How's the quality of current-production single-sixes?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

G. Freeman

Bearcat
Hi Guys,
Just wondering what you guys are seeing out there. I've read some previous posts aboutlarger B/C gaps with this model.

I bought a stainless blackhawk in 357 a couple of months ago and the gun is as perfect as can be. Wondering if the single-six (stainless or blued) are built to looser tolerances.

Thanks in advance!

we have seen the new models of the Single Sixes run the 'gammut' from close, to a bit "wide" but still with in specs...they should be .004-.008" gap, years ago, it was ok even wider, but they closed things up ...too close, it can foul up, and cause rubbing, too far, you can get "blow by" ( splatter) but this can also be from the forcing cone 'finish', as well as different types of ammo.......be fore you buy, hold it up to the light and check the gap, ,make sure you rotate the cylinder, check it all the way around......AND< if its a 'convertible, gotta check BOTH cylinders.....

Cholo

Staff member
I'll answer as to the title of your post, not the post itself. I've looked at and handled many recent SS's and to say I'm disappointed is an understatement. The fit/finish leaves a lot to be desired. The grip frame to the main frame fit stinks to say the least. Ruger's blue, I mean black, finish leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm sure they're a great bang for the buck, no pun intented, but I think I'll stick with the old ones for a few $'s more.

Just my 2 cents that won't buy you a single nugget of Purina Dog Chow...

steveinaz

Single-Sixer
As of late, I think Rugers are best bought where they can be inspected, checked, handled as they are all over the map. Having said that, I got VERY lucky with my last 2 internet purchases (Davidsons) as both my Montado and Single Six are of excellent fit & finish--but I was definitely concerned until they arrived...

You know, Ruger isn't the "inexspensive" gun it used to be. Sure they are affordable, but prices have creeped up quite a bit in recent years. Now, you can probably get away with a cheap price and a so-so quality gun; but when the price goes up, and at the same time quality goes down--that's no good.

Listening Ruger?

Now I never address a problem without a possible solution (I'm an ARMY vet). I think I have a fairly good one, at least for newly purchased Rugers. When you get a new Ruger that is sub-standard, post the name of the inspector from your fired case envelope, and describe the faults with the gun...then contact Ruger with the name, and ask specifically what it is the inspector should be looking for, and how that particular individual could miss such obvious flaws.

ElrodCod

Single-Sixer
The last NIB Single Six I looked at had a rusty hammer, rust where the barrel was screwed into the frame, rust in the hammer slot under the transfer bar and rust in the spring end of the base pin. Probably artifacts from the bluing process. The rear face of both cylinders was rough enough to use as a file and the top strap had some porosity that wouldn't buff out. The finish was blotchy too. Ruger's quality control is non existant.

contender

Ruger Guru
ElrodCod, it is possible that hte rust happened AFTER the gun left Ruger. Distributors, delivery personel, gun shops all handle the firearm after it leaves Ruger.
I have gotten mail that was water damamged,, and other times even burned a little. It seems that wrecks by the delivery folks where fire & water were present caused the damages. Don't automatically blame Ruger for rust.
Now,, blueing salts bleeding,,, that's another issue.

All that said,, QC can be excellent or shabby. Can ANY of us say we have ALWAYS give 100% on each & every job we've ever done?? Is any of us perfect?? No, so as it is with ANY manufactired product,, some things bad get by inspectors. But, I have gotten a couple of new Rugers this past year,, and they all have been flawless!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just don't expect custom fitted perfect guns from a production line.

steveinaz

Single-Sixer
contender":3ane52cy said:
Just don't expect custom fitted perfect guns from a production line.

Shouldn't we expect guns that work? I don't think anyone is expecting a "Freedom Arms" quality gun at Ruger prices.

ElrodCod

Single-Sixer
Contender,
I didn't see any evidence of water damage....the plastic bag was dry inside & out as was the owners manual & notification card. All but the hammer rust cleaned up & it looked to be from the bluing. I was more concerned with the porosity on the top strap, you could see where the person doing the polishing tried to get it out & "dished" out a small place. The rear face of the cylinders was another issue. When I said that it could be used for a file I wasn't exaggerating....you could strike a match on them. The counter guy tried wiping one with a cloth he left a bunch of fibers on it for his trouble. On the plus side, the front sight appears to be top dead center & the cylinder gap appears within tolerence with both cylinders. The only way I'd buy this piece is if the shop gives me a deep discount or they send it to Ruger to fix.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, I was just giving an example of how it's possible to get rust after it left the factory.
I agree that guns should work from the factory,,, but the tolerances QC accepts may be larger than what some shooters expect.
We've had these discussions before here,, and we'll have them again. Ruger is in the business to sell a product. They, like any company want to sell a lot,, without losing much. All to often in ANY manufacturing process,,, a product gets passed that is marginal,,, hoping it'll get sold & not get noticed by somebody. Line workers have production numbers to meet,,, scrap or bad parts cost time & money,, and a lot of workers let a lot of things slide by. No matter what the company is making.
HOWEVER,,, a gun shop that gets in a gun,, and DOESN'T inspect it for such obvious flaws such as rust,,, or extremely rough areas such as mentioned above, and puts it out for sale is also wrong in hoping a buyer will buy it & go about their business. Gun shops can inspect a gun easier & quicker & take any "bad" guns and have them sent back a lot easier than pissing off a customer.
Yet,,, when a problem is noticed,,, and politely brought to Ruger's attention,, they happily fix it. Remember,, they are human,, and mistakes do happen. But,,, all too often some folks expect the quality of a Freedom Arms gun for the price of a Ruger. Production vs custom... check the costs!

blkhawk

Bearcat
I've bought 3 new Rugers in the past 2 1/2 months, 2 blued NM Blackhawks and a NM Super Single Six in stainless. All have been perfect in every way.

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
My newest new model (purchased on the forum) is one of the best single actions that I have ever had in my hands. Its a Stainless 45 blackhawk with a 4 5/8 barrel. Tight as a drum, minumal B/C gap ( might be a little to close). Front sight is straight up and the cylinder locks up like a safe. Now, it isn't quit as good as my freedom arms guns but its very very good. :)

Cholo

Staff member
I paid $90.25 for my 1st new handgun in '75, a Ruger Super Single Six, which is still my favorite handgun bar none because of the memories. What is $90.25 in todays $'s? Hmmm... I think I saw a price of about $300+ yesterday in a Sportsman's Wearhouse. Cheap in comparison!

What would my $90.25 in '75 be worth in '09? Why is it that what we thought was such a good deal back then when many of us really didn't have much extra cash, is too much to pay for a Ruger now considering inflation? It's the Walmart mentality that cheap is all the masses look for :roll:

Maybe Ruger would make a Single Six with the same quality they had back then if people would be willing to pay the same price adjusted for inflation now. They're not. I'd be willing to pay more to get more, most won't. Ruger's QC, or lack thereof, is dictated by what the masses are willing to pay. I'm willing to pay more, are you?

Till then, I'll pay a bit extra for a better fit/finish in their older guns than what's offered today. How 'bout you? I didn't think so...

What I see as Ruger's lack of QC is dictated by the consumer, not the company. I hate the saying...you get what you pay for. I do like...quality is never cheap.

ElrodCod

Single-Sixer
Ruger1441":2f93kxsf said:
My newest new model (purchased on the forum) is one of the best single actions that I have ever had in my hands. Its a Stainless 45 blackhawk with a 4 5/8 barrel. Tight as a drum, minumal B/C gap ( might be a little to close). Front sight is straight up and the cylinder locks up like a safe. Now, it isn't quit as good as my freedom arms guns but its very very good. :)

That's how they all should be. Cholo thinks the inferior ones that slip by are somehow caused by the consumer demanding cheap prices and lays the blame squarely at WalMart. I have to disagree, most new Ruger single actions fall into the $400-$600 range. That's not what I call cheap. Recent price increases by Ruger shows that they aren't concerned about the cheap minded buyer. The current political climate is making the entire firearms industry prosperous dispite the ill effects of the recession. That's where the trouble lies....put out as much product as you can & let costomer service do the QC. The fact that Ruger does get it right most (some?) of the time shows that they can do so at no extra cost. Now, it could be that it's the good ones are accidental and are the ones slipping by & not vice, versa but that's not likely. Every Ruger employee should have the right to reject a part if it's not up to snuff. It takes a bit of training & it's not costly but it does take a change in policy.

DGW1949

Hunter
It aint just Ruger...it's all of 'em.

You can pay 3X the price of a Blackhawk and buy a Colt instead. The gun might "look" prettier, but ya know what?....after over a hunert years or so, them peckerwoods still can't get their .45 barrels and cylinders in spec.
And if you want a transfer-bar, load-six SA, don't even think about a Colt Cowboy, because them things was so bad that folks quit buying 'em...so Colt quit making them.

Then there's S&W and their current crop of cheap made but high priced DA's, which haven't been without problems either. Quite an ending for a company that once made some of the best DA revolvers that a guy could have, don't ya think?
They should be ashamed to even stamp the S&W logo on that crap.

So what do ya do?...dunno. Your money, your choice.
Personaly though, make mine a Ruger.
While it's true that they aint all built perfect, at least the design is sound. So even if worse comes to worse, and it does turn out that something needs addressed, I know that in the end I'll be left with a very good gun.

Just my .02 .

DGW

Latest posts