I got an itch......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tommyboy

Bearcat
an itch to buy another gun. I have a vaquero and convertible blackhawk and was thinking maybe a matched set of stainless vaqueros in 45 for sass.
I looked at the sass model, but think i'll stick with the standard vaquero.
here's the question; why doesn't ruger have a custom shop, like colt, where i can get different grips (ivory?) or engraving or....
I saw a consecutive # set of vaqueros for 900 bucks and was thinking of some custom grips and a new double holster rig. i've dealt with Nutmeg before for grips for my colts, anyone get vaquero grips from them? is there another outfit you'd recommend?
I'm thinking the 4 5/8 guns would be best for cowboy shooting and fast draw. is that right?
thanks in advance
tom

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Expense for starters.

There's a TON of grip makers and you can get your Ruger engraved.

CASS and fast draw are two diff things. :)

tommyboy

Bearcat
CASS and fast draw are two diff things

not around here. we're a group of guys who get together once a month and do the cowboy thing. we do fast draw, three gun and mounted shooting. we try to keep to the standards/rules, but we're not a club or anything. aren't any real events nearby, so we make do. :D
tom

contender

Ruger Guru
Ruger tried to offer engraving on guns,, and it was too expensive & low income return. Baron Engraving did a lot of the work,, and sets of guns are available.
Many SASS shooters use the 357's for competition as it's cheaper & usually faster in competition.

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
tommyboy,

I'm in the same boat as you. I have recently contracted the itch for a set of vaqueros. Here are my thoughts: Get the SASS set from Ruger. They have the Montado hammers & wide rear sight cut-outs etc. Most don't like the SASS logo on the cheap plastic grips. No biggie. Put them in the drawer and slap on a set of custom stags or something similar.

The SASS set will always have a market for re-sale if you should ever get the itch for something else. You may even make money on the set someday. Who knows. Only time will tell that.

Also, you mentioned 45's. Have you entertained the thought of 357's? They both have their pro's and con's. I just thought I'd make things more difficult by adding 357's to the mix. Keep us posted on what you come up with.

tommyboy

Bearcat
Get the SAAS set from Ruger.

bearhawk,
i just happen to see a cons # set of vaqueros on gunbroker. the opening bid was $899, and no one has bid yet! it's amazing to me cause the same guns in a colt box are $3200+
but, i agree with you about swapping the grips on the sass models. the hammer would make quick draw easier.
someone else mentioned 45 vs 357. I have the 357 black hawk already and i reload for it, but i'm wanting another 45lc because the wax bullets and black powder rounds seem to be easier to come by. I shoot mounted single action, so those things are important to me. also, i shoot a 45 1892 in 3 gun so i'm planning to reload 45's real soon.
ya know, this is a great place to talk guns! i'm on a few other forums and moderate on one, but this one is the best!
tom

Latest posts