How would you spend your life if you knew you only had months to go"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Robb Barnes

Hunter
I'd work to get my last few custom gun projects wrapped up by the smiths then let my kids choose what they want and sell the rest. Find a good home for my riding mule, make sure everything that needs done on the house is done so my wife wouldn't have to worry about it then spend as much time as my kids could stand being with my grandkids. I figure the things I did not get to do or see in this life will pale once I get to my final home in heaven.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
I was once told I probably only had around 10 years to go. So I made a mental list of everything I wanted to do and I did it all.

Then somehow I didn't drop dead after 10 years. This was quite a while ago and I'm still vertical, but I had a great time for those 10 years and did a ton of stuff. I've had people tell me I couldn't possibly have done all those things, but I kept things to verify each and every thing.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I was once told I probably only had around 10 years to go. So I made a mental list of everything I wanted to do and I did it all.

Then somehow I didn't drop dead after 10 years. This was quite a while ago and I'm still vertical, but I had a great time for those 10 years and did a ton of stuff. I've had people tell me I couldn't possibly have done all those things, but I kept things to verify each and every thing.
Good for you, my friend! I hope you loved every minute of it. ;)

harley08

Single-Sixer
As soon as you find out you're a dead person walking. Here's a pro tip, don't ever let the quacks run any test on you, use them to get your scrips and that's it. You run the show not them. Had I listen to them over the years I would have become addicted to narcotics and have ended up in a wheelchair from bogus surgery's.

They are not your friends and they are not experts.

I'm on the hunt for a new provider now as I was thrown out of the office earlier this year when I made mention they were no more qualified or knew anything more than homeless person. No biggie it wasn't the first time. Some won't even see me because I refuse to allow them to run test on me.

Medicare is constantly bombarding me with emails to don't forget to get this test or that test.
Get my scrip sign off and let me get the hell out of here. :)

The medical establishment is a racket and there is no money to be made in cures. So you find out you got cancer and then what, live in fear. To hell with all that, the very fact I'm still alive and on my feet is a blessing. My motto is just drop dead, I don't want to know anything, it's the best time ever in my life, seriously.
When my uncle Buddy was dying from cancer, he traveled until he could not.

That's a hard question to answer truthfully. There more obligations to consider than just what I want and a limited funding to consider. I lost my beloved 2 years ago, my only sibling a few months ago. One of my best friends a couple weeks ago. I only have a couple old friends left and they live elsewhere.
I guess I would like to go say goodbye to each and spin some tall tales. To get there I would like to borrow a Scat Pack Charger and drive Route 66, go up through Yosemite then loop back down to San Diego by Pacific Coast Hwy, make a last trip out into the desert, Ocotillo Wells to Tumco, then back thru Tombstone and El Paso, Amarillo and then home.
Settle up my personal business and try to take care of the grandkids. Two live with me so they have to find homes. Move the gun safe to my son's house. Then thank the Lord for what he has given me, and the blessings I've had. Spend the rest of what time was left with the grandkids and great-granddaughter. The will and all final paperwork is already done since the last time I died. My tombstone is already at my gravesite just waiting for the date to be inscribed.

I had 2 sisters a Sister-In-Law that were all in their 30s die of Cancer.
My MIL 70 and my best friend 67 also died of Cancer.
All 5 continued their life as they had been doing.
I really don' know what I would do other than spend as much time with Wife and Kids and Grandkids.
I pretty much have everything and done everything I want to do.

johnp

Bearcat
I think most people forget that we are all born with a death sentence, we don't know the when or the how it will all end. My plan is to live everyday if it was my last, treat people in a way that they will miss me when I'm gone and enjoy as much of this world in the process.

dannyd

Blackhawk
My wife as been a Cancer Patient for 23 years, so we make at least one trip to the Oncologist a year and when you see kids with no hair and a mask on before it was popular to where a mask. It's hard for this old gray haired guy to complain about anything.

So enjoy what you can and be glad you were not one of those kids.

Hvymax

Blackhawk
It would take that long or more to unload my crap on anyone who would appreciate it. And call the auction house for the rest. That should give me time with the people who care to have something to remember me by. We can shoot the guns, go over the vehicles, drink the booze etc.

BearBiologist

Blackhawk
Fifteen years ago, I was an apprentice Freemason. The first lessons you learn concern obedience and respect. I was bussing at our annual Christmas Dinner and took my break to sit and eat with the Lodge Master. He introduced me to a Brother and I asked, "How are you doin'?" He answered, "I'm dying but I'm doing fine!" He explained that he had Stage IV liver cancer and had just returned from a world cruise with his wife and kids. He told me that he had had a good life and was at peace with his Almighty. He was planning on spending his remaining days doing good deeds as a Mason.

Now, I'm 72 with diabetes, a heart condition, hypertension, and pretty severe arthritis. I recognize my days are getting short. I plan to follow his example: A halibut trip to Alaska, helping at the year's Christmas Dinner for the needy, making my beehouses for our pollinator's, and visiting my daughter and my nieces and nephews, at least two of which are likely continuing in my footsteps as biologists, at least one a Marine Biologist. My youth was moderately misspent, but I've tried to bring things back into balance these last 20 years or so. I am at peace with myself. I have more good memories than bad ones.

caryc

Hawkeye
As soon as you find out you're a dead person walking. Here's a pro tip, don't ever let the quacks run any test on you, use them to get your scrips and that's it. You run the show not them. Had I listen to them over the years I would have become addicted to narcotics and have ended up in a wheelchair from bogus surgery's.

They are not your friends and they are not experts.

I'm on the hunt for a new provider now as I was thrown out of the office earlier this year when I made mention they were no more qualified or knew anything more than homeless person. No biggie it wasn't the first time. Some won't even see me because I refuse to allow them to run test on me.

Medicare is constantly bombarding me with emails to don't forget to get this test or that test.
Get my scrip sign off and let me get the hell out of here. :)

The medical establishment is a racket and there is no money to be made in cures. So you find out you got cancer and then what, live in fear. To hell with all that, the very fact I'm still alive and on my feet is a blessing. My motto is just drop dead, I don't want to know anything, it's the best time ever in my life, seriously.
The last time I had a bout with gout, a doctor wanted me to start on Cymbalta. I knew it was used to treat depression and anxiety. But, she said it sometimes helped with gout. She went ahead with the prescription and they mailed me the drug. I still have the full bottle of the stuff since I never took even one. I didn't want to get hooked on that crap per chance it may or may not help with my gout. I got with another doctor and got a prescription for prednisone which I wanted in the first place. The prednisone took care of the gout and I didn't even have to take all of it.

The only thing that depressed me was having the gout. As soon as that was cured I was no longer depressed!

dweis

Single-Sixer
When my dad was given a terminal diagnosis at age 67 he decided to travel to places he had never been. He had two more years. For all but the last six months he travelled. If I were told the end was coming, I would get in my 1993 Cadillac Allante convertible and go on a road trip across the United States excerpt for Tchaikovsky 11 states that do not recognize either my PA or AZ permits. To me death is the final act of living. Do it with the same spirit that guided your life.

Latest posts