hunting preference

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BrianU

Bearcat
Limited to factory ammunition? Thats easy, the .44 magnum. I have and use both the .45 Colt and .44 magnum, but like many have already pointed out, at this moment right now on Sunday morning, I can get in my truck and within a reasonable drive, find a box of 240 grain JHPs sitting a on a shelf. Pretty much any 240 grain factory load, for that matter, all of the factory loaded 180, 240 and 270 grain loads I have ever tried in my OM SBH, were very accurate. For me personally, it is a comfortable round to shoot. In the field, its about like shooting a .30-06, I just do not notice any recoil. These days you will find hard cast bullets in my hunting revolvers, but I am sure even the tougher bullet resistant whitetails roaming the woods these days will still succumb to a lowly JHP.

Truth be told, the main reason I prefer my .45 Colt over my .44 for hunting is primarily the gun its chambered in. I really like the Bisley grip and the the shorter 5.5" barrel does does go to my belt when carried my shoulder holster.

Brian