I can't believe I dropped my brand new LCR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lanber

Bearcat
Just be glad that it hit your foot first, to break the fall down to that treacherous carpet. :D

jamstutz

Bearcat
The rattle is normal--it's the transfer bar safety--but I'm not sure why it is so disturbing to so many folks. I've never heard it rattle in my pocket or in the holster and if I ever have to use my LCR in a self defense situation I sure as heck won't be shaking the gun at them.

lanber

Bearcat
...well, you know how it is when you first get something new that you're proud of?...

Todd-LCR

Bearcat
This isn't being defensive because I don't honestly feel that way, but in my defense lol...

1) First revolver

2) First Ruger (besides my trusty 1022)

3) Bought it at a gun show which was in a huge auditorium with a high level of noise

4) Heard the "ting" for the first time right after dropping it UNloaded

I feel I've earned just a bit of noob slack HAHA!

Thanks again all, great forum! Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to share some groupings or something!

lanber":13j0btfe said:
...well, you know how it is when you first get something new that you're proud of?...

Todd-LCR

Bearcat
Wow that is crazy...this article did not come up in my personal research prior to this purchase but it uncannily summarizes what my research did find...great beginner gun, easy to conceal (my #1 priority) and well made. Ill have to see about the 4 o'clock shooting position this weekend on the range.

I wish I had come across this one, I could have saved everyone's time on this thread lol.

Thanks for posting this

LTB45":1b0fr6ml said:
The other day I read a review of the LCR and the author mentioned the rattle

You can read it here.

http://ctsas.info/blog2/category/reviews/

I wouldn't worry about it, have fun and shoot it.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
revhigh":3cqbf6z7 said:
Nothing wrong with that gun ... shoot the bejesus out of it.

REV

Came to say the same thing...that drop didn't hurt that gun at all. You are hearing the transfer bar and ejector rod rattle. 100% normal

nn

Single-Sixer
marlboro man":1zhl5qu9 said:
not to fear, my wife's LCR rattles like a baby's toy. was that way when we got it and i too didnt notice it until we got it home, but it functions fine so far.
I just went and tried one and it does rattle a lot, load it and it may rattle more.

nn

Single-Sixer
Todd-LCR":1cjksufd said:
To those of you who own this gun, could you please try this?

Immobilize the cylinder with the hand you're holding it with, and give it a side to side wiggle.

The reason I ask is that I wanted to make sure others who heard this sound weren't just hearing the normal play in the cylinder. I noticed that sound too... and it is much different from the sound I'm referring to.

If you hold the cylinder in place and shake yours, do you still hear a high pitched metallic "ting" sound for lack of a better term, that occurs as if something inside is swinging back and forth... that you then cannot hear at full pull of the trigger?

If you can say yes then I'll let this die like it should... I swear it!

As an aside, does anyone happen to know what causes this sound, if in fact it is normal?

yep, same rattle

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
The rattle is normal. I love the rattle. I call it the Ruger Rattle. Embrace the rattle. I wish all of my other guns rattled like my Ruger LCR. I also wish they all shot as well as my Ruger LCR.

alan0269

Bearcat
Unfortunately, it's normal. Here is the FAQ from Ruger's website:

Sometimes when I shake my Ruger LCR revolver, I hear a slight rattle; is that normal?
Like all newly manufactured Ruger revolvers, your LCR has a transfer bar safety system as part of the fire control mechanism. As a result, a hammer blow can be transmitted to the firing pin only when the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear. This is a positive internal safety feature. By design, the transfer bar is allowed some movement within the fire control mechanism so that trigger pull is not affected. Due to this necessary "play" in the transfer bar, a shooter will sometimes hear the transfer bar "rattle" when the revolver is shaken. This rattle caused by the play in the transfer bar is completely normal in the LCR.