How to modify white plastic grips on new model flat tops!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
Just wondering if anyone modified the white plastic grips on new model flat tops Vaqueros or any other new model to make them look better than that plastic White. Maybe like stag or something different that looks better? George

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Manufacturers spent years trying to imitate stag grips and they look like imitation stag grips. I try everything once except that. They're too cheap to spend the time. The "something different" I've found is to checker them. But they can be found already checkered as well.

Or this simple scrimshaw:

orig.jpg

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
When I was a little lad I had a cap gun with plain white plastic grips. I used a pocket knife to carve out some grooves in the plastic, then filled in those grooves with walnut colored Plastic Wood. When it dried I sort of smoothed it down a little, but left them rough enough to look like stag. At least in my young eyes, anyway.

Bob Wright

I think someone here said to rough them up with say a scotch brite pad and stain them with coffee. It would give them an aged look.

I have a set of those grips too, and have wondered the same thing. They fit nice, but just don't have any character.

LAH

Buckeye
Bob Wright said:
When I was a little lad I had a cap gun with plain white plastic grips. I used a pocket knife to carve out some grooves in the plastic, then filled in those grooves with walnut colored Plastic Wood. When it dried I sort of smoothed it down a little, but left them rough enough to look like stag. At least in my young eyes, anyway.

Bob Wright

Bob has been a single action guy from an early age.