I can't believe I dropped my brand new LCR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Todd-LCR

Bearcat
Yep, I'm "that guy".

Not 3 hours after getting my brand new LCR home I was checking the fit of this new revolver on my belt when my belt accidentaly slackened, and the holster flips inverted and proceeds to dump the gun onto my foot and then to the carpeted floor.

I'm pretty tall so this was a freefall of about 3 feet, bouncing off my ankle and then to the carpet.

I didn't think anything of it until I shook the gun from side to side and heard a metallic ping as if something was rattled loose and is knocking on each side somewhere inside the trigger.

Please note the pinging stops when the trigger is at full pull and held.

I'm already resolved to sending it to Ruger but I don't remember hearing the pinging before the drop; so I can't be sure this is a real problem since the mechanism seems to be functioning normally.

Am I nuts to think this sound is normal? I'm sorry to be so dense, this is my first Ruger sidearm.

Thanks in advance for any insight for this newbie!

c.r.

Single-Sixer
first thing, welcome to the forum.

My first thought is that you MIGHT be hearging the transfer bar rattle around. But i'm not familiar with the LCR

On my GP-100, there is a rattle that sounds as if it's coming from the handle, however it is the transfer bar rattling around. However when I cock the revolver and place my finger on the transfer bar (basically preventing it from rattling) the rattle noise isn't there.

Sorry I can't help you more, but that's just my first thought and is very common on the GP-100s

~c.r.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
I also doubt that fall and landing on your soft shoe and then the soft carpet is more "violent" than shooting a round.

Todd-LCR

Bearcat
c.r.; thanks for the welcome!

I sure hope you're right and that this is a normal sound. I wish I had been more attentive so I could say one way or the other that it started after the fall or was always there.

I think if no one happens to know for sure my next step will to be to try and find another one in a store and give it a little shake and see if anything is audible.

I got mine at a show, I hope I can find one at a store!

c.r.":exseqcel said:
first thing, welcome to the forum.

My first thought is that you MIGHT be hearging the transfer bar rattle around. But i'm not familiar with the LCR

On my GP-100, there is a rattle that sounds as if it's coming from the handle, however it is the transfer bar rattling around. However when I cock the revolver and place my finger on the transfer bar (basically preventing it from rattling) the rattle noise isn't there.

Sorry I can't help you more, but that's just my first thought and is very common on the GP-100s

~c.r.

Todd-LCR

Bearcat
I'd certainly like to think so too!

But I keep thinking "what if it hit just right"... gah I hate it when I do something like this!

c.r.":7znvdbsb said:
I also doubt that fall and landing on your soft shoe and then the soft carpet is more "violent" than shooting a round.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
todd,

I was the exact same way when i first noticed that rattle/ping on my gp-100. My first thought was "I don't recall hearing that".

I know there are a few folks here that own an LCR. I'm sure you'll get some help from those guys tomorrow or Monday.

~c.r.

Todd-LCR

Bearcat
Thanks again c.r., I might be able to sleep now haha

I'll let this topic stew for a while and see what comes up.

c.r.":xp3onw5s said:
todd,

I was the exact same way when i first noticed that rattle/ping on my gp-100. My first thought was "I don't recall hearing that".

I know there are a few folks here that own an LCR. I'm sure you'll get some help from those guys tomorrow or Monday.

~c.r.

taphandle

Bearcat
I think a free fall from three feet or so to a carpeted floor should be a non issue for any decent gun. Being that it is a ruger it should stand up to alot worse than that.

JMHO

Redhawk1

Bearcat
The LCR has a loud rattle from the factory. I was going to get one, but I did not like the rattle nor the feel of the gun.

That rattle is normal.

Todd-LCR

Bearcat
Redhawk1 thank you So much!

And this is the LAST time I purchase a firearm in a loud environment. I too do not care for the rattle. I'm sure the action will work fine, but the rattle is annoying.

Thank you for confirming that the sound is normal, I am so releived!

Redhawk1":1vhzyec7 said:
The LCR has a loud rattle from the factory. I was going to get one, but I did not like the rattle nor the feel of the gun.

That rattle is normal.

Todd-LCR

Bearcat
I completely agree, and thanks for your input!

Blackbird fan here too!

taphandle":x1q2nhwc said:
I think a free fall from three feet or so to a carpeted floor should be a non issue for any decent gun. Being that it is a ruger it should stand up to alot worse than that.

JMHO

marlboro man

Bearcat
not to fear, my wife's LCR rattles like a baby's toy. was that way when we got it and i too didnt notice it until we got it home, but it functions fine so far.

Todd-LCR

Bearcat
Whew, ok a 2nd confirmation really helped. I guess I am neurotic after all haha!

Thanks Marlboroman

marlboro man":22puj0rf said:
not to fear, my wife's LCR rattles like a baby's toy. was that way when we got it and i too didnt notice it until we got it home, but it functions fine so far.

Todd-LCR

Bearcat
I might indeed, I'm trying out a leather job that looked really sweet for a small of the back application. It relies solely on gravity (no snap strap) but the fall was 100% my fault. I was cinching up my belt but my belt went temporarily slack.

The thoughtless part was I had already holstered the gun. Duh, put the gun in the holster AFTER cinching up the belt ya dummie (me not you)!

gjgalligan":3vlnny3n said:
Todd-LCR":3vlnny3n said:
, and the holster flips inverted and proceeds to dump the gun !

Sounds like you need a new holster also!

As to the gun falling, don't they have to pass a "drop test"?

Todd-LCR

Bearcat
To those of you who own this gun, could you please try this?

Immobilize the cylinder with the hand you're holding it with, and give it a side to side wiggle.

The reason I ask is that I wanted to make sure others who heard this sound weren't just hearing the normal play in the cylinder. I noticed that sound too... and it is much different from the sound I'm referring to.

If you hold the cylinder in place and shake yours, do you still hear a high pitched metallic "ting" sound for lack of a better term, that occurs as if something inside is swinging back and forth... that you then cannot hear at full pull of the trigger?

If you can say yes then I'll let this die like it should... I swear it!

As an aside, does anyone happen to know what causes this sound, if in fact it is normal?

GilaMonster

Bearcat
yes, my LCR 'ticks' if I shake it. As has been said before, it is the transfer bar. My Security Six does exactly the same thing.

When the trigger is pulled and held, the transfer bar has come up, and done its job -- the hammer is sitting against the transfer bar, so it does not wiggle when you shake the gun.

probably any gun with a transfer bar will make the same sound.

Todd-LCR

Bearcat
Thanks again Gila, this is my 1st revolver so I'm used to complete silence. Sorry for being neurotic...annoying I know.

And thanks for explaining what the transfer bar is and does.

GilaMonster":2slw4lsg said:
yes, my LCR 'ticks' if I shake it. As has been said before, it is the transfer bar. My Security Six does exactly the same thing.

When the trigger is pulled and held, the transfer bar has come up, and done its job -- the hammer is sitting against the transfer bar, so it does not wiggle when you shake the gun.

probably any gun with a transfer bar will make the same sound.

kscott

Single-Sixer
I'll just throw in another to make you feel a touch more warm and fuzzy about it. Yes, it is the transfer bar, and it will not cause you a problem. So got out and shoot and have a good time!

Latest posts