How to hold Blackhawk...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I have Blackhawks in .357 and .41. With full power loads they bang my knuckles. I have several sets of Herretts grips that hold the finger below the trigger guard and that works. But I really like the appearance and feel of the standard grip panels. So my question is how to hold them? Fairly long fingers, sorta boney hand, large knuckles. The knuckle is pointed directly towards the trigger guard with my most comfortable grip. It looks like I need a swell or something on the palm side to move the finger that way? Ann suggestions would be appreciated. I thought my oversized Texas Grips were the thing. Until I bought some full power .357 at the range. Sorta of a surprise over the butterfly loads I have been shooting.

contender

Ruger Guru
As an instructor,, I always tell students to find a gun you like and grips that fit YOUR hands.
That's one of the first steps.
Each person has a slightly different hand shape,, that can make it easy or hard to shoot something comfortably. What works for one person, may be totally wrong for another.
With Ruger's different grip frames,, XR3, XR3-RED, Dragoon, & Bisley, you have different shapes to deal with.

Then you throw in how to properly hold & shoot a handgun.
Some try holding too loosely,, and the gun can actually come out of the hands, or so tightly,, they hurt their hands, arms & knuckles. Some grip too high, some too low. Some try one hand,, & other two hands. Some place their thumbs in different places than others.

A firm grip, not overly forceful,, along with a grip design AND fitting grips makes all the difference in the world. And grips with a palm swell can make a difference too.

I'd suggest you try & find an instructor well versed in shooting SA handguns,, who has several options to let you try would be the best way to learn what will work for you.
If you are ever planning a visit to WNC,, I can offer my assistance.

BamaGreg

Bearcat
With the standard xr3-red grip I find it best to let my pinkie finger wrap beneath the grip. This gives the other 3 fingers more room and allows the middle knuckle to ride a little lower and further from the trigger guard. I have large hands (size 12 gloves) and never get hit with the trigger guard even with heavy loads

Johnnu2

Hunter
I've found three things helpful (none of which I would guess you would want):

1) Because of my age, I stopped shooting hot loads ( I know that's not reasonable for those who hunt etc.).
2) I used to use a Past Shooting glove that had protection everywhere including the top of that finger.
3) I've found that changing over to a Bisley grip frame has REALLY helped tame recoil of all magnitude. Yes, I know that changing to a such a frame configuration is aesthetically impossible for many.
Otherwise, it's always been a dilemma for me.

IMHO,
J.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Yes , with large hands , I wrap pinkie finger underneath with XR-3 ( or SAA clones) .

Experement with how tightly you squeeze the firing hand . This also can effect vertical POI .

To oversimplify , Bisley is more comfortable for extreme recoil , XR-3 ( or SAA clone) is more natural pointing , and acceptable up to medium to medium- heavy recoil . The crossover point is subjective . * For Me * 250 approaching 1100 ( or my usual .41 load) is still good to go with XR-3 , YMMV .
But of course , it's all depending upon the exact size and shape of your hands and fingers .

Worst case for OP is to decide his priorities between looks and comfort with heavy loads . Or swap grips between carrying/ moderate vs heavy loads .

It wasn't directly brought up in the thread , but the squareback SBH grips are pure torture with any but mild loads slamming directly on knuckle .

contender

Ruger Guru
"It wasn't directly brought up in the thread , but the squareback SBH grips are pure torture with any but mild loads slamming directly on knuckle ."

Actually,, due to different hand sizes,, that's not always true.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Cool ! But it is a fairly common problem , from comments over the years , I'd say maybe 1/3 of shooters have that problem .

contender

Ruger Guru
True,, I too have heard many negative comments about the Dragoon g/f. SOMETIMES,, I've had the very same people get proper instruction in how to hold it & turns out,, they no longer have that problem.

The long rider

Bearcat
"It wasn't directly brought up in the thread , but the squareback SBH grips are pure torture with any but mild loads slamming directly on knuckle ."

Actually,, due to different hand sizes,, that's not always true.
I love the look of the square back grip frame and never had any problems until I got older and started getting arthritis in my knuckle's, now that square back guard is the most painful to use.

Simmonsburg

Single-Sixer
They are a little sensitive to how they're held. The unported 44 BH can kick much worse than ported magnums in bigger calibers.

The biggest thing is the trigger guard slapping your knuckle on your right hand.

Sometimes if you cup your left hand under the butt of the grip frame the corner will smack your left hand under recoil. Believe it or not it can actually make a red mark. Only if you have your hand in just the right place though. It happened to me twice, changed the hand position a little and it went away.

Also don't hold it too close to you, do a full arm's length hold if you can.

Arms too loose & held too close to your face (bent arms) can slap you real good. In the forehead. No joke. Now you might laugh but a lot of people hold with their arms bent and the revolver rather close to their face. I don't know what the stance is called but it works fine with a .22, not so good with a .44.

One trick I use is, keep a firm hand grip without making your arms too stiff. Hold them out at full length but do not try to lock them. The firm grip is important but the relaxed arms let it ride up so it doesn't whip you. Like the others said, work up with light loads until you master the recoil at each level.

contender

Ruger Guru
"Sometimes if you cup your left hand under the butt of the grip frame"

This is not a good way to properly grip a SA handgun. We call that the "cup & saucer" type of grip. Not good for proper handgunning.

SA's are unique in there own right when shooting. I've been shooting a SBH since 1981 (my personal SBH since '85). For me, I let it rest in my hand with a firm but not tight grip. It does has some kick, but with my wrist pivoting upwards on the start of the recoil, before my forearm arm, I don't really feel the "wicked" recoil that some folks talk about. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

It's a natural pointer and I took to it right away. Same goes with my other longer barrel Blackhawks.

Zeke38

Bearcat
My favorite is the Bisley, but I only own one Ruger SA at the moment and it is a standard plowhandle NM. It raps my knuckle pretty good with medium loads. I would like to try the NM Hunter grip. That looks very doable. For heavy loads in heavy calibers (44s,45s) I use a Smith and Wesson.

Attachments

• DSCF0441.JPG
    DSCF0441.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 111

andyk

Bearcat
I was taught to hold a revolver the opposite of a semi auto. Instead oh as high as possible. The revolver should be held lower on the grips. Works for me.

JackBull

Blackhawk
I hate, HATE, recoil but love shooting my BH 45 Colt with Ruger Only loads. I allow the gun to roll in my hand, so a less energy reaches my hand.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Success. Thanks to Contender and all who commented. I read all these posts and went shooting today. I made what seems like a very minor shift in my grip. Lower and more turned to the left. The problem went completely away. Shot 10 factory loads in 2 groups and got pretty good groups (for me) and absolutely no knuckle contact. I am happy because I like the looks and feel of the grips I have on the gun now. Texas Grips extended. More traditional than the Herrett's I have been shooting. I shoot mostly light loads of coated bullets but try to be sure to shoot 5 or 10 full loads each time to stay in touch with what they are like.,

Last edited: