I am done with my local church

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

It's my understanding IRS loves that kind of sermon. Something about a lot of tax exempt money floating about gets their attention. Sounds like this pastor may be skirting close to the edge.

There's plenty to talk about Sunday mornings without adding politics.

wolfsong

Staff member
I don't know if our pastor "likes" guns or not, but he believes strongly in man following the laws of the society we live in and therefore wholeheartedly supports the Second Amendment. And he is appreciative and thoroughly enjoys the venison, doves and fish I harvest and share with him and his family.

I don't know his particular personal leanings regarding politics, but he does remind our congregation weekly to pray for our elected leaders, whoever they might be.

I DO know that he, like many of the males belonging to our Fellowship, can't carry a tune or sing worth a darn, but he sings a loud and glorious sound to the Lord while leading us men (and women) in song every Sunday.

There is much that I don't know about our pastor, but, through his leadership, I know our Lord much closer.

dannyd

Single-Sixer
Hi,

It's my understanding IRS loves that kind of sermon. Something about a lot of tax exempt money floating about gets their attention. Sounds like this pastor may be skirting close to the edge.

There's plenty to talk about Sunday mornings without adding politics.
The IRS has that Power because of the The Johnson Amendment a provision in the U.S. tax code, since 1954.

LBJ didn't like the people talking about all the affairs he was having while married to Lady Bird or in office.

Y'all realize this post is from 2018?

In regards to the original discussion... I realized a year or so ago that I don't know one person that agrees totally with my views on...
politics, religion or sex.

Even though I know I'm right, I still have to accept and get along with most folks. The alternative is just too scary.........

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I was once asked by my priest why he hadn't seen me in church regularly.
I replied by asking him which was better... Me sitting in a pew and contemplating my relationship with a large mouth bass OR me sitting in a boat contemplating my relationship with my God..

You know its not an "either/or" situation. The third choice would be "sitting in a pew in accordance with God's Word."

Bob Wright

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Look for a Church of Christ in your area. They have no national leader and are run by the local members not some bureaucracy. They are strictly based on the Bible as written and are not based on some Protestant or Catholic denomination interpretation of the Bible written by man.
The Bible as written can be interpreted in many ways. Any thing run by people always has a leader whether formal or not. There are always cliques etc. it is human nature. Even in Church Of Christ(IMHO)

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
It's not just Christians either, my next door neighbor is Jewish. She's changing synagogues because her current one is starting to condone same sex marriage. She said most of the older members are in an uproar about it.

To me I feel too many churches are run as a business and haven't been to one except for a funeral or marriage in years. Getting political even turns me off more.
LOL, it has always been about the money since before the time of Christ! I remember when I got married (2nd time) the young priest (episcopal) pulled up in a new 560 Benz! I said to him, Father, business must be good. He looked at me and said, nothing in his vows said he had to be poor! That about summed it all up for me!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Does anyone remember a tent preacher years ago called Reverend Ike? I liked him because I thought he was the only honest tent preacher I remember hearing. He collected money by the trainload at all of his meetings, based on a simple philosophy: "Lack of money is the root of all evil, so the mo' money you gives me, the less evil I'se gonna be!" If that be true, Rev Ike must have been close to saintly.

Rick C

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
Politics should not be mentioned from the pulpit. Only the Word of God is to be preached and taught from it. Ministers have a hard time keeping their opinions to themselves and try to influence people for one reason or another. Some may want to gain popularity, some may want to gain money, and very few will try to gain souls for Jesus Christ. Don't follow any church. Follow Jesus by following His Word.

vito

Hunter
A lifetime ago I was a young college student working part time in the evenings as a clerk in a large hospital. When a patient was dying we would contact clergy of whatever religion the patient adhered to, and had contracts with local churches to provide this service. One evening I was talking with the Catholic priest who we would call when a patient needed the Last Rites (I don't think the church requires that anymore, but this was back in the early 1960's). He told me that the order that he belonged to required him to take vows of poverty. I told him I noticed the really cool car he was driving when he would come to the hospital, a new black Olsmobile 98 convertible, and asked how that fitted his vows of poverty. He said that the car, and even his customed tailored clothes were not his property, but the property of his parish and that he indeed was totally impoverished. I asked him if other folks got to use that car or wear his suits and he laughed and said "I'd break the arm of anyone who would try to do so". This was one of my first insights into the hypocrisy of organized religion.

Johnny-Baseball

Bearcat
I had an epiphany in Thailand one night in 1972 (USAF) while lying in my bunk and staring at the ceiling. What if the old and new testaments had been written to incorporate all of the scientific knowledge that we have today: knowledge that the earth is not flat, it is not the center of our solar system, our solar system is but one of millions (billions?) of such solar systems that comprise the universe; carbon fiber dating of human and pre-human fossils of all kinds; the existence of atoms and sub-atomic particles; the biological construction of, and functioning of all living things; chemistry; physics, etc. My conclusions: (1) although the bible's events and their descriptions would be dramatically different, the basic behavior of humans remains unchanged; (2) the people for whom the bible was originally written would not have been able to comprehend the earth's creation, the evolution of plants, animals, humans, etc. because they lacked the necessary knowledge; (3) the bible taught a system of morality - instructions on how humans should behave and deal with each other. So I stopped attacking the bible for its factually incorrect recitation of historical events and, instead, focused on the bible's lessons on human behavior and morality - and I concluded those lessons are timeless. My corollary conclusion is that humans' immoral/amoral conduct stems from their belief that there is no life after death, and thus no need for personal accountability - the ultimate definition of narcissism (I am the center of the world). Don't believe in God? Ponder this. What is infinity? Imagine the infinitely largest number, then multiply it times itself an infinite number of times, then add 1 to it, then repeat, ad infinitum. What is the probability that the incredibly complex, elegant structure of the human body (including its brain) is an accident? Once I concluded the human body was not accidentally created, the rest has more easily followed on.

Ray Newman

Single-Sixer
"The only time I go to church is for weddings and funerals. Mom told me when I was young, don't discuss religion or politics, you'll have a happier life."
--Tazbigdog

I just don't even go to church anymore. I especially don't do funerals as to me they are just like to office Christmas parties/get togethers -- people that your don't like or will stab you in the back will act like you are friends. I don't know how many times at funerals I heard people talking about the deceased as if they were the best of friends, when in fact they could not stand each other.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
"The only time I go to church is for weddings and funerals. Mom told me when I was young, don't discuss religion or politics, you'll have a happier life."
--Tazbigdog

I just don't even go to church anymore. I especially don't do funerals as to me they are just like to office Christmas parties/get togethers -- people that your don't like or will stab you in the back will act like you are friends. I don't know how many times at funerals I heard people talking about the deceased as if they were the best of friends, when in fact they could not stand each other.
So very true!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts