Hunting partner in for a surprise

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
My elk hunting accomplice showed up yesterday to switch scopes and zero his rifle. Let's be honest, he's not the "gun nut" I am but he's been shooting his entire life. Since he lives in Iowa, his deer season is generally a less precise pursuit than mine. Grab the old blunderbus, hit the convenience store for a couple of 5 packs of whatever brand/type of slugs they have on the shelf, waste 3 slugs shooting offhand at a 12 pack box @25 yards, and go hunting. The hope is the inaccuracy of the projo or misalignment of POA vs POI will coincide to produce a hit on a deer racing across the corn field at an unknown distance(but most certainly well beyond the honest expectation of a sure hit). Sorry, I just couldn't resist this dig at the "shotgun" state.
Anyhoo, he arrived with 3 1/2 boxes of 270 ammo of 3 different flavors. My shoulder won't tolerate shooting a 270 so he was on his own for that. I looked at the ammo he brought and had a "rutt row El Roy" moment. Two of the ammo choices were totally unacceptable for elk and the third(a box of Federal Premium Long range something or other) was marginally OK. I started him out with the cheapest alternative to get a close zero which went pretty well. Three shots had the POI within 2" of POA. We had a bit of miscommunication as he thought I wanted him to aim at the previous bullet hole rather than continuing to aim at the center of the target. As I said, different ideas about how this is supposed to work.
By the time we got to the at least marginally suitable ammo, I was having to ask him where the crosshairs were when the shot broke and guess at whether the hit was good or yip. We took a break to go in and get his license bought online and then went back out and changed the support, seat, and such to give him a better chance at making a group rather some wasting ammo. I think he had 8 or 9 rounds left in the box of Federals when I decided it was getting better or closer to where I thought it should be and quit torturing him.
As he was collecting his stuff, he asked if I thought he should get another box of the Federals. OMG, you only bought one box of the only suitable choice? Yeah, why? Well considering that most ammo shelves are empty, that may be the only box of that particular ammo in south central Iowa. Looks like our trip may take longer than expected if we have to stop at every farm and sporting goods store between here and Chama.

contender

Ruger Guru
Sadly,, many of us see similar things every year. Some folks do nit understand the current shortages, the lack of stuff. But even worse,, is what it really takes to PROPERLY hunt & have the correct stuff. And of course,, PRACTICE for that shot,, as the animal deserves a clean kill.
It's sad that a person is willing to spend a lot of money on a trip like this,, and yet,, NOT fully prepare for it. Especially by cheaping out on ammo & equipment.
Last year,, my elk hunting trip,,, daily practice with 2 handguns,, well before we left,, resulted in shooting about 3200 rounds of ammo in practice. And I never got the chance at an elk,, but I was prepared.

Heck, just least weekend,, I was headed to a small gun show,, and my buddy called & asked me to find him a "box or two" of his preferred .308 ammo. (Hornady 150 grn.) He said he only had 4-5 shells currently. I politely informed him of the current crunch of ammo issues,, and said; "I'll try but I doubt I'll find any."
Well, almost no luck in much in .308 at all, until I found 4 boxes of 150 grn & 147 grn FMJ military stuff. Since I hadn't seen any,, I called him, and he passed on it. then, 2 tables later,, I found a guy who had 10-12 boxes of Remington Core-Lok 150's marked at $25 a box. AND, the guy offered a better deal if I (we) bought more than a box.
I called my buddy.
He grumbled a bit & all, but said; "Get 2 boxes." I politely told him; "You really should buy several." He declined,, but the guy still sold me the 2 boxes for $45.
Later,, when we were talking on the phone,, he allowed how he never really liked the Remington Core-Loks, and wanted to know if I could "Pull the bullets & replace them with the same Hornady bullets he liked." Suffice it to say I gave him a long lecture on how things would be different, and how much work it would be etc. AND,, how the performance wouldn't be the same. He thought I could just re-use the powder charge from each shell & make him "his ammo."
Well, he has managed to dig around in his stuff, finding about 9-10 more of his preferred Hornady ammo, and is keeping the Remington's for later, if needed.
Now, this guy is actually a good hunter,, and does know a bit more about guns & stuff. But his personal approach is "close is good enough" (beer can at 100 yds.) And he's not the best at keeping his equipment in top shape.
But he does accept that I do know a bit more & that I'm willing to help him. He's now looking at buying a box of 50 Hornady bullets, (currently about $45) that he likes,, and seeing about getting some powder & primers, to have me help him load his ammo. I told him "Good luck in finding powder & primers." He claims he can find it. We'll see.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
Many of us have been around firearms most of our lives. I got a Benjamin pellet rifle at 12 was a pump blue strek model. Heck I could pick off chipmunks and squealers quite easily one summer I had 75 chipmunk pelts stapled
to a sheet of plywood, my way of displaying them. Shoot a few go home and skin them out. All history from there on, still enjoy Shooting and Hunting! ps

Uncle Howie

Buckeye
contender said:
...I found a guy who had 10-12 boxes of Remington Core-Lok 150's...

Remington Core-Lokt... “Deadliest mushroom in the woods!” :p

I’ve always loved that ad slogan. :mrgreen:

Uncle Howie

Buckeye
Mobuck said:
Since he lives in Iowa, his deer season is generally a less precise pursuit than mine. Grab the old blunderbus, hit the convenience store for a couple of 5 packs of whatever brand/type of slugs they have on the shelf, waste 3 slugs shooting offhand at a 12 pack box @25 yards, and go hunting. The hope is the inaccuracy of the projo or misalignment of POA vs POI will coincide to produce a hit on a deer racing across the corn field at an unknown distance(but most certainly well beyond the honest expectation of a sure hit). Sorry, I just couldn't resist this dig at the "shotgun" state.

First off... I think it’s pretty much a guy’s responsibility to heckle his hunting buddy. No harm, no foul! :mrgreen:

I live in the “shotgun zone” in MN. Many folks here launching Foster slug “artillery shots” at running deer.

Buy a box of “whatever” slugs the gas station has, shoot them through whatever choke your shotgun barrel has, using the bead for a sight.

Drives me nuts, when there are so many better options. You owe your quarry the respect of an ethical harvest!

I bought a fully-rifled Hastings slug barrel for my Remington 870. It has a cantilever scope mount, to which I affixed a Leupold 1.5-4.5X scope. Total price was about $350 brand new, though that was about five years ago, and the barrel was on sale. Budget-minded folks could easily go a little cheaper on the scope, or buy a used barrel.

I looked at a $350 investment on equipment that will last my lifetime as “money well-spent.” I don’t see myself ever being without a Remington 870, so it was a no-brainer.

I shoot copper sabot slugs from Federal. I bought a bunch from a lot that shoots well in my barrel, and have then stored in a sealed ammo can with desiccant packets in controlled temps.

I can repeatedly shoot 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards (from a rest... which I also have on my stand). This load retains over 1,500 ft.-lbs. of energy at 100 yards, which is my personally-imposed limit for slug hunting. If a deer gives me a good shot at 100 yards, I will take that shot with great confidence.

Anyway, I’m “preaching to the choir” of a group of dedicated enthusiasts on this Forum! 8)

It would have been a lot easier to post, “What Mobuck and Contender said!” :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Uncle Howie, I get a kick out the hunting style of many deer hunters. I work at it like it's the most important thing I have going right now. I fully understand that my description was not applicable to those dedicated slug hunters who are required by the flawed logic of the politicians to use such Neanderthal equipment. I hunted deer in ILL twice. Once as the guest of a dear friend who I couldn't say no to and again on a handicapped youth hunt as a mentor. Both times, I spent days getting the right combination of equipment set up to be successful.
I've been leaning on my hunting partner to get things done but typical of many of the "younger" folks, he's just "too busy" to put in that time. They seem to think they can just rush out, buy something, bolt it together, and have a precision piece of equipment that performs perfectly. I assume things will go poorly and expect to spend far more time to achieve my expected results. I spent an hour checking ammo sources for more of what he had and found NOTHING. In fact, none of my primary sources have ANY 270 ammo of any kind. Oh well, I'm taking a spare rifle with plenty of ammo in case we need it.

Latest posts