How to spot a real 1911 shooter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

aciera

Bearcat
Gunny, your hand looks remarkably like mine. :oops:

I've only ever had one 1911 bite me like that--a 1966 Commander that I rebuilt from junk. Which reminds me, I have a 1911A1 grip safety that needs to be installed on it--I should get that done soon. I have standard 1911A1 grip safeties on all my other 1911s and they're no problem at all. No "beavertails" for me--I consider them ugly.

Now the Walther PPK is another story. That one WILL bite with slide rails if you're not careful. :eek::mad:
And the AMT 380
A friends.

rjfirefly

Bearcat
A "real 1911 shooter?" Or a real throwback? Anybody who is a real 1911 shooter, e.g. Bill Wilson or Ken Hackathorne knows that's why you only buy 1911s with extended beavertails and upgraded sights and all the modern improvements that turned a GI issue clunker into a pistol with practical efficacy. Soime people never learn. Fortunately for people like Gaston Glock some people do learn. One day Gaston might learn even more and put metal sights on his "perfect" pistols.

sceva

Single-Sixer
Yes they do !! My Grandfather gave me a 97 12ga when I turned 16. It was his Dads. Very first time I shot it I got bit. LOL Happened a few other times too. Slow learner I guess ? Still have that gun. Just don't shoot it. Things have gotten real loose on it.

My 97 never bit me; neither did my .45 auto. Guess I'm lucky.

Apollyon

Bearcat
Yesterday was shootin' day. This morning is cleaning day. I even remembered to wipe the blood off. Recognize this? It's the 1911 tattoo ( bestowed by the original 1911 design). If you don't have one you ain't a real 1911 shooter. ;) :devilish:

DTPCUj2.jpg
Lol, your just not bright enough to replace the beaver tail.

Attachments

• 3ABD3D0C-E78A-42E5-82FC-C760C3D84414.jpeg
    3ABD3D0C-E78A-42E5-82FC-C760C3D84414.jpeg
    576.2 KB · Views: 30
For at least one comment I can only say - WOW! I wonder if people realize how well the, as designed, 1911 served our military through more than a few wars and conflicts around the world. Then think about when the extended beavertail came into vogue - a bit after the big wars I am thinking and did the military jump up and say "Colt, et al, redesign/fix the grip safety". Nope. Our GI's, in my opinon, were quite happy with how well it served them.

hittman

Staff member
Many, many people never put forth the effort to learn how to shoot their guns.

They simply “modify” for convenience or other only-God-knows-why reason.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Many, many people never put forth the effort to learn how to shoot their guns.

They simply “modify” for convenience or other only-God-knows-why reason.
Probably just as many DON'T modify their guns, when doing so would make them so much easier to use/shoot. Just sayin'. ;)

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
I just got to thinking. Generally folks are bigger and fatter than those during WWI & WWII. Even Korea. Maybe it isn’t the 1911 or 1911A1 but fat handed people that causes bites.

KIR

Blackhawk
Only carried a 1911 and an M2 Carbine for three years, but never had it bite me.
My BHP did not really bite, but just handling it would irritate the web of my hand, so I got a new sear and a Skeletonized hammer. No problems thereafter.

Attachments

• BHP Grips.JPG
    BHP Grips.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

Hvymax

Blackhawk
Yesterday was shootin' day. This morning is cleaning day. I even remembered to wipe the blood off. Recognize this? It's the 1911 tattoo ( bestowed by the original 1911 design). If you don't have one you ain't a real 1911 shooter. ;) :devilish:

DTPCUj2.jpg
Is that a faint M1 thumb as well???

Latest posts