I don't see this as an upgrade on the Mark lll...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CCW

Bearcat
Am I missing something because I don't understand the benefit of installing a hammer bushing on a Ruger Mark III. They say that this will allow you to fire the pistol without the magazine but that would only be one round, what's the advantage?

I ordered a " stainless filler" for the loaded chamber indicator on my Mark lll and thought about installing the hammer bushing at the same time but when I did a little research I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

Zorba

Bearcat
Its worth the effort.

Not because of the "one round advantage", but because it 1) Improves the trigger quite a bit, and 2) makes it a LOT easier to take down and reassemble the gun.

Replacing the LCI isn't worth the effort... :mrgreen:

Danno

Bearcat
I have a 22/45 and have installed both the bushing and LCI. Very pleased with both changes.

The bushing is a pretty easy little project and the benefits are great. 1) the magazines drop free since the pressure of the mag disconnect is gone. Don't have to pull them out. 2) biggest benefit is reassembly. With the mag disconnect gone, the pistol can be dry fired (which Ruger says is OK). Means you don't have to insert the mag to release the hammer during reassembly. Makes the secret handshake even easier. 3) some say it improves the trigger. I'm not so sure, but I find the trigger pretty acceptable as it is. Just fine for aggressive paper and tin cans.

Removing the LCI can be a bit of a chore but ultimately worth the effort. Honestly I never really minded the LCI, mostly just ignored it. But .22 is pretty dirty ammo to begin with and the LCI made cleaning behind the tab nearly impossible. Once it was gone I was fairly impressed with how much gunk had built up behind it.

With these two little mods, clean up and reassembly are a breeze.

CCW

Bearcat
Danno, I'm probably in the minority but I really don't like the magazine dropping all the way out (mine always wind up in the sand) so leaving the factory bushing would probably be best for me.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
CCW said:
Am I missing something because I don't understand the benefit of installing a hammer bushing on a Ruger Mark III. They say that this will allow you to fire the pistol without the magazine but that would only be one round, what's the advantage?

I ordered a " stainless filler" for the loaded chamber indicator on my Mark lll and thought about installing the hammer bushing at the same time but when I did a little research I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

There are several reasons why replacing the magazine disconnect parts with a "GOOD" replacement hammer busing is beneficial. First, and foremost, the magazine disconnect parts don't allow your magazines to click into place positively, and they sure don't help the magazines to vacate the grip frame when you hit the magazine release. Now, there are several copies of the "originally perfected" hammer bushing as produced by Sam Lam that will cure this problem. There was an originally produced picture of an attempt to make a replacement hammer bushing, and all that crappy thing did, was replace the original hammer bushing, spring and disconnector plate on the right side of the hammer. NOT good enough.

I've been a student of the late Jim Clark Sr. for over 40 years. The man knew these Ruger Mark pistols inside and out. His findings involved a Ruger Mark pistol hammer bushing should be a "press-fit" entity so that the bushing doesn't rotate and becomes a working part that follows how the hammer rotates. Makes perfect sense, if you are a competitive shooter, or one who likes to shoot tiny groups. If you don't care about that, stop reading here, and be happy with what you have.

Here, at S.G.W. LLC we have come up with our hammer bushing for the Ruger Mark III and 22/45 pistols that will offer a slight "press fit" into your hammer. Despite what some of those other "dudes" claim, one size hammer bushing does NOT fit all of the Ruger or Volquartsen hammers. All manufacturing has tolerances involved, or they'd be so expensive, we couldn't afford any of 'em. But, some just don't understand that, because they only resell what they buy and don't get into the actual manufacturing of the parts, you and other good shooters, pay GOOD $$$$ for.

You are ALWAYS welcome to discuss how much better your Ruger Mark Pistols will be able to perform if you take the time to contact S.G.W. LLC at [email protected] We 're not in the business of selling fertilizer, we make Ruger Mark pistols better.

CCW

Bearcat
Despite what some of those other "dudes" claim, one size hammer bushing does NOT fit all of the Ruger or Volquartsen hammers.

I know you're right about this because I read several reviews on aftermarket hammer bushings and a common complaint was that the bushing didn't fit properly. Many people said that they had to use a Dremel to make it fit.

m657

Buckeye
The LCI in my son's LITE was a mistaken idiotically PC driven complication that in fact DID contribute to ongoing issues of functional errors with his pistol. Removing it was not difficult and well worth the effort.

After considerable time, effort & expense of installing new parts to make it actually function reliably and accurately, his amazingly light LITE performed nearly as well as a box stock Mk II T512.

"They say that this will allow you to fire the pistol without the magazine but that would only be one round, what's the advantage?"
It all depends on what you expect to do with your 22 pistol. One scenario is when using a MK3 as a trapline pistol. Lets say you want to load and fire ONE shot- so you rack the bolt and remove magazine. MK3 won't fire the chambered round now will it? The choice is to carry a magazine with one round and then fumble to reload it at every set or fumble with unloading the chamber(often dropping the round in the mud, snow, water, and/or grass --- losing a 10 cents in the process).
Much easier AND SAFER to chamber a round, remove the mag, and fire the shot.

wwb

Hunter
CCW said:
Danno, I'm probably in the minority but I really don't like the magazine dropping all the way out (mine always wind up in the sand) ........

I find that with my 1911s, if I put my left hand a couple inches under the grip when releasing the mag, they don't end up in the sand. YMMV

CCW

Bearcat
I find that with my 1911s, if I put my left hand a couple inches under the grip when releasing the mag, they don't end up in the sand. YMMV

That won't work for me, I'm left handed.

Zorba

Bearcat
CCW said:
Replacing the LCI isn't worth the effort... :mrgreen:

But a little cosmetic work will make the pistol pretty, I'm sure you can relate to that Zorba

I can - but I happen to actually *like* the LCI!

wwb

Hunter
Jeepnik said:
Heck, the entire MKII and MKIII series' are far from an improvement over the MKI. But folks always seem to want to mess with success.

I would say the Mark II was an improvement over the RST and Mark I pistols.... hold open on an empty mag, and separating the bolt lock and safety functions were both a big plus. Then, they had to screw things up with the Mark III.

"Heck, the entire MKII and MKIII series' are far from an improvement over the MKI."

IMHO A VERY significant improvement in safety with the last shot hold open/separate safety as WWB mentioned on the MKII. The MKIII was just an attempt to satisfy the "nervous nellie" crowd.

wwb said:
Jeepnik said:
Heck, the entire MKII and MKIII series' are far from an improvement over the MKI. But folks always seem to want to mess with success.

I would say the Mark II was an improvement over the RST and Mark I pistols.... hold open on an empty mag, and separating the bolt lock and safety functions were both a big plus. Then, they had to screw things up with the Mark III.

It ain't a combat gun. And, I can count without using my fingers. Why would I need a hold open device?

Also, then MKI is perfectly safe. As safe as any firearm ever made. Then again, I only rely on the safety between my ears.

1bdvet

Bearcat
I found with few mod. to the gun. it's great gun for competition shooting, between trigger and magazine release, it's lot fun at the range.