I am done with my local church

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
The Scofield Bible is annotated. In addition to having letters by words or verses to help run references in some places there will be a small number. At the bottom of the page you will see the number & there will be a note that gives more information. It also has introductions to the different books that give information about them.

The Thompson Chain Reference Bible I have is good if you are researching a particular topic It will lead you to all related verses quickly.

The Dake's Bible is another annotated bible with a reference system, etc.

I wouldn't say any of these are bad. They each have their niche in my opinion. I am quite sure there are others but these are the ones I'm familiar with. I also have a Strong's concordance. I haven't looked anything up in it in a long time. The grammar is different in the original Greek or Hebrew than it is in English. Sometimes looking things up is enlightening. Sometimes I might not gain any more insight.

These days I usually just read. I don't dig as much as I once did.
Thanks My NASB is a "teaching" addition and is "annotated" etc. It has all sorts of guides and references for helping to understand a passage better, etc It takes a good deal of work to learn how to use all of the 'annotations" etc (IMHO)

Attachments

• Bible.jpg
    Bible.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • Bible 2.jpg
    Bible 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Your just going to the wrong Church. Liberal Churches have long ago abandoned the word of God, and preach social justice, environmental, and PC bullcrap. Leave that place, and shake the dust off your sandals.
You are leaving an Apostate church.

But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. There are several denominations/Church bodies that are true to the word of God. PM me for a few.

Ones to avoid: Methodist, Anglican, Episcopal, Pentecostal ( all variations), Lutheran, American Baptist ( Black Churches), Jehovahs Witness ( cult ), Morman (LDS) ( cult ), Catholic, Eastern Orthodox

This list is not all inclusive, but should steer you clear of most problem churches.
I do not think it is necessarily the "church" but the individual pastor, priest or leader!

Blackhawk Convertable

Single-Sixer
40nascar maybe you should list which specific issues you have with the ones you listed. You listed "Pentecostal (all variations)" which covers a very wide spectrum. There are some Pentecostal churches that believe in living a holy sanctified life. Some believe that you must be born of water and the Spirit. You never specified what YOU have a problem with specifically. We are urged to "earnestly contend for the faith once delivered to the saints." My Pentecostal assembly mirrors more closely what the 1st century church was than any others I've run across. So, I am curious as to why you specifically lump ALL Pentecostals together.

pyth0n

Blackhawk
You and me both! Yet , it scanning through this selection(Acts 37) I see little "real" difference? What is you take on it?
You mentioned in your post (164) the differences in the teacher, i.e. pastor ,priest, reverend, etc, & I agree. IMO it seems the biggest reason for so many denominations is the politics of the pulpit, not totally on the interpretation of the bible (which so far I find little difference). I recently had a conversation with a family member, who is Baptist, tell me Catholics are not Christian. My 8 year old Grandson started to tell me if all the problems with Catholics. He was surprised when I told him Jesus was a JEW. (all my grand kids went /go to a Baptist school) WOW! WTF! I wasn't raised to any level of condemning someone's religion. The Catholic church says they're not infallible. (I was raised Catholic but I'm not a practicing Catholic.).
Sorry for the length and in keeping with the question, IMO it's the people not the bible.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
You mentioned in your post (164) the differences in the teacher, i.e. pastor ,priest, reverend, etc, & I agree. IMO it seems the biggest reason for so many denominations is the politics of the pulpit, not totally on the interpretation of the bible (which so far I find little difference). I recently had a conversation with a family member, who is Baptist, tell me Catholics are not Christian. My 8 year old Grandson started to tell me if all the problems with Catholics. He was surprised when I told him Jesus was a JEW. (all my grand kids went /go to a Baptist school) WOW! WTF! I wasn't raised to any level of condemning someone's religion. The Catholic church says they're not infallible. (I was raised Catholic but I'm not a practicing Catholic.).
Sorry for the length and in keeping with the question, IMO it's the people not the bible.
Couldn't agree more! I was raised a Presbyterian. When I was 14 /brother 18, my father said ,I've done my duty, you can do what you think is best now(regarding church). My father/mother never went unless it was a major holiday. My mother was raised Swedish Lutheran and her Brother was raised R Catholic, apparently that was the deal when my grandmother(Benson) married my Grandfather(Quinn) Go figure! I went to various different churches with my different friends, Catholic, Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist, even a Russian Orthodox church. I was going to a Catholic church with my buddy when it was still in Latin! He said, just do what i do, you'll be fine, so I did. Took communion etc, the earth did not shake, the lights did not dim. My father asked me one day what I thought? I told him it was all very different in many ways and in some way's not so different. He just smiled. This was basically how i went to church for the next 20 yrs. it depended on who the girl friend was or friend I was going with. I really did not care. Frankly I found the Episcopal Church to be the easiest. Similar to the R Catholic Church in set up and liturgy, just No Pope. At least that is how it appeared to me. Went into the service, rarely went, came out and worked for Govt DOD/DIA, rarely went, and it has been that way for most of my life. I was usually only at a church for weddings and funerals. I found if the preacher, priest, pastor or Leader was good, the church was good. If they were bad, then nothing else mattered, I was gone. There was more than one time when one of them started on about some "social evil" etc., and what I/We needed to do about it, I would just get up and leave. I found no reason to stay and be lectured too when it had notihng to do about Jesus, God or faith in general.

Reactions: g5m

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Snake what does your NASB say at Acts 8:37. Most do not have that verse. If yours does it’s probably a footnote or in parenthesis. If it’s in there and you read it I think you’re going to agree it’s a pretty important verse. I am not home now but that one just came to mind
Snake, I got to eat a little crow here. It was about 15 years ago when my family were studying the different versions of the Bible. I was confusing the NIV and NASB. I was raised on the KJV. It was recommended to me try the NIV. While I can’t find our study notes I did do a quick internet search and verse 37 in Acts- is indeed omitted. I also rounded up an NIV study Bible and referenced it. After v36 the number 37 is in parenthesis and then goes into v38. There are other places where “I” believe there are important wording changes that are crucial to understanding salvation. One of those things being “The Blood of Christ”

I offer my humble apologies for the confusion. You can do a internet search on the differences and get a lot of study material. This is something to research yourself and let the Spirit lead.

I will add that there has been souls saved with alot of different versions of the Bible besides the KJV

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Snake, I got to eat a little crow here. It was about 15 years ago when my family were studying the different versions of the Bible. I was confusing the NIV and NASB. I was raised on the KJV. It was recommended to me try the NIV. While I can’t find our study notes I did do a quick internet search and verse 37 in Acts- is indeed omitted. I also rounded up an NIV study Bible and referenced it. After v36 the number 37 is in parenthesis and then goes into v38. There are other places where “I” believe there are important wording changes that are crucial to understanding salvation. One of those things being “The Blood of Christ”

I offer my humble apologies for the confusion. You can do a internet search on the differences and get a lot of study material. This is something to research yourself and let the Spirit lead.

I will add that there has been souls saved with alot of different versions of the Bible besides the KJV
No problem I have the NSAB, KJV and American Std. They all had versu 37 almost word for word, very little difference between them.

RSIno1

Hunter
I've always "used" the KJB. I've bought other versions just to compare. I've always wanted to learn enough Hebrew to compare a Torah to the first 5 books of the KJB OT. It's said that all the Torahs are an accurate copy of the very first one letter for letter. If a mistake is made when making a new one the scroll is discarded not corrected and they start over. Now that they have released some of the Dead Sea scrolls and are having more luck using computers to assemble the fragments I get more curious as to what has changed or been embellished over the centuries.

RSIno1

Hunter
My first real girl friend in high school was a PK (preacher's kid). Her dad had a degree in theology but became a electronics engineer to pay the bills. Realizing most teens in SoCal slept in on Sunday mornings her dad started preaching on Friday/Saturday nights in a parking lot next to the burger place where kids hung out. Not being a full time "professional" minister seemed to strike a note with the kids. They listened to him because as one kid said it wasn't his job to sell Jesus he was doing it out of love and what Jesus had done for him. He'd buy the little pocket New Testaments (the Modern English version) by the case and pass them out to anyone who wanted one. He always had groups of 50-100 listening to him. The burger joint was happy because the fights in the parking lot dropped to zero. Some of the kids even started attending church which made his pastor happy too.

aaronrb204

Bearcat
Quite frankly I do not have the time to read all of the replies here. But I will add my bit.

The US government illegally detained thousands of citizens of Japanese descent. I know it was illegal because SCOTUS said so. Did you notice that in Hawaii they weren't detained en masse? Oh yeah that had a lot to do with the fact that the entire territory would have shut down due to lack of workers. And there were actual documented spies there. Why weren't citizens of German or Italian or Romanian descent detained? Because it was hard to tell who was who. By that point so many had been in this country for so long that the names didn't carry any real ancestry.

Yes there is constantly evidence of people of color being discriminated against and mistreated. These actions aren't new. The fact that they are witnessed and documented and made public is. What is the problem with that? Saying that it is happening is not an indictment of you as LEO but of an overall issue in our society.

None of the synagogues I have spent time in have ever had any issues with LGBT... issues. The leadership of all of them have embraced all who enter the doors. Why should they not? Do you all know who Penn Gillette is? The magician. Yeah him. His mother was a devout Christian of whatever kind. Her church had an openly gay member and many older people did not want him around. The bible says the bible says. This old woman said Phooey on your bible. Let people in. Embrace them.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Quite frankly I do not have the time to read all of the replies here. But I will add my bit.

The US government illegally detained thousands of citizens of Japanese descent. I know it was illegal because SCOTUS said so. Did you notice that in Hawaii they weren't detained en masse? Oh yeah that had a lot to do with the fact that the entire territory would have shut down due to lack of workers. And there were actual documented spies there. Why weren't citizens of German or Italian or Romanian descent detained? Because it was hard to tell who was who. By that point so many had been in this country for so long that the names didn't carry any real ancestry.

Yes there is constantly evidence of people of color being discriminated against and mistreated. These actions aren't new. The fact that they are witnessed and documented and made public is. What is the problem with that? Saying that it is happening is not an indictment of you as LEO but of an overall issue in our society.

None of the synagogues I have spent time in have ever had any issues with LGBT... issues. The leadership of all of them have embraced all who enter the doors. Why should they not? Do you all know who Penn Gillette is? The magician. Yeah him. His mother was a devout Christian of whatever kind. Her church had an openly gay member and many older people did not want him around. The bible says the bible says. This old woman said Phooey on your bible. Let people in. Embrace them.
did you have a point?

RSIno1

Hunter
You need to do some homework on this. Hawaii didn't have a problem because it had been placed under martial law.
.gov declared exclusion zones and limit who could be in those zones. They declared a 50 mile exclusion zone along the coast. The Japanese were required to move 50 miles inland or be placed in camps. Tokyo Rose's parents ran a grocery in Chicago all during the war.
This article points out facts that led to the internment - IN A TIME OF WAR not the Carter era revisionist history.

BTW: Here is what SCOTUS had to say:
What did the Supreme Court rule about Japanese internment?
Korematsu asked the Supreme Court of the United States to hear his case. On December 18, 1944, a divided Supreme Court ruled, in a 6-3 decision, that the detention was a "military necessity" not based on race.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
You need to do some homework on this. Hawaii didn't have a problem because it had been placed under martial law.
.gov declared exclusion zones and limit who could be in those zones. They declared a 50 mile exclusion zone along the coast. The Japanese were required to move 50 miles inland or be placed in camps. Tokyo Rose's parents ran a grocery in Chicago all during the war.
This article points out facts that led to the internment - IN A TIME OF WAR not the Carter era revisionist history.

Korematsu asked the Supreme Court of the United States to hear his case. On December 18, 1944, a divided Supreme Court ruled, in a 6-3 decision, that the detention was a "military necessity" not based on race.
I have no sympathy for a race that thought the Emperor was Divine & Pearl Harbor was justified.:mad:

pyth0n

Blackhawk
When ever I go about researching a topic I find it's like going into a room to get my glasses, finding some distraction from that, then another, then another & then feeling tired but also feeling I didn't get anything done & still need to find my glasses to type this. Good listen. You be the judge.
Any way, I found this;

aaronrb204

Bearcat

Oh ye of little search capability.

Chief Justice Roberts, in writing the majority opinion of the Supreme Court in Trump v. Hawaii, stated that Korematsu v. United States was wrongly decided, essentially disavowing the decision and indicating that a majority of the court no longer finds Korematsu persuasive.[38]: 38 ​[better source needed]​ Quoting Justice Robert H. Jackson's dissent from Korematsu, the Chief Justice stated:

The dissent's reference to Korematsu, however, affords this Court the opportunity to make express what is already obvious: Korematsu was gravely wrong the day it was decided, has been overruled in the court of history, and—to be clear—'has no place in law under the Constitution.'
— Trump v. Hawaii, slip op. at 38 (quoting 323 U.S., at 248 (Jackson, J., dissenting))[38]: 38 ​
Roberts also added: "The forcible relocation of U.S. citizens to concentration camps, solely and explicitly on the basis of race, is objectively unlawful and outside the scope of Presidential authority."[38]: 38 ​[39][20] Congress regards Korematsu as having been overruled by Trump v. Hawaii.[40]

Justice Gorsuch, writing in his dissent of United States v. Zubaydah, reiterated the fact that Korematsu was negligent.[41] Gorsuch criticised the court for allowing "state interest" as a justification for "suppressing judicial proceedings in the name of national security." He used Korematsu as a justification against doing such.

Justice Gorsuch dissented stating:

In Korematsu v. United States, the President persuaded this Court to permit the forced internment of Japanese American citizens during World War II. The President did so in part by relying on a military report that insisted immediate action was imperative to national security. The report, however, contained information executive officials knew to be false at the time....And still more years passed before this Court formally repudiated its decision. (Internal citations omitted)
— Justice Neil Gorsuch, United States v. Zubaydah 595 U. S. ___ (Gorsuch, J., dissenting)[

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
Ok, you mentioned all the Sunday morning Christians as an excuse not to attend Mass. I would point out it's an object lesson that even the worst of people use their company manners when they visit someone else's house. Mass also teaches the kinder there is something higher than themselves. When you teach them to respect the authority of God, country quickly follows. Mass also teaches a code of conduct that give the kinder and internal benchmark of right and wrong. Considering the news reports involving the acts of children and young adults I would have to say that seems to be sorely missing in a lot of lives.

Last but not least, Mass grants you a common ground with your neighbor. When you gather together for a common purpose a bond is created that transcends occupation, race and in some cases even different language.

If nothing else there is the parental torture aspect of getting the kids out of bed at 5 am on Sunday to go to early Mass for those that want to be accused of being mean parents.

Last edited:
Tens of thousands of years before Jesus and the Bible there was civilizations. I find it hard to believe that an 'all loving God' would condemn them for not following specific teachings. It seems that throughout history all groups have believed in some type of higher power.

RSIno1

Hunter
Oh ye of little search capability.
So SCOTUS today disagrees with a decision made during a time of war 80 years ago. How much of their thinking has been due to the "history" of the times and events being rewritten in the ensuing period. The original finding that is was not due to race is true. I'm certain that if we were at war with Canada or Mexico in that time period there would also be forced relocations of possible enemies. They could have found that banning any citizen from a 50 mile exclusion zone was illegal not that the method of enforcement was illegal but they didn't. Everyone who was interred made that decision for themselves and/or family rather than just moving inland - which is all the exclusion zone rule required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts