I fell in love again with my old .45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mill428

Bearcat
My wife finds me amusing sometimes when I rearrange the furniture in our house. It seems I am never content with leaving things alone. About every six months or so, I "adjust" the setting of one or more rooms in the house.

This is generally the case with everything in my life - my home, my vehicles, and my guns. I like a little variety now and then. Which brings me to my stainless .45 Colt/ACP BH I got 20+ years ago. Surprisingly I have done almost nothing to it - just shot it.

A few weeks ago, I came across the original box that got me thinking and sparked the need to ask a few questions about it here. I found out it was 1 of 537 Ruger made for a special run at Davidsons in the early 90's. I thought that was kind of cool. For those who are curious, this I what it looked like.

40c22b6a-71ad-44b3-9313-94346213d73f_zps54766836.jpg

That thread got me thinking about options for this BH. While this had always been a favorite Ruger, what I really wanted was a Bisley .45. I was a follower of Ross Seyfried's writing in G&A back in the early 90's when he was creating all of his Bisley hand cannons. I immediately went out and found the first Bisley I could find - a blued 7.5".44 Mag SBH. Although some don't like them, I loved the grip frame. Because I am a short barrel fan, I didn't like the barrel length but it was all I could find at the time. A few years later I cut the barrel shorter to 5.5", removed the barrel lawyer-speak and the cylinder scrolling, silver soldered the original sight pack on, installed a steel ERH, and reblued the whole thing with Brownell's Belgium blue (which works far better than I thought it would). The SBH was almost exactly what I wanted - accurate, fun to shoot, but it wasn't a .45. I reload and have had great fun working up loads over the years for my .45 convertible - but my .45 wasn't a Bisley.

Most of you have probably guessed by now what has transpired. I don't know why I hadn't swapped grip frames before. I had tried in the past on another short barrel SBH I had at the time and can remember the frames didn't line up at all. I scrapped the idea because I didn't want to grind on either gun or grip frame at the time. But I had never tried the Bisley frame swap over to the .45. I did it last week and it fit almost as if it were made for the gun. There is an almost imperceptible ridge on one side but the rest fits clean and smooth.

I decided if I was going to continue to make it truly mine, I would give it a few extra "touches." I started by removing the billboard on the barrel, then bead blasted it with a fine glass abrasive. Nothing too drastic. Then I polished the pins and screws for contrast. Smoothed the action and modified the pawl for free spin. I had already slightly rounded the Bisley grip frame years ago, but I reworked the factory grips a little more. So far I am very pleased with the results. I can't keep my hands off of it! If I'm not careful, my wife might get jealous. :D Some might think I ruined it. But to me, it's perfect!

What do you think?

Bisleyconv_zpsfcae605d.jpg

Although I left it two-tone, I may at some point have the frame hard-chromed. Then again, I might not. I want to get a Bowen rear sight on it before long. I love the way it balances with the short barrel over the longer. The Bisley frame is my favorite. It is like it was made for my hand - very natural. It's blowing snow here today or I would be outside finding out how it shoots but I guess I will have to wait a few days for that. It'll give me some time to get all my brass re-charged. :D

For those of you that are interested in seeing the SBH transformation, here are a few pictures for you. I have a lot more of the total process but these give you the idea.

New

NewBisley44_zpscdfad1bf.jpg

After the initial work (and much shooting)

Bisley44_zps5cfa4b00.jpg

Today

44SBH2_zps9ccce900.jpg

I don't think the SBH turned out too bad either. I kind of like the two toned look on it for something new. I also like the way the grip frame feels now. I'll know more once I get it to the range.
For those who are worried that I defaced a rare BH, I have all the parts to put it back to original (minus the billboard :) ). Although I am not worried - I'll never get rid of it.

Craig

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I'm not all that fond of the Bisley, but I do like the Super Blackhawk.

These are your guns. You are the one they should suit. Few folks don't like what I do to my guns, but as I said.........

Bob Wright

mill428

Bearcat
Hammerdown77 said:
I wish they offered this configuration from the factory!

Hammerdown77, I totally agree! I would probably had to buy a few. I don't know why Ruger doesn't make any blued 5.5" BHs or SBHs with as many custom guns being shortened to that length. Must be some logistical manufacturing issue. I certainly think they would sell.

Thanks for the comments. I am completely happy with the way they both turned out. Bob, as you indicated, that's all that matters. On the other hand, I also like the fact that it is completely reversible. If I want to change things back one day, I can. Variety is the spice of life!

Craig

KEN TN

Bearcat
Nice set up there. I feel lucky to have gotten a 5 1/2" Stainless Bisley in 45LC with 45 ACP conversion. It is my goto trail gun when out in the Mountains. I also picked up a Stainless Old Model 357 Bisley Vaquero. I just love the way they shoot and feel in your hand.

Ken

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
mill428 said:
Hammerdown77 said:
I wish they offered this configuration from the factory!

Hammerdown77, I totally agree! I would probably had to buy a few. I don't know why Ruger doesn't make any blued 5.5" BHs or SBHs with as many custom guns being shortened to that length. Must be some logistical manufacturing issue. I certainly think they would sell.

Thanks for the comments. I am completely happy with the way they both turned out. Bob, as you indicated, that's all that matters. On the other hand, I also like the fact that it is completely reversible. If I want to change things back one day, I can. Variety is the spice of life!

Craig

Yep, you really don't see that many 7.5" barreled Bisley 45s, the ones they still catalog. What you do see is the "Here's my 5.5" or 4.5" Bisley 45 that started out as a 7.5", before I sent it off to <insert famous single action gunsmith name HERE>"

Think Ruger would catch a clue.....

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Blackhawk
You and I have very similar tastes, both started out as 4 5/8" Blackhawk .45's.

The first has a Super Blackhawk treatment with an unfluted .45 acp cylinder.

IMG_2207.jpg

The second has a Bisley treatment.

IMG_1753-1.jpg

mill428

Bearcat
MOUNTAIN WILLIAM said:
You and I have very similar tastes, both started out as 4 5/8" Blackhawk .45's.

The first has a Super Blackhawk treatment with an unfluted .45 acp cylinder.

IMG_2207.jpg

The second has a Bisley treatment.

IMG_1753-1.jpg

We do indeed have similar tastes. You have a fine set of short barrel BH's! I love the stag grips. I too swapped out the original trigger and hammer for a SBH set on mine long ago. It was out of a stainless SBH that had some trigger work done and I liked the way the hammer worked and looked on the .45.

Thanks too for giving me an idea of what a stainless grip frame would look like on mine. I haven't decided if I want to hard chrome this frame or try and find a stainless Bisley frame.

Craig

M'BOGO

Buckeye
The pictures are mostly gone from the original post, I feel cheated! It is a lousy situaton pertaining to the stainless Bisley grip frames in the aftermarket.

The Bowen rear sights are dangerous if you own a few Blackhawks. You get one, and realize how nice they are, then the price goes up and you need a few more, have to sell the couch to afford them, and when the wife gets home you really get it :D .

mill428

Bearcat
M'BOGO said:
The pictures are mostly gone from the original post, I feel cheated! It is a lousy situaton pertaining to the stainless Bisley grip frames in the aftermarket.

The Bowen rear sights are dangerous if you own a few Blackhawks. You get one, and realize how nice they are, then the price goes up and you need a few more, have to sell the couch to afford them, and when the wife gets home you really get it :D .

Sorry M'BOGO, I didn't mean to cheat you! I messed around with my photobucket account yesterday and moved the pictures. Everything should be back in place now.

I hear you on the Bowen sights! I priced them a few weeks and was stunned at how much they were for something so small. I have a feeling they would be worth it in the end. Who needs a couch anyway? :D

Craig

silverback

Blackhawk
great looking weapons. that satin finish on the stainless is the way they should come from the factory. i wish i had access to the equipment. i like the contrast in frame nice look. what did you do to the gips? nice smooth lines. great work.

mill428

Bearcat
Thanks silverback! I agree with your comment on the satin finish. I love the look for something different. My wife gave me a blast cabinet for my birthday a number of years ago and I use it for everything. I started out using it to clean parts on cars I was restoring and realized I could use it for my other "hobbies" too. Half of my stainless handguns have been run through the bead blaster, and the other half may be headed that way if the urge hits.

I like the frame contrast as well. I wasn't sure at first but it has grown on me. Its kind of a reverse contrast to what you see frequently. I still can't believe how balanced this BH feels now with this grip frame. The grips I hand sanded and finished up on the buffing wheel to kind of "melt" the edges. No sharp corners. Then I gave them about 10-12 coats of boiled linseed oil which produced a warm colored low gloss finish. I thought it turned out fairly well considering they are the original poorly fitted bisley grips. I have some burled walnut and oak pieces set aside to make a couple of better sets one of these days.

Thanks again for the comments.

Craig