I can't believe my good fortune (pic heavy)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gwnorth

Bearcat
Last weekend I bought a S&W 65-3 from a great guy in N. VA. The other day, he got in touch with me again. Seems he had been going through his safe looking for things he might list, and knowing I was a Ruger fan, asked me if I would be interested in a 3 inch stainless Police Service SIx. Before I even clicked on his picture links, I was thinking "of course I am" (this person takes exceptional care of his guns, so I knew it would be good).

Turns out to be a pristine gun - serial prefix 162 (so from 1988), originally bought by a collector in 1988 who shot it a very few times, then tucked it away in a safe. This thing is truly as close to factory new as a 22 year old gun could be - still not only in original box, but in the original plastic!

With the holidays, other recent gun and gun stuff purchases, my available ready cash is pretty limited for the remainder of this month. We worked out a trade though, and I could not be happier.

SS_box.jpg

SS_box2.jpg

SS_in_box.jpg

SS_in_box2.jpg

SS_3inch.jpg

SS_3inch_3.jpg

2010 is off to a good start. 4" police service six picked up just before Christmas, S&W 65-3 last weekend, and now the 3" service six:

SS_3inch_and_bros.jpg

Wild Bill '67

Single-Sixer
Good job, gwnorth!!! And great pix by the way. Nice job with the camera.

Other than the K frame S&Ws, those Police, Service and Security Sixes in 3" or 4" are just about the best packin' pistols IMHO. And they are really strong with that lack of a side plate compared to the 19s, etc.

I am keeping my eye on a blue 4" Security Six at a local shop. I think they are asking way too much, must be trying to emulate gunbroker. If they drop $75 or $100 off with cash up front, no trades, I may get it.

gwnorth

Bearcat
Thanks. I need to get a separate flash for my Nikon D50 though and use a diffuser. It's so hard to keep the glare down on stainless.

It sounds like next weekend is going to be nice, so I'm planning on taking the whole trio to the range for a workout.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Gawd almighty ... lose those disgusting grips and put the factory wood back on it ....

REV

bub

Single-Sixer
Thanks. No, really, just thanks a lot! I have a hankerin' for a 3" M65 for an off-duty carry gun, and you have to go show not only a 3" M65, but also a 3" Service Six. I hate you. I really, really do.

Seriously, good score there. Should pack real well, if you choose to do so. While I really want a 3" M65, a 3" Service or Security Six would be good, too. Stronger, so I could shoot .357 out of it if I so chose. I just can't afford one right now and I can't find anyone local who wants to trade for one. How about a nice S&W M649 Bodyguard, .357 and pre-lock, for your M65? Straight up? I'll even drive to you. C'mon, you KNOW you want to!

Bub

ian03

Single-Sixer
revhigh":jgk4w1g4 said:
Gawd almighty ... lose those disgusting grips and put the factory wood back on it ....

REV

Couldn't have said it better myself.

gwnorth

Bearcat
revhigh":1x2cj3cm said:

REV

:) I took the pics about 15 minutes after getting home from making the trade, so that is exactly how I'd received it. I have a T-grip coming for the 4" S. six, so I will try that on the 3" first, since I like the CDNN grips that I have on the 4" already.

The Ahrends I put on the 65-3 are so nice, I wish he made some for the Service Six too.

And sorry Bub, these are all keepers for me.

gak

Buckeye
What a score! Love those 3 inchers--both brands. I've got a 65LS ("Lady Smith") that--for me--is the best of the S&W bunch. Pre lock and hammer pinned, and only S&W K/.357 I know of combining 3", fixed sight and shrouded ejector,...and add to that satin stainless. Initially didn't think so, but about two seconds to get over the scripted moniker on the side. Keep your collection going with that Speed Six and one of these LSs. But, for now--nice haul!

Man I like those Speed Sixes and Service Sixes! Especially in the short barrels. Ruger shoulda never quit making them. And had four selections in D/A guns to choose from. For those times when you want to carry something smaller and lighter than a GP100 but 6 shots instead of 5 like in the SP101.
Great pics too. You're a lucky guy.

gwnorth

Bearcat
I've always wondered how many of the Service Six in 9mm with the sprung cylinder mechanism were ever made. I'd just like to see one of those some time - as far as I know, no one else ever made a 9mm revolver that did not need moon clips, although I'm guessing that rugers' patent on the sprung cylinder is out of protection status by now?