I am done with my local church

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

vito

Hunter
I find it fascinating how people will argue/discuss the nuances of words and phrases in the Bible trying to descipher the "true" meaning. The Bible was written over time by who knows how many people, and probably originally in Arameic even before Hebrew. Then translated to Greek, then Latin, and ultimately to English for those in the English speaking part of the world. I wonder how many concepts and meanings changed over the centuries and the multiple translations, to the point of understanding that the English looked at today may be a far cry from what the original stated. I assume that those that take the meanings literally are assuming that not only was every word and detail directly inspired by God to the scribes who wrote in down originally, but that every accepted translation over the millenium was also directly inspired and controlled by God. I think it is worthwhile to try to understand the underlying intent of the words without focusing excessively on the literal meaning of every word. But that's just my thoughts on this.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
I find it fascinating how people will argue/discuss the nuances of words and phrases in the Bible trying to descipher the "true" meaning. The Bible was written over time by who knows how many people, and probably originally in Arameic even before Hebrew. Then translated to Greek, then Latin, and ultimately to English for those in the English speaking part of the world. I wonder how many concepts and meanings changed over the centuries and the multiple translations, to the point of understanding that the English looked at today may be a far cry from what the original stated. I assume that those that take the meanings literally are assuming that not only was every word and detail directly inspired by God to the scribes who wrote in down originally, but that every accepted translation over the millenium was also directly inspired and controlled by God. I think it is worthwhile to try to understand the underlying intent of the words without focusing excessively on the literal meaning of every word. But that's just my thoughts on this.
I agree, While the original word may have come from God or Jesus, down through every possible reiteration and translation by "man" there could be subtle differences, that cumulatively could be meaningful.(IMHO)

vito

Hunter
Add to this the proclivity of humans to possibly overthink some aspects of the Bible. The Jewish dietary prohibition on mixing meat and dairy products arose, I have been told, from the multiple mentions in the Old Testament that a baby goat should not be boiled in its mother's milk. The fact that it appears multiple times is taken as evidence that God did not want man to eat meat and dairy at the same meal. But maybe it was just how the old Bible was put together than certain passages got the ancient version of "cut and paste" that made it into the final edition.

pyth0n

Blackhawk
Correct, but Jesus used a different word, petra, meaning a very large rock, on which the church would be built.

"Petros" is diminutive and means a piece of rock or stone; "Petra" is the great foundation rock itself”
I quoted word for word. I saw no reference in the text for petra. What is your source for this?

pyth0n

Blackhawk
Some thing I've said many times. Through all the translations in different languages errors made in translation those errors passed along & compounded by the next writer. (Telephone chain game.) Which is exactly why people will argue/discuss the nuances of words & phrases trying to decipher the true meaning. And that's why there are so many denominations of Christian religion. And i suspect why people change churches so often because they don't agree with the message of that church. Words have meaning. How can you know the underlying intent of the words? By interpretation? Who's interpretation? More questions than answers.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Add to this the proclivity of humans to possibly overthink some aspects of the Bible. The Jewish dietary prohibition on mixing meat and dairy products arose, I have been told, from the multiple mentions in the Old Testament that a baby goat should not be boiled in its mother's milk. The fact that it appears multiple times is taken as evidence that God did not want man to eat meat and dairy at the same meal. But maybe it was just how the old Bible was put together than certain passages got the ancient version of "cut and paste" that made it into the final edition.
Or maybe it just did not sound vey nice to boil a baby goat in its own mothers milk? do ya think?

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Some thing I've said many times. Through all the translations in different languages errors made in translation those errors passed along & compounded by the next writer. (Telephone chain game.) Which is exactly why people will argue/discuss the nuances of words & phrases trying to decipher the true meaning. And that's why there are so many denominations of Christian religion. And i suspect why people change churches so often because they don't agree with the message of that church. Words have meaning. How can you know the underlying intent of the words? By interpretation? Who's interpretation? More questions than answers.
I agree, more question that there ever are answers

lolbell

Single-Sixer
I can relate to the OP’s feelings. Not necessarily in terms of politics but other things. My wife and I give up on organized church a while back. We are commanded to not forsake gathering with other believers. It doesn’t have to be in a several million dollar building listening to a theologian wearing better clothes, driving better vehicles and living in a better house than me. We still gather with like minded believers, just not on Sunday morning and nights or Wednesday nights. I don’t need a hundred thousand dollar a year man telling me what a scripture means, the Holy Spirit handles that just fine. My tithes and offerings don’t go to pay a 2 or 3 thousand dollar a month electric bill. We try to help PEOPLE with their needs. Not organizations.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
Guess what? That Pasteur puts his pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us.
Been near 30 years when I said bye to my parish and priest! Got enough of their lecturing! ps

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
what does that mean?
Prior to the crucifixion of the Lord Jesus and His subsequent resurrection, the souls of all the dead went to Hell, some to torment, some to Paradise, or Abraham's Bosom. During the time between His death and resurrection, Jesus emptied Paradise and took those souls to Heaven. Now, those who die in Christ, are immediately in the presence of God. It took the Blood of Jesus to open that path.

Bob Wright

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Prior to the crucifixion of the Lord Jesus and His subsequent resurrection, the souls of all the dead went to Hell, some to torment, some to Paradise, or Abraham's Bosom. During the time between His death and resurrection, Jesus emptied Paradise and took those souls to Heaven. Now, those who die in Christ, are immediately in the presence of God. It took the Blood of Jesus to open that path.

Bob Wright
thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

Wvfarrier

Single-Sixer
The KJV isnt even an accurate representation of the TRUE Bible. The closest we have to the Septuagent is the NASB.
I was a Song leader/ Choir director/ security guard in a small church in Alabama. The pastor is a great guy, almost as hard headed as I am. When he got off on something that I had questions about I'd meet him in his office after service. My late wife got really P.O'd by his wife and she decided to go to another church. The pastor of that church was really off the wall, and scripturally wrong on a LOT of subjects. It came to a head when he said something that "He believed a person could not be saved unless they believe the King James bible". I looked up
( in my KJV ) in Acts where the man asked "what must I do to be saved?"
It didn't say anything about the KJV being a prerequisite.
We ended up at a Southern Baptist church that couldn't keep a Pastor or Assistant Pastor for much more than a year. I'd never seen such discord in a church.
Well, I ended up after my wife passed away meeting and eventually marrying Lori, rented my home and moved my toys here to Phenix City. We now go to Cascade Hills church in Columbus, Ga. I can't go as often as I'd like due to the cancer surgery and having the "green apple quick step", but my Dr. has prescribed a pill that helps with that and cholesterol, as well as diabetes, which I don't have.

Mike J

Hunter
We have had our own issues with church. A few years ago we had been attending one local body & were pretty content there. It was a small non-denominational church but their heart was in the right place. Many people that attend there run various ministries. One fellow is a missionary to Haiti. Another runs a chapel in a truck stop, and on and on. It came time for my youngest daughter to move up to the youth class & they raised the age for people to enter youth. My wife was angered. The reason they raised the age was there was a group of boys my daughters age & they were wild. The Youth teacher did not want to deal with them. My wife felt my daughter was being punished for the actions of others & was not getting what she needed so we left.

We moved to another church. I don't have any issue with that church's teaching or doctrine. The issue I had is they try to do a concert type experience during worship service. I could not handle the volume. So we went back to another church that we had attended before. We had left before because we had a child that was stillborn. The women there decided to take care of my wife. That was fine but there came a point where they were smothering her so we left. When we went back they had a new preacher. I don't think he had walking around sense. Whether he did or didn't if that is my opinion I shouldn't be in his church. Then we went to another denominational church some friends attend. The preacher there standing in a sanctuary where he could have spoken without a microphone & been heard felt the need to scream into the microphone a lot. So then we visited another area church. Whoever they had running the sound board had the reverb turned up so high I couldn't understand what was being said.

So long story short. A friend of my wifes from the church we had left at the beginning of this post asked her to help out with Vacation Bible School. We went back over there one Sunday. There is a young couple running Youth now. Things are much better there now. So now we are right back where we started.

Edited to add; While I have never cared much for being yelled at after 32 years as a Sheet Metal Worker I seem to have tinnitus. My ears ring a lot. As insane as it might seem there are some frequencies that when I hear them really loudly are actually painful. If I have to wear earplugs to sit through a church service that is probably not the church for me.

Last edited:

Jon406

Bearcat
First before doing anything, pray about it and ask God to show you through his Word where to guide you. The anger you feel is within yourself, so deal with it in a biblical manor and you will probably find the answers you're looking for.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
The KJV isnt even an accurate representation of the TRUE Bible. The closest we have to the Septuagent is the NASB.
Not going to argue over this but I almost choked on my coffee when I read this. No modern version is totally accurate, however I believe KJV translation is closer to God’s true word than any other. Anything translated off of the Textus Receptus, The Received Text, is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts