I can't believe I've never done it before...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
I've been carrying CCW for about 5 years now, and I've read numerous books about it, but I finally realized I've never actually done much practice drawing and firing. Today I went shooting out at my granddad's and using my P95R I went through a 100rd box of WWB just drawing from concealment, firing one shot and reholstering. A few times I fired more that once but I'd bet I drew and fired a good 75 times. Not only did it help loosen my hoster up a little, but I became much more proficient at drawing, firing d/a and hitting something (I was aiming at an old propane tank at about 20 feet). I have to admit it was lots of fun, too!

Two Dogz

Bearcat
I have said many a time that the best gun to have in a fight is the one you have practiced with. I would rather have a .22 derringer that I could castrate flies with (a fantasy i know) than a 454 casul that I cant hit a barn with.

Congratulations!

Wild Bill '67

Single-Sixer
I think you are onto something there!!!

Many training programs are focused on the shooting aspect to the detriment of drawing or acquiring your gun. One draw with several magazine swaps.

Since alot of you carry concealed, you have to be able to get to it and draw a bead when it really counts.

Just like many "shooting range heros" it's kinda like the guy who can do some fancy roundhouse kick when warmed up and wearing a martial arts uniform. Different story in real life when you are cold, wearing jeans and boots and carrying a bag of groceries.

Keep practicing that draw with the setup you normally carry. You will ahead of 99% of the pack when it counts.

Thanks for pointing out the bigger picture with CCW.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Now what you need to do is sign up for a newcomer IDPA shoot. :D

Most fun I've had with my pistol so far and you'll learn a ton about shooting from the holster and shooting from cover.

tdyoung58

Bearcat
ConradM":fcoa7iaf said:

Most fun I've had with my pistol so far and you'll learn a ton about shooting from the holster and shooting from cover.

That you will

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
That's Great!

I practice many different things whan I'm at the range...

Draw & hip shoot (waist level)
draw & shoot from the 'Quick Kill' position (arm half raised)
draw & shoot laying on your back.
shooting 2 & 3 round bursts
2 second from draw to end of burst
5 targets in a Lazy T..............................T
..................................................T....T...T
..............................................................T

........................................................S
(center row is @ 7m, far target @ 10m, near @5m)
Targets are 17" x 22" cardboard on 2x2 @ torso height with numbered paper plate on top (head height)
I have a range partner call out the target to engage "on the draw".

I also practice from behind a barrier and from the prone position (on stomach).

This is similar to a training range we had set up in Nam. I was a Field Artilery officer, and all my NCO's also carried 1911's.

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
ConradM":2mjljxzd said:

That's something I definitely want to do. My brother did his first one a couple of months ago and he had a ball. I know I'd get laughed off the course but it would be fun and I think I'd learn a lot.

ConradM

Blackhawk
ab4ka":17pfpd8i said:
ConradM":17pfpd8i said:

That's something I definitely want to do. My brother did his first one a couple of months ago and he had a ball. I know I'd get laughed off the course but it would be fun and I think I'd learn a lot.

I don't think you would.. When I went it was obvious that nobody knew what they were doing. It took some people over 2 seconds to draw and fire a single shot at a target 7 yards in front of them. :lol:

wild_weasel

Single-Sixer
The first couple mags at the local range I'll de-cock between shoot to get extra practice at placing the first SA shot accurately. Since we are not allowed to use holsters at the range this is the best drill I've been able to come up with, and it does help.

Cheers,

jhstancil

Bearcat
IDPA will do more for you and your shooting than any thing else you could practice. Don't worry about being as fast as Rob Leatham...nobody is....at first. Just go to a match and join in. Most are geared for beginners and trust me they will make you feel welcomed.

GhosT

Blackhawk
3000 times to lock in Muscle memory.
That is the old school rule...lol

" I'd bet I drew and fired a good 75 times"
"but I became much more proficient at drawing"

Never think need 3000 rounds to improve.
But should be a goal.

" I went through a 100rd box of WWB just drawing from concealment, firing one shot and reholstering. "
This, a cool move.

JMHO, but...it is kinda like martial arts training...
Learn the basic move, practice slow at first....
Increase speed slow enough that still hit yer target.

ConradM

Blackhawk
I'll sometimes just stand in my living room dry firing from concealment until I start to get tired. :lol: Also practice tactical reloads.

Two Dogz

Bearcat
When I first got my P90 I made some wax loads that were propelled by small pistol primers with an oversized flash hole and would practice draw and fire in my garage on weekends (out side city limits of course) It annoyed my roomates but since I was armed they let it slide

:D

JohnKSa

Single-Sixer
If you're just starting to practice your draw, be sure you're doing it right. It's harder to unlearn a bad habit than it is to learn a new one.

I'm not saying you need professional instruction, but drawing and holstering a pistol, while simple, offer a lot of chances to make mistakes. Mistakes that have a good potential to leave you with an unwanted hole in yourself.

Armybrat

Buckeye
JohnKSa":2mq5tk8k said:
If you're just starting to practice your draw, be sure you're doing it right. It's harder to unlearn a bad habit than it is to learn a new one.

I'm not saying you need professional instruction, but drawing and holstering a pistol, while simple, offer a lot of chances to make mistakes. Mistakes that have a good potential to leave you with an unwanted hole in yourself.

No kiddin'.....just ask Plaxico Burress. :lol: