How's your memory? (rerun)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FastEd

Hunter
Its funny how some things stick in your head for years. Some insignificant thought that you can still recall 50 or 60 years later compared to trying to remember your mother-in-law’s first name.

Around 1978 I was sitting in my office with my feet on the desk trying to figure out why the new car business was going into the dumper. The radio was on and I was listening to the local “Man on the Street” show. Every day at the end of the show they had a trivia question of the day and the winner got a prize. I always liked trivia stuff and usually caught the show two or three times a week.

I heard the guy mention Sam Spade and that piqued my interest.
The Adventures of Sam Spade, starring Howard Duff came on the Radio around 1946 right after WWII and right before TV made its debut around 1948. I was a real fan of the show about the tough wise-cracking private detective. During the intro of the show Duff always talked into his recording machine and said: “This is Sam Spade, private detective, license number 137596.” I don’t know how many times I heard that. It was unimportant but more like a subliminal message.

Well you guessed it, the trivial question of the day was: “What was Sam Spade’s license number?” That was almost 30 years since I had heard that. And all of a sudden I‘m thinking, “I know that!”

I didn’t call in because I was not interested in the prize or the notoriety. I just got a kick out of the whole thing. But after the show went on for another 15 minutes nobody had called. So finally I did call in and talked to the guy and the first thing he said was that had to be a tough one and he didn’t think there would be a winner.

So I asked him if I had won a trip to Miami Beach and he laughed and gave me a list. Items from all his sponsors. I called my son and let him go over and pick it up.

So now when the cop asks how fast I was going, I tell him: “I don’t know but I still remember Sam Spade’s license number.

graygun

Hunter
It's not unusual to recall various stuff from long ago and short term acuity fades fairly early-on. I remember our phone numbers from the 50s and 60s.

RKB

Single-Sixer
Yup. As far back as I can remember I loved to read books, and still do. I can still remember my first ever library card number, as a six-year-old, from the Cleves, OH public library - X98572. 58 years ago - but I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday.
Never mind, I'm sure it was good....:)

Hugh

Buckeye
I remember among other things, a toy jeep. I remember and can still see the time I was wanting that jeep, but my younger brother had it clenched in his little hand while sleeping in his crib. My next older sister, Bev, was with me and I was trying unsuccessfully to pull the jeep out of his hand. This was before we moved from our house in Bremerton, Washington in late summer of 1945; I was three years old at the time.

There are other things about those very early years, before the end of the war, that are very clear in my memory, even today.

And now to later events and radio programs. I really liked to listen to Johnny Dollar, who always signed his notes; yours truly, Johnny Dollar. That program went into the 1950's. There were others but that was my favorite.

Just remembered, in the late 1940's, The Whistler, sponsored by Signal Oil, Nick Carter on Sunday afternoon followed by The Shadow. Gunsmoke on Friday evening with William Conrad as Matt Dillon. X-Minus 1 on Sunday evening. Those ones in the early 1950's I listened to on a Crystal set made with my own two hands with an earphone. Yep, those truly were the days.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Ashley listens to those old programs on one of the SIRIUSXM channels at night; Sam Spade, The Shadow, GunSmoke and several others. Lots of fun; Also I think there is even some OLD Sherlock Holmes stories and did I mention the Green Hornet?

Jim Puke

Hunter
TitanX said:
If I understand you correctly, Ed, all you can claim is that you had a good memor in 1978. :lol:

It is 2015...and he still remembers it.

Jim Puke

Hunter
TitanX said:
Jim Luke said:
TitanX said:
If I understand you correctly, Ed, all you can claim is that you had a good memor in 1978. :lol:

It is 2015...and he still remembers it.

Maybe he wrote it down in 1978. :wink:

Well, if he can still find that piece of paper, from 1978, he has a very good memory. :wink:

Rancher Will

Blackhawk
Why some number never leave memory is a mystery to me too. I sometimes check to be sure that I remember the day each year for my wife's birthday. I carry a tally book in my pocket with many things jotted down that I have to remember for business.

But there are two numbers that I have never forgotten. Both assigned to me in 1949-50.

My Air Force Serial Number, AF 17 296 966, and my Military MOS (Military Occupation Specialty), 96190. How or why I cannot forget these I have no idea.

RugerHound

Hunter
I still remember the first telephone number I learned (when they were 5 digits) and the licence plate number off a VW bus that I owned in the mid 1970s. NO idea why...

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I have read that any knowledge learned always stays in your memory banks. It is your retreival system that is at fault. The more you recall a memory, the closer at hand it stays. The less frequently you recall, the further back it gets.

Many youngsters who have earned Silver Eagles still remember books of the Bible and can find passages easily. Those who fell away from Sunday School and Church have a more difficult time locating Scriptures. All in less than ten years span.

Bob Wright

Latest posts