How to treat a NIB collectable

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Question for all the experienced Ruger collectors out there. Let me preface this by saying while I have some nice firearms they all are shooters and working guns, no safe queens. That being said, when collectors obtain a new gun for their collection, as shipped from Ruger, NIB, but several decades old. How to you treat it and what level of cleaning do you perform if any?

The gun (revolver as an example) would have evidence of its test firing on the face of the cylinder and the back plate, barrel will appear clean, but there is residue there from the test firing.

With the gun received in this condition, what do yo do to it, to prepare it for storage, and future safe keeping?

You input is greatly appreciated, as don't want to do anything wrong. Question may seem silly, but honest request. :roll:

SBH4628

Blackhawk
I clean the barrel and chambers out with Hoppes #9,Then wipe the gun with a G96 silicone cloth. Never have a problem with rust.

single action

Single-Sixer
Never store in anything that can hold moisture, if you collects some of the older colts that were in presentation boxs those can be deadly to the backside of the gun. being from colorado in the winter you may have humidity problems seasonally other then that I would agree with Blackhawk relative to a cleaning regimen.
Every six months take it out and wipe down, and look it over well to be ahead of any issues. sa

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I remove the grips, base pin, Cylinder, &EJRH.
Clean, re-assemble & re-oil. I then put each gun in
a section of silicone treated gun sock. I do this to
protect the gun from "box burns". I take all the paper
work and put it in a 1gal zip-lock to prevent stains.
Just one of many methods.
Terry

flatgate

Hawkeye
I've had good luck with wiping them down with G96 and storing them on the shelves in my safe.

I'll stick a 1/2" wood dowel through the trigger guard so they are "propped up" a bit......
132835047.jpg

Or, I'll store them in their boxes....
115908393.jpg

Twice a year, at least, they get the "wipe down" and, of course, before and after any gun show activity they get "fondled"..... :D

flatgate

contender

Ruger Guru
I clean them,, then I store them in silicone gun socks,, in my safe with a humidity rod. The boxes all get wrapped in either a vacum sealed bag,, or a cling wrap kitchen wrap.

Almost all my guns are in some kind of cardboard box,
either the proper factory box or any other Ruger box. The
generic yellow ones come in handy, there. I just put a lable on the backside with the gun info.
I clean the gun, oil the cylinders and bore with CLP, wipe all
outer surfaces with a silicone cloth and wrap the gun in
a treated paper . I bought about a hundred sheets from Smith & Wesson.
Guns are in a safe with a Golden Rod and a digital humidistat that I
bought from a Cigar on line store to moniter the moisture level which
varies around the 28%-32& area.
So far......so good.