How to tell if a Blackhawk has been re-blued?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
jrl9164
Several ways, but I will let the experts (Rugrguy, Flatgate, etc) explain.
One obvious fairly accurate and quick way is to check the cylinder and see if the serial number, or any part of it have been stamped or etched on it. This is only true for non convertable rugers though.
HD

flatgate

Hawkeye
There are good guns and bad guns...
biggrin.gif

One darn good clue is the blueing on the breech face. The assembly procedure is to blue the cylinder frame and blue the cylinder. Then the assembler "trues" the cylinder frame window with a broach or cutter of some sort. He gages the spot for the cylinder then sizes the cylinder to fit. So, this broaching and sizing removes the blueing.

Reblued guns are not usually "fixed" to simulate this procedure.
168871214.jpg

168871231.jpg

Compare these two images and then tell me what 'ya think.....

flatgate

jrl9164

Bearcat
Thanks Flatgate, that makes sense. I checked on the new (OM) Flattop I picked up over the weekend, and it appears to be original. I was skeptical because it looked too perfect, but it looks much like your top photo.

RugerHound

Hunter
If a weapon had been sent back to Ruger for one reason or another, might they not re-blue it? Just curious if there might ever be a time where a piece looked like the #2 photo, but would actually have been done by Ruger.

Thanks!

good pics flatgate, and more 'telling" is the lack of wear around the cylinder pin hole, that cannot be replaced, the "fitting" marks can be and are "replicated" with a proper restoration................color of the blue, ( guns finish) polishing marks ( under a proper light) rounding of edges, and washed out lettering , logos ,serial numbers ,are 'some' of the things to look for, but again, if done properly are NOT noticeable..............
there is a difference in a 'reblued gun" and a 'restoration', As well as a difference in a "custom" restoration, and put back to 'factory specs' job :wink: custom meaning 'added' touches, changes to original parts configurations...........

flatgate

Hawkeye
RugerHound said:
If a weapon had been sent back to Ruger for one reason or another, might they not re-blue it?
It doesn't matter if Ruger refinished the gun or if Bubba's Guns and Bait reblued the gun.......

Reblued, in the vast majority of cases, reduces the value. OF COURSE there are exceptions. Factory Engraved guns are prime examples as are some "presentation" pieces.

Some of my most favorite guns in my collection are reblued. They're not the "center" of my collection but are usually "affordable/shootable" examples of scarce versions.

JMHO,

flatgate

the factory will ONLY reblue it if you request AND pay for it..........
yes, lessens the value...........all of the books of values are based on a firearms amount of ORIGINAL finish..................

flatgate

Hawkeye
52401013.jpg

Refinished by a Very Reputable shop. Close inspection reveals a "dished out" spot where the polisher had a "brain fart". :evil:

357690092.jpg

Expertly performed work by the Factory!

flatgate