How to Know if You Are OLD.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
I hear ya Colonialgirl. Some hunting buddies along with co-workers are gone now. Some did not make it out of their 50s. Usually out huntin myself now. Glad to be here for sure but miss old companions. Concerning prices they did not increase 5 times over in the 60s or 70s. One of my more cherished possessions from the 60s is the Puma Skinner I still own. Paid $25 new back in 1967. Probably a chunk of cash back then but amazed how much a vintage one can sell for these days online.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Getting old sucks. Friends are fading out, as have all the pets. Don't want to get another dog or cat because then one of the family will have to take care of it when I'm gone. Most of the photos in the albums have people that aren't here anymore.
And getting old is the aches and pains just to get out of bed in the morning, and your body not agreeing with the activity your brain tells you should do.🤯
I agree. When I moved to Idaho from Alaska I met a guy. He said he wasn't sure how long he would be around because he had cancer. Well he was around for almost 9 years, and after he passed about 2 months later his wife passed, both from cancer. We are pretty close, went out to eat once or twice a month and pick up the conversation that we left off when we got back together.
A friend who encouraged me to move here, has now moved to Montana to be closer to his family and the grandbaby. I think they are right. It's time to go back "home" to spend time with family.

I plan to finish up the plans I laid out for my wife, should I pass before her, so she would be ok financially. I shared the plan with a friend and he didn't believe either my wife or my son could carry it off. So I'm going to go back and put it together. I challenge any man who hasn't put the plan in writing what his wife needs to do if he passes first, so she can get by financially isn't doing his job.
1. Understand inflation will continue till you die.
2. The longer you live, the more you will spend.
3. Taxes will continue to go up,
4. The end result is if she lives another 10 years or more she will need more to get by then than she does today. What's the plan? My wife doesn't like to talk about it that's why I wrote it down on paper. Some wives just don't want to deal with that (inevitable possibility).

vito

Hunter
Taking a lot longer to recover from would have been a nothing injury in the past. A month ago at the beach picnic the day following my son’s second wedding, the chair tipped over backwards, slamming my back into the sand. The pain was overwhelming at first but the bruising of my ribs and back are still not recovered yet. Getting out of bed, or even turning over in bed really hurts. I was living on Tylenol daily until this week. Had this happened when I was younger I would have been fine the next morning. Makes me a bit leery of even attempting something very physical.

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
Life span? I’ve been on borrowed time since December 11th 1971. Had a few close calls since. But, there is no way, but for the will of God I survived that day
Somehow I have a feeling you were in Viet Nam that day?
Don't think I've reached old, yet. But I've started looking at the days as another day on the sunny side of the grass.

bowzette

Bearcat
Due to my health issues we moved from Texas to Florida to be near our son. Bought a house and had to have a palm tree or two. We didn't want a palm that would grow to be tall. When we inquired as to how fast and tall a specific tree would grow, the young salesman looked at us and said "not to worry about it". After reflecting upon his comment I realized he was correct :) . Frankly the speed at which this county is being destroyed by the woke left, swamp politicians of both parties, an education system and press that would make Lenin proud, nearing the "finish line" (nothing terminal that I know of but the wheels are starting to fall off) may be a blessing. I have real concerns as to this country for my 18 year old granddaughter. She will never know the America we've know.

BarkeyVA

Bearcat
I was 12 before we got a TV. I was 14 before we moved to a house that had running water and indoor plumbing. It seems I've been an adult for much longer than my calendar age indicates. I'm finding it difficult to 'be old'. I keep trying to do all the things my mind says I should do.
I was 6 before our house was wired for electricity, 10 when we got a TV and 19 and in college when we moved to a house with running water. However, at 79 I am starting first baseman on a senior softball team playing in a league with guys in their 50's. 60's, 70's and one player who just turned 80.

My dad, who was 90 when I turned 65, told his friends that he knew he was getting old when he realized he had a kid who was now on Social Security. Dad stopped farming at 74 and passed away a month shy of his 96th birthday. He died in the same house in which he was born.

Taking a lot longer to recover from would have been a nothing injury in the past. A month ago at the beach picnic the day following my son’s second wedding, the chair tipped over backwards, slamming my back into the sand. The pain was overwhelming at first but the bruising of my ribs and back are still not recovered yet. Getting out of bed, or even turning over in bed really hurts. I was living on Tylenol daily until this week. Had this happened when I was younger I would have been fine the next morning. Makes me a bit leery of even attempting something very physical.
Maybe you cracked one?

Latest posts