Hybra Port Porting HELP PLEASE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

micevmi

Bearcat
Hello all, I am now registered in this nice forum and read it with interest.

I really like the idea of modifying the weapon and I want to do it but unfortunately in Bulgaria there is nothing in weapons stores, Custom workshops in Bulgaria - I can only dream. So I decided to modified weapon itself.
I apologize to bother you with my problems but I have no choice.
This is for my Ruger SP101; 357mag.; 3 1/16'' Barrel.

With much difficulty I got different quality stuff from America and so far I have done the following modifications:
1. Rubber Monogrip - With Ruger Logo (Made by Hogue)
2. Complete Action Tuning
3. Crown Barrel
4. Replace all Springs (Made by Wolff)
5. Polish all Plungers and Pins
6. Recontour & Polish Triger and Hammer
7. Dehorn for Carry
8. Eliminate Cylinder Endshake
9. Green Night Sight (Made by Trijicon)

I really want to do and this modification:
1. Hybra Port Porting and because there is no information anywhere on how this should be done.

If you have a little time, could you help me with some information about Hybra Port Porting - with what diameter drill holes, I saw different photographs in INTERNET that are open with different size (diameter) of greater towards less?

Please, can anyone who has such a revolver Ruger SP101; 357mag.; 3 1/16'' Barrel, to measure the holes in Hybra Port Porting and distance between them?
Any information would be useful for me - Hybra Port Porting.

Best Regards,
Mihail Micev
Bulgaria

014967351.jpg

014967354.jpg

COR

Blackhawk
Welcome

I visited Bulgaria in 1997 as a Marine. I was over East of you in Varna...Interesting place back then...

You are talking about Magna Porting or something to the like. In my opinion you aren't going to see a tremendous advantage with doing it however if you do decide to do it, I would not recommend it as a "home gunsmith" project. There are other manufacturers that do it by Magna Porting is the company that made it famous. I don't know for sure but I believe there has to be more to it than just drilling a few holes....maybe not.

Just shoot .38's if the .357 is too hot.

micevmi

Bearcat
COR":3po7crww said:
Welcome

I visited Bulgaria in 1997 as a Marine. I was over East of you in Varna...Interesting place back then...

You are talking about Magna Porting or something to the like. In my opinion you aren't going to see a tremendous advantage with doing it however if you do decide to do it, I would not recommend it as a "home gunsmith" project. There are other manufacturers that do it by Magna Porting is the company that made it famous. I don't know for sure but I believe there has to be more to it than just drilling a few holes....maybe not.

Just shoot .38's if the .357 is too hot.

Hello,
Yes, Varna is a pleasant city, I'm going there during the summer on vacation.
Now I searched and people who make Hybra port porting, but in Bulgaria there are very few people who understand those works. I need information on the size of the holes Hybra Port Porting and then I will do. :)

micevmi

Bearcat
I added pictures of what I need.

Please, can anyone who has such a revolver Ruger SP101; 357mag.; 3 1/16'' Barrel, to measure the holes in Hybra Port Porting and distance between them? :(

maxpress

Buckeye
as far as porting you can make the ports any size you want as long as they fit the area. magna porting on the top is just one opyion and it uses about a 1/4 inch hole. or you can "compensate" just the last inch with 4-6 1/16 inch holes.

here are my concerns about a home job.

1: being a knife maker im thinking metalurgy. if you heat that barrel while drilling you are going to change the temper and cause it to be to soft (cools to slow) or to brittle (cools to fast) if you insist on doing this i would do it with the gun submerged in water.

2: if your holes arnt exact then your gun is going to twist with recoil and the gasses arnt going to escape evenly and it might cause eratic bullet flight or a way off point of aim. our gun shop says "i would advise against porting because i have seen even the pro shops F it up" and makes the understanding clear that he is just the shipper.

3: if your porting comes out spaced right then you are going to have to rehone the inside of the barrel to get rid of all the rough cut from the mill/drill

not trying to discorage you but it cost alot for a reason and isnt just a drill press and a saturday afternoon.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I have just one bit of advice ... DON'T DO IT. Not only will you probably ruin a perfectly good gun, that is the most hideous type of porting ever designed. If you can't handle the recoil of a 357, shoot 38's out of it. Why hack up a nice gun because you think something looks cool. Guns that are ported like that have virtually ZERO resale value as well.

REV

Frank V

Single-Sixer
I believe Maxpress & revhigh, have stated the problem really well. Magna-Port, I believe, uses an electrical discharge machine which leaves no burrs on the inside or outside of the barrel. Drilling holes with a drill press will.
Besides that it will make an already noisy handgun Really noisy. We aren't trying to throw cold water on your project, but we have some reservations about this kind of a job being done without proper tools.
Frank

PS: I'm sorry I forgot my manners, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!
FV

Flash

Buckeye
I am impressed that you would use a picture of my gun.

002-16.jpg

Contact Gemini customs
http://www.geminicustoms.com/
for the exact same porting.
The gun is long gone but it had zero muzzle jump with stout loads and without any additional noise!!!!!!!!!!!!! When selling it on gunbroker, I received $550 from a $300 investment. A tad bit more than ZERO resale value. Gemini customs does excelent work. It's a good method of porting but night shooting may be a bit blinding.

Here is the original thread when I bought it and chronographed buth the ported gun and a non-ported gun in the same caliber.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... ht=#391999

dougader

Hunter
Another thing about hybrid type porting is that the holes are not the same diameter at the top of the barrel as they are when you bore through to the center of the barrel.

Think of a nozzle, like you might see at the base of a rocket. Its this conical shape that makes hybrid porting so effective.

I would advise not trying to do this at home.

I would also let you know that hybrid porting, as I understand it, causes a larger percentage of lost velocity than other types of porting (like MagnaPorting).

I had a G17 (9x21mm, 6" Barsto barrel) hybrid ported and with a hot 115 grain jhp load went from around 1533 fps, down to about 1265 fps.

In your case, a hot 357 magnum load may lose enough velocity to make the bullet slow enough to act like a 38 Special +P load. So the above advice about not porting your SP101 and just shooting 38 Special out of it, may be a good piece of advice.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Flash":23oqoeap said:
When selling it on gunbroker, I received $550 from a $300 investment. A tad bit more than ZERO resale value.

So, you received $550 for a $300 investment ? You were VERY lucky. But what about the cost of the original gun ... another $450 or so, for a total of $750 ? Either way, I was really referring to a home done hack job like the OP was trying to accomplish.

Still, IMO, it's hideous, with no reason for doing it, glad you don't still own it. Magnaporting is ugly enough, and it's pretty unpretentious. LOL :D

By the way, cheapest package with that porting that I saw was $370, plus probably about $75+ or so in shipping both ways, maybe more ... not $300, so I'd guess the porting package 'today' would be far closer to $500 plus the cost of the gun.

REV

Flash

Buckeye
revhigh":1y79uxvu said:
Flash":1y79uxvu said:
When selling it on gunbroker, I received $550 from a $300 investment. A tad bit more than ZERO resale value.

So, you received $550 for a $300 investment ? You were VERY lucky. But what about the cost of the original gun ... another $450 or so, for a total of $750 ?

REV

Thee wasn't any other cost, it was $300 out the door with Crimson Trace grips. I kept the grips and the bidding closed at $550. Not unpretentious to the six bidders. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and in my case, I found six of them bidding for the same uglyness. :roll:

dougader

Hunter
Flash":1fleoxib said:
Here is the original thread when I bought it and chronographed buth the ported gun and a non-ported gun in the same caliber.

I read through that thread and 3 others that were linked out from there. Maybe I'm blind, but I didn't see any chronograph results.

AroTek did the hybrid porting on my 9x21 G17 with 6" BarSto barrel. It took my Major 9 load (175 Power Factor) way way down into minor class. A 115 jhp @ 1533 fps down to 1265 fps. That's a 268 fps loss, or 17.5%.

Now, your are correct when you say there is absolutely no muzzle rise. My 9x21 was a hoot to shoot and it barked like a M1 Carbine. But I don't believe that hybrid type porting only loses a minimal amount of velocity. I'd have to do the chrono work myself. Actually, I already have.

Now, Maga Porting is a different process and I do believe that velocity loss is minimal with that process. Hybrid ports are a completely different matter.

Flash

Buckeye
dougader":rx8l991y said:
Flash":rx8l991y said:

I read through that thread and 3 others that were linked out from there. Maybe I'm blind, but I didn't see any chronograph results.

quote]

Damn, you said it not me.

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:36 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a few minutes to scramble out and fire off a cylinder full of light target loads in each gun and here are the results. The first five shots were in the ported gun and were...
For an average of 579.2 fps.

The factory gun velocities were....
For an average of 635.6 fps
The muzzle jump was nonexistent with the ported gun but the factory gun had to be lowered back to point of aim on every shot. No soot or flying debris from the ported gun and no distracting flash. Conditions were calm and shaded.

dougader

Hunter
Well, that's my problem... there are 2 pages! I do have bad eyes! Sincerely.

Try shooting some actual full power 357 magnum loads and see what the difference is...

Latest posts