how to store primed brass?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
I seen some pictures of folks with piles of primed brass laying in containers waiting to be loaded. Is this safe to do?

J Miller

Blackhawk
Well, I don't know. I've done it. I've stored primed brass in cartridge boxes, zip lock bags, large boxes, cat litter buckets ( cleaned ones ), coffee cans, and I've never had any trouble at all.
I don't toss the the containers around and I keep them closed. Never gave it much thought.

Joe

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I generally don't buy primed brass, but on the few occasions I have, it's been delivered bulk packed in a plastic bag inside a simple cardboard box. It can be shipped w/o the haz-mat fee normally required for primer shipping, too.

So, I have no qualms about keeping brass I've primed myself in baggies inside cardboard boxes. If the shippers aren't worried that a little jostling will cause problems, I think normal storage around the house should be fine.

Like Joe, I don't toss the boxes around. Just in case...

Rick C

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
I have stored in in all types of containers without trouble. Think about it. You would have to hit the primer hard(and pretty square) to make it go off AND even if it did what would happen? One little pop. I doubt it would even cause any others to go off. It will not be any explosin(sp). Heck I have stored loaded ammo loose as have many others. You can buy loose loaded ammo(ie bulk packs of 22RF as well as centerfire) which would have more of an effect if it went off. Do not worry about storing primed brass. Lately I have been storing mine in the covered plastic tubs so I can see what I have easier and they stack nicely. I just write what each is on the end with a felt marker. I tend to prep in batches and hand prime while watching TV so I have alot of primed brass ready to load. Both new and resized fired brass.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. I'm still waiting on my primers and powder. But after reading in a few books it spoke of how dangerous the primers where. I remebered seeing a few folks either on here or on Marlin forums that would prime a bunch of brass and load later. It really made sense to me to do that, but I was concerned if there was a safety issue if I did. Thanks for helping a new guy out.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Kyhunt":2v1wfvub said:
But after reading in a few books it spoke of how dangerous the primers where.

Hi,

It's true, LOOSE primers CAN be dangerous, if mishandled. Which means they get dropped, smashed, beaten on and such. In other words, some kind of impact occurs.

I've loaded somewhere around 250k rounds in my life. To a new guy, that might sound like a lot. To a lot of the guys here, though, that probably sounds like I'm some kind of a slacker! The numbers tend to add up over the years (I've been "learning" this game for over 40 so far...), so it's probably representative of what a lot of folks have done.

Anyway, in that time, I've had exactly TWO primers detonate during the loading process. BOTH occurred while loading .38 Spl w/ one of the original style Lee Loaders, the one you smack w/ a hammer! Loop back to my first comment on impact! ;) I'm not sure if it's a right of passage w/ that tool, but you'll find others here who've done the same.

I also knew a fellow who set off some shotshell primers once--dunno the specifics other than that he was using a tube primer feeder on a progressive loader, which some people worry about, though most don't. I suspect he became distracted somehow--that's almost a guarantee that something bad will happen!

So, all in all, if you use some care--AND your safety glasses!--primers are probably safer to handle than lighting a charcoal fire for the BBQ...

Rick C

Rainman

Blackhawk
I spearate my brass by brand in 3" X 5" and 4" X 6" zip-loc bags (from Hobby Lobby)after tumbling, sizing and priming. Pistol goes 50 to a bag and rifle 20. I have quite a few clear plastic gallon jars with large screw tops than holds the bags- one jar for each caliber.

Easy to inventory your brass. Keeps the brass shiny & clean plus the primers are not subjected to humidity changes when stored in my garage shop.

Dan

I will clean and size then prime brass ahead of time. Usually store in ziplock bags or back in the plastic ammo boxes, case head up. Never had a problem with this practice. I don't throw them loose into an old coffee can, want them to stay clean and unsullied as possible.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I have a bunch of heavy duty zip-top bags from Grainger's that I use for everything. They're thick enough that the case necks won't tear through, and they have about a million different sizes to choose from. They're cheap, too.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I have a box of primed .45 Colt that originally came from Dillon (I got it at least 3rd hand) that has the brass loose in a cardboard box. I don't think there's an issue in the storage method, per se.

Handling loose primers might be somewhat unhealthy, too. At least in years past when (more) mercury compounds were used. I understand these are mostly gone from primers today, anyway.

-- Sam

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the imput. I havent been on here much lately. Computer been acting up.

JM

Bearcat
I always store in a ziplock, in a box.

This weekend I was digging through stuff from my dad, and found a couple plastic ammo boxes that with .308W cases, primed in 1989. Loaded 40 and all fired, as expected, but still nice.

Jim

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
contender":2h03xexb said:
Another method of storage is in those nice military ammo cans that seal tightly.

Yep, just bought a SAW can for $10 at the Orlando gunshow last weekend.
Sonnytoo