How to replace firing pin rebound spring in a Ruger Mark 1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jazzpicker

Bearcat
After having some light primer strikes and a few FTFs in a 30 year old but newly purchased Mark 1 Pistol. I was advised to throughly clean the pistol, especially the bolt and firing pin to try to resolve the problem.

I disasembled the pistol took out the filthy bolt for cleaning. I drifted the the bolt stop pin removed the firing pin. In front of the FP in a groove embedded in grease was a spring, (I think the firing pin rebound spring). I removed the spring but was unable to tell it's exact position in the bolt because of the grease.

The spring has a small and a large end and a flat curved piece of metal inserted in the large end of the tiny spring. I cleaned all and inserted the spring ahead of the firing pin in the groove with the metal end forward (toward the muzzle) with the curve up then I replaced the firing pin and stop pin.

THe thing that worries me is that I can't detect any rebound when the FP is moved. Is there anybody that can understand this poor description of my reassembly of the bolt and give me advice for reassembly of the bolt and spring?
Thanks

tommyt

Bearcat
Have you looked at Ruger s's web page they have a full line of Videos
for disassemble and re-assemble
I say it cause it helped me through a Mess :?
Tommyt

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, the recoil spring has a pressed together 1/2 moon piece that is rivited together. It fits in the top of the bolt. But, I know that's not the spring issue you are looking at.
Next,, you have drifted out the firing pin retaining pin, from the side. At that point,, you should be able to lift out the firing pin from the top of the bolt. Down in that recess of the bolt, is the small rebound spring & humped flat piece you are talking about. You have it in the correct position as far as having the hump up,, and the metal end towards the front of the bolt. What I have found to do to get it in place correctly I do the following. After everything is clean,, I place the metal end down in the recess, leaving the spring pointed up & out of the bolt. I then take the firing pin, & place the notch on the underside against the spring and push it slightly forward & down into the firing pin groove. I hold all this in place, sliding a guide pin through the hole,, then I replace the factory cross pin. I'm done.

armabill

Bearcat
Wouldn't light primer strikes indicate the problem with the hammer spring which drives the hammer into the bolt ?

I had the same problem and replaced the hammer spring.

Does the firing pin stay retracted into the face of the bolt or stick out of it?

If you push the firing pin out the front of the bolt, does it retract when you let go of it?

I ask this just to be sure we're all on the same page.

The little metal tab serves as the anchor for the spring and the spring itself pushes against front edge of the little protrusion on the bottom of the firing pin.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
jazzpicker, You have the "hump" on the firing pin rebound support piece in the "wrong" position! It should face "downward" in the bolt (towards the bottom) into it's groove. Every coil spring in order to "work" properly must have "one" end that is "fixed" (solid) so that the spring can work as a "spring" and compress "properly". That's why you don't detect any retraction in the firing pin. Put it in properly and your problem is solved!.....................Dick :wink:

jazzpicker

Bearcat
Pinecone":1zapr09b said:
jazzpicker, You have the "hump" on the firing pin rebound support piece in the "wrong" position! It should face "downward" in the bolt (towards the bottom) into it's groove. Every coil spring in order to "work" properly must have "one" end that is "fixed" (solid) so that the spring can work as a "spring" and compress "properly". That's why you don't detect any retraction in the firing pin. Put it in properly and your problem is solved!.....................Dick :wink:

Bingo!! You are exactly right, the hump faces downward. I reinstalled the spring correctly after cleaning the bolt and all seems to work and there is tension on the firing pin now.. I have a new firing pin ordered (maybe it's time to change since this is a 30 year old pistol) and will replace the old FP when it arrives.

I really think the problem was caused by a filthy bolt but since it's easy to do I'll install a new firing pin.

Thanks for the help!

contender

Ruger Guru
Now that's interesting. I went & disassembled a MKI we have to see about the hump because the Gun Digest book shows a pic of it with the hump up. When I disassembled my MKI,, the hump was up,, and I re-installed it the way I described above.
Interesting!
Glad you got it fixed!