace a spring air rifle. Either would be an ugly combo but I'm ugly too and deserve love.
I may be hunting for a unicorn, but it's the only hunting I can do nowadays.
Thank you for your tolerance of these questions from an old fat armchair hunter.
Don S.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Bushnell Trophy XLT Shotgun Scope 1.75-4x 32mm Circle-X Reticle - $94.99 free shipping.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1325268068/bushnell-trophy-xlt-shotgun-scope-175-4x-32mm-circle-x-reticle

I use a circle-X reticle on a 44mag rifle and like it very much.

Vortex

Bearcat
I use cheap red dots on my slug guns for deer season and they have all held up fine under recoil. And by cheap I mean BSA and Tasco $40 models.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I have a FN P-12 duty shotgun with the cantilever mount. I mounted a Weaver V3 with low rings. The V3 has the option of 1 power with a huge field of view or 3 power for shooting cloverleaf slug groups at 50 yards. The Bushnell mentioned prior would be a good choice, as well. Bob! 8)

grobin

Blackhawk
I put leather wood red dot on my mossberg 500 back about 3years ago. At dusk or dark it works well not so great in bright sun. I got it on an Amazon deal of the day for around $50. I see similar sights in the deal of the day every week for similar prices.

308dave

Bearcat
Don,
I've come across this thread kinda late but I have a slightly used Leupold VX-I shotgun scope that I'll let go for $100 bucks. Send me a PM if you're interested.

+1 on the Bushnell circle-X scopes, Trophy or Banner.

For a Red Dot I have a couple Bushnell TRS-25 red dots and have used on 44 mags, 45/70, and a Mossberg 500 12 ga with slugs and turkey loads (which kick more than slugs). No problems at all.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thanks to each of you who took the time to offer insight. Once Penny and I get some medical things paid off, I'll get something nice for myself (some shotgun optics) and request she get herself something equally nice for herself. Don.