I am done with my local church

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
We have had our own issues with church. A few years ago we had been attending one local body & were pretty content there. It was a small non-denominational church but their heart was in the right place. Many people that attend there run various ministries. One fellow is a missionary to Haiti. Another runs a chapel in a truck stop, and on and on. It came time for my youngest daughter to move up to the youth class & they raised the age for people to enter youth. My wife was angered. The reason they raised the age was there was a group of boys my daughters age & they were wild. The Youth teacher did not want to deal with them. My wife felt my daughter was being punished for the actions of others & was not getting what she needed so we left.

We moved to another church. I don't have any issue with that church's teaching or doctrine. The issue I had is they try to do a concert type experience during worship service. I could not handle the volume. So we went back to another church that we had attended before. We had left before because we had a child that was stillborn. The women there decided to take care of my wife. That was fine but there came a point where they were smothering her so we left. When we went back they had a new preacher. I don't think he had walking around sense. Whether he did or didn't if that is my opinion I shouldn't be in his church. Then we went to another denominational church some friends attend. The preacher there standing in a sanctuary where he could have spoken without a microphone & been heard felt the need to scream into the microphone a lot. So then we visited another area church. Whoever they had running the sound board had the reverb turned up so high I couldn't understand what was being said.

So long story short. A friend of my wifes from the church we had left at the beginning of this post asked her to help out with Vacation Bible School. We went back over there one Sunday. There is a young couple running Youth now. Things are much better there now. So now we are right back where we started.

Edited to add; While I have never cared much for being yelled at after 32 years as a Sheet Metal Worker I seem to have tinnitus. My ears ring a lot. As insane as it might seem there are some frequencies that when I hear them really loudly are actually painful. If I have to wear earplugs to sit through a church service that is probably not the church for me.
It appears to me the problems you ran into all revolved around your hearing problems. Perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order. There are things they can do to help! Might be a better idea than changing churches all the time? Just a thought? Hope it works out for you.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
New American Standard Bible, leaves out a lot of of scripture. For anyone to get a new copyright they have to change a certain amount of wording.
thanks.
New American Standard Bible, leaves out a lot of of scripture. For anyone to get a new copyright they have to change a certain amount of wording.
Interesting. I have NASB Teaching addition and I compared it to a KJV I have, and frankly found the NASB easier to read and understand, with no real discernible or meaningful difference in the actual meaning of the scripture tht i could detect (IMHO.) What scripture are you aware of that is left out in the NASB? I would like to see that myself? Thank you for your help. I am always trying to learn.

JackBull

Bearcat
I quoted word for word. I saw no reference in the text for petra. What is your source for this?
You need to understand the Greek words for rock/pebble that are used in your quote. I suggest a Scofield Bible for better understanding.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
The question I always had, in reference to rendering unto Ceasar, what is Ceasar's..... who actually determined, "what IS Ceasars??"
Was it whatever Ceasar said it was??...
Every time I see or hear that verse, I think of our own Gov't... and I can see the above question every time...
As far as organized religions go.... I was never a "churchy", christian... I've belonged to some kick butt bible studies in my time, but most of the churches my ex wanted me to go to, the preacher always preached "his", latest book.... not the bible...

lolbell

Single-Sixer
thanks.

Interesting. I have NASB Teaching addition and I compared it to a KJV I have, and frankly found the NASB easier to read and understand, with no real discernible or meaningful difference in the actual meaning of the scripture tht i could detect (IMHO.) What scripture are you aware of that is left out in the NASB? I would like to see that myself? Thank you for your help. I am always trying to learn.
Snake, I will get back with you on that I need to reference my notes so I don’t put out any bad information. May take me a day or so, but I will get back with you

lolbell

Single-Sixer
thanks.

Snake what does your NASB say at Acts 8:37. Most do not have that verse. If yours does it’s probably a footnote or in parenthesis. If it’s in there and you read it I think you’re going to agree it’s a pretty important verse. I am not home now but that one just came to mind

Huskerguy72

Bearcat
Lots of information, not all of it is accurate in this thread. But I would guess that to be the case when theological issues are discussed.

First of all, you must distinguish between religion and Christianity. They are totally different. Religion can be most any belief system, Hindu, Muslim, Satanism, humanism, relativism, and more. It is just a system, how one or the group believes and each can be different. Christianity is different in that God sent his Son, who was deity, to live and die directly for those who believe in Him. No other "religion" can say that. Christianity is a relationship with the God of Bible through faith in Jesus Christ. Simply, if you just went to church, you were practicing a form of religion, likely you saw it as Christianity. If the relationship is not present between the person and God through the finished work of Christ on the Cross, it is not Christianity, it is keeping a bunch of rule and going by some set standard.

There is a term used of the Bible called "verbal plenary inspiration of scriptures." This literally means the original scriptures are accurate and "God Breathed" in 2 Timothy 3:16. That means man wrote what God intended for them to write in their own style but with God's meaning. If you actually take the time to carefully study the Bible you will find it fits incredibly well from Genesis to Revelation and then consider it was written over a period of 1,500 years by 40 different men. No other work could have been written in such a manner and have the cohesiveness it does. These people did not know each other who went before them nor after them but yet their writings coincide with those of others. Yes, OT is written in Hebrew, a Semitic language of its time in the middle east, the NT is written in Koina Greek and some Aramaic, both languages of their time. We have a remarkable number of the early manuscripts and they are incredibly accurate. Too many people think people assigned their own meanings and just made things up which is not the case. I have a pastor friend who is a Hebrew and Greek scholar and reads the texts in the original languages. Are there errors in translations? Certainly. It is difficult to find words in English that correspond to Koina Greek. For instance, we use the word love foe everything - we love our dog, we love our car and we love our wife but the Greeks had more words for each difference. I have a VERY slim understanding of the Greek language from some pastors and my personal study. It is a very precise language. Bibles were translated using a wide array of learned people who originally did not have a dog in the fight so to speak. Most of those translations have proven to very accurate. There are times when things are not and generally that is based on the difference in English and Greek. Then there are those who have defiled the original texts by calling God a she and other such nonsense. This is a man made problem, not a God inspired one. A key point is the difference between a translation which is a word for word process verses an interpretation which is based on man's desires. I use the NASV which attempts to not only use a corresponding English word but to also keep the original word order which can be a bit more difficult for us today. An interpretation would be The Living Bible where the authors take license to interpret that the words say. I would never use this bible as the author has messed up the text as God intended.

The church is called the Bride of Christ. Christ died for the Church and gave His life for it. We are instructed to be part of the local body and serve others through it. We are also called to keep the body, the local church, as pure as possible knowing we are all sinners but one who continues in sin when confronted with it should be removed from the body. There is learning, growth and protection in the body. True Christians were not designed to operate outside of the local body, that is simply Biblical. Yes, the church is NOT a building but a body of believers. Where they meet is irrelevant. Believers in Christ are not to reside outside of the local body of other believers. We find a way to reconcile that in our minds but it does not square with the word of God.

As for the Peter situation, there are various interpretations. Some would say it was a play on words when Jesus told Peter he was going to build His church on the rock. Peter means rock so Jesus could have been saying, your name means rock but on THIS rock, meaning himself, his church would be built. Other scripture is clear that Jesus is the chief cornerstone the builders rejected and the author, defender and originator of the church that is to be built on him and him alone. The other thought is that Peter did have a part to play along with all the disciples. The original 12 were charged with spreading the gospel and all but one lost his life doing so which makes you wonder why they would go through so much mistreatment and deal if they knew they were spreading a lie. Many places in the Bible tell us about the faith being built on the original disciples and their preaching of the word. So it could apply in that context. So clearly, Jesus is THE cornerstone and the disciples were ordained by God to spread the Gospel and were equipped to do so but were not the originators of the gospel.

Blessings

side by side

Single-Sixer
I’m also another one calling it quits for church. Our church includes in the sermons, clean energy, they love their guns more than their children, you need to vote for the people that will make climate change happen. We need to band AR15’s “weapons of war.I go to church to learn and hear about religion. Not to hear the everyday problems in the world.The church is dividing people. Church praises adoration, but when the 13 died in Afghanistan, not a word was mentioned, times may be changing, I’m just not ready for it. I’ll spend Sunday mornings one on one with god.

pyth0n

Blackhawk
thanks.

I did the same thing with same result. Still learning.

Mike J

Hunter
It appears to me the problems you ran into all revolved around your hearing problems. Perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order. There are things they can do to help! Might be a better idea than changing churches all the time? Just a thought? Hope it works out for you.

All of it isn't the hearing issues. A lot of it is I don't much care to be screamed at. It isn't really helpful for communication. When someone starts yelling at me I have to really work to keep my mind & ears open. It really annoys me. Some charismatic churches have started following a "formula" for growth. Having a coffee shop in the lobby & a concert experience are part of the formula. Maybe I'm old fashioned, if I wanted to go to a concert I would. I'd rather just have praise & worship & a sermon that teaches and/or exhorts.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Snake what does your NASB say at Acts 8:37. Most do not have that verse. If yours does it’s probably a footnote or in parenthesis. If it’s in there and you read it I think you’re going to agree it’s a pretty important verse. I am not home now but that one just came to mind
Thank you for your help. I checked my KJV and my NASB and they are identical almost word for word!

Attachments

• Bible.jpg
    Bible.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • Bible 2.jpg
    Bible 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • King james Ver Bible 2.jpg
    King james Ver Bible 2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 15
  • King James ver Bible.jpg
    King James ver Bible.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 16

Huskerguy72

Bearcat
This is news to me. Please elaborate on which scripture is left out? The Roman Catholic church has additional books that were not generally accepted as Canonized Scripture. I am very interested to get this list from you as the NASB is well renowned for its accuracy both in word usage and word order. I will wait.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
This is news to me. Please elaborate on which scripture is left out? The Roman Catholic church has additional books that were not generally accepted as Canonized Scripture. I am very interested to get this list from you as the NASB is well renowned for its accuracy both in word usage and word order. I will wait.
check post 153,152. I checked the passage of scripture as suggested and could find no difference. I find the NSAB a much easier read (IMHO)

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
identical wording almost

Attachments

• Bible.jpg
    Bible.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • King james Ver Bible 2.jpg
    King james Ver Bible 2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12
  • King James ver Bible.jpg
    King James ver Bible.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 15

40nascar

Single-Sixer
Your quite ignorant on this matter. NASB uses up to date language, as spoken by Americans. It is more accurate than KJV, because some of the words in KJV are not in common use, phrases that are not in common use, measurements and denominations that not in common use, ect, ect.

The NASB is the most accurate word for word translation of the Bible, in modern English.

The NIV, while not as good on a word by word basis, is very accurate in conveying the thoughts of the Author on a paragraph, by paragraph basis.

I find the NKJV, about the best to use as a study Bible. You can still reference Strong's concordance for word studies with it.

Mike J

Hunter
What is different about the Scofield Bible. I have no knowledge of it. I am trying to learn the differences. Thanks
The Scofield Bible is annotated. In addition to having letters by words or verses to help run references in some places there will be a small number. At the bottom of the page you will see the number & there will be a note that gives more information. It also has introductions to the different books that give information about them.

The Thompson Chain Reference Bible I have is good if you are researching a particular topic It will lead you to all related verses quickly.

The Dake's Bible is another annotated bible with a reference system, etc.

I wouldn't say any of these are bad. They each have their niche in my opinion. I am quite sure there are others but these are the ones I'm familiar with. I also have a Strong's concordance. I haven't looked anything up in it in a long time. The grammar is different in the original Greek or Hebrew than it is in English. Sometimes looking things up is enlightening. Sometimes I might not gain any more insight.

These days I usually just read. I don't dig as much as I once did.

40nascar

Single-Sixer
I’m also another one calling it quits for church. Our church includes in the sermons, clean energy, they love their guns more than their children, you need to vote for the people that will make climate change happen. We need to band AR15’s “weapons of war.I go to church to learn and hear about religion. Not to hear the everyday problems in the world.The church is dividing people. Church praises adoration, but when the 13 died in Afghanistan, not a word was mentioned, times may be changing, I’m just not ready for it. I’ll spend Sunday mornings one on one with god.

Your just going to the wrong Church. Liberal Churches have long ago abandoned the word of God, and preach social justice, environmental, and PC bullcrap. Leave that place, and shake the dust off your sandals.
You are leaving an Apostate church.

But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. There are several denominations/Church bodies that are true to the word of God. PM me for a few.

Ones to avoid: Methodist, Anglican, Episcopal, Pentecostal ( all variations), Lutheran, American Baptist ( Black Churches), Jehovahs Witness ( cult ), Morman (LDS) ( cult ), Catholic, Eastern Orthodox

This list is not all inclusive, but should steer you clear of most problem churches.

Bennj1

Bearcat
Gee wilikers, nothing like painting with a broad brush is there. Care to share what denomination you frequent? Heard a preacher on the radio just the other day stating something I've heard many times before; if you're looking for the perfect church and find it, please don't join, you might ruin it. I believe if we are truly children of God, bought by the price of Jesus' blood, the Holy Spirit will keep us on the right path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts