I got made today and they saw my gun inside my 5.11vestshirt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
I bought a 5.11 Holster shirt with two slash style pockets in the chest that extend under the arms.

http://www.511tactical.com/holster-shirt.html

I normally only wear this 5.11 vest under a Magellan Light weight Short Sleeve Fishing shirt to hide the gun in the vest.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-mens-lake-fork-short-sleeve-fishing-shirt#repChildCatid=1591945

I wear the fishing shirt unbuttoned and untucked just to cover the gun in my 5.11 holster shirt's pocket and my extra magazines on my belt of my 5.11 tactical belt/pants.

http://www.511tactical.com/511-tactical-pants-mens-cotton.html

Today two guys arrived at my home to deliver a new refrigerator. And in the process of setting up the new Refrigerator and taking the food out of the old refrigerator and putting it all into the new one they noticed the gun in my shirt pocket. I never admitted that I was carrying a gun. But I did tell them that I do carry a gun. But when I pulled my smart phone out of the other side pocket from where the gun was located they were taken back. They thought that they had made a mistake and that I was carrying a smart phone in the pocket and not a gun. I never did pull the gun out of the other pocket. LOL. Not sure if they were fooled or not. But it taught me a good lesson. When carrying my little Ruger LC9S Pro inside the 5.11 holster shirt/vest pocket that I need to make sure that I wear the cover garment over the 5.11 holster shirt.

I may buy one of the 5.11 Shirts that has the quick access in the shirt button area so as to get to the gun in the 5.11 vest underneath the 5.11 top shirt.

http://www.511tactical.com/covert-shirt-single-flex-short-sleeve.html

But, inside the house I was only wearing the 5.11 holster vest over a regular type White T shirt. Which made it easier for them to see the gun. And right in the dinning room which is also the kitchen I had all my gun cleaning supplies laid out on a table. Then there was the Gamo Air Rifle Pellet Gun sitting in the corner of the kitchen next to the dish washer. So it was pretty obvious that I had guns in the house. I hid the Walther's little CSport .17 caliber CO2 semi automatic pellet pistol from Umarex. I put that in the bedroom. But I left my Walther's PPQ in it's bed side holster right on the couch where they could see it when they walked in though the living room to get to the kitchen. So that was a dead giveaway that I had guns in the house. I was going to hide that Walther's Gun too but forgot.

Before they arrived I laid down and take a short nape and waited for them to call me.

They didn't get there until about 3 pm. They had to take my front door off the hinges to get the refrigerator though the front door way. I had moved the furniture out of the way to give them room to get though the living room into the kitchen. The door way between the living room and the kitchen is huge and extra wide so it was easier to get to the kitchen that way instead of going though the attacked garage which is next to the kitchen. But the boat was in the garage and it was in the way.

I normally wear the PPQ on an OWB type Holster on my belt at 4 O'clock and then have to wear the Magellan Fishing Shirt over the top to hide that hostler and Pistol combo as the PPQ is almost a full sized pistol and has a 4" long barrel vs the 3" long barrel for the little Ruger LC9S Pro.

I've been going back and forth between carrying the PPQ and the Ruger. The 5.11 Holster Vest shirt lets me carry the Ruger easy in a Little Inside the Pocket Soft holster from Uncle Mikes. This little holster covers the trigger and the trigger guard well. And it fits the little Ruger LC9S Pro well. I added some Velcro to the holster with glue and staples so that I can Velcro the little holster to the side of my center console in my truck. That way I can leave the gun in my truck when I go into the Dr's Office or the Hospital.

I have a 511 shirtjac and I would never actually carry my pistol loose in the "under arm pocket". I want my pistol to stay exactly where I place it.
From your comments it seems you're concerned that the "delivery guys" may now know you have firearms and could possibly pass this info to a burglar????? If so, you should be extra careful about keeping stuff out of sight/locked up for a while.
Re: "being made".
I live in an open/CC/leave it in the gun rack in the back pickup window state. I have no real concerns about "being made". Monday, I went to a local tire shop to have some tractor tires swapped. The help wasn't quite over their weekend hangovers so I ended up helping in the interest of getting done in a reasonable amount of time. One of the guys is a well known low life/petty criminal type and he noticed my little SR22 on my belt when my vest hiked up. He sort of backed up a wee bit(convicted felon probably closer to a gun than legal) and asked if I was a cop. I asked if that really mattered and went on with the project. I've only had two people make a scene after seeing an OC belt gun and both were known felons.

garddogg56

Bearcat
So what's the problem.Are you worried they may come back? Like the man said you are in your own castle.Ya had a few hours to hide the guns..Situation awareness....

I don't want to be critical... but a LC9 pro needs to be in a holster in my opinion. That trigger is way to light to be uncovered while carrying...

My job takes me to folks houses all the time and it is not that unusual to realize the owner is carrying. Sometimes concealed and sometimes open.

louchia

Single-Sixer
My concern would be that the delivery guys could pass info to others who might come looking for your guns.
For that reason you should never tell the post office to hold your mail or the paper co. t hold delivery, etc. You just never know .
If anyone I do not personally know comes in my house, all is secured.
Do not mean to insult or start a testy exchange, but your choice of words, "got made" displays a certain frame of mind. Did you enjoy being "made"?

louchia

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
I kind of have a problem with that.... when I was growing up it was assumed that everybody had guns in their house... not one hidden away somewhere but numerous guns....

I fully understand what you say. Howerver, in my highly populated urban area, you have to be more cautious. Guns are not as common place as your experience.

louchia said:
My concern would be that the delivery guys could pass info to others who might come looking for your guns.
For that reason you should never tell the post office to hold your mail or the paper co. t hold delivery, etc. You just never know .
Do not mean to insult or start a testy exchange, but your choice of words, "got made" displays a certain frame of mind. Did you enjoy being "made"?
I don't get a paper. One of the biggest tip offs, that you aren't home is a full mailbox. I always hold my mail if going to be gone longer than a day or two. I have several neighbors that are felons.
gramps

louchia

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
louchia said:
I don't get a paper. One of the biggest tip offs, that you aren't home is a full mailbox. I always hold my mail if going to be gone longer than a day or two. I have several neighbors that are felons.
gramps
My thought is that you hopefully have a friend or relative who can pick up the papers and mail and check the house. I don't trust the people at the PO. or paper co. Making a call to hold delivery starts a chain of people that have to be informed. Who knows who the may tell. I guess I'm just paranoid, or may it's just being careful.

louchia said:
I fully understand what you say. Howerver, in my highly populated urban area, you have to be more cautious. Guns are not as common place as your experience.

Oddly enough, actually had that discussion yesterday after church while on a committee and we were discussing concealed carry there and one guy was pointing out the same thing... in regards to people's opinions about guns... and the difference between rural and urban.