How to do a quick clean on a 22/45?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dennis

Single-Sixer
Hello again, it's me, Mr. New Guy to shooting.

What is the best way to do a quick clean of my 22/45 slab-sided pistol? Do I spray some of this Break-Free down the barrel and then run a bore snake through or do I do something else?

Thanks.

You can do that if you want but understand with a 22 the barrel usually doesn't get that dirty, it's the bolt and workings behind the barrel that gum up... with that said... a quick cleaning is to just spray the bolt with a bunch of break free and work it back and forth... works for me and my Mk III

Dennis

Single-Sixer
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I know it's kind of like asking a car mechanic how to change engine oil, but if one doesn't know then one just doesn't know. I like my 22/45 and I would like to keep it in good order. So thanks for helping me out with a very basic task.

Dennis

depending on the 'mood' ( and time) I will either spray it down with ANY spray oil ,cleaner, whatever is handy and then blow it out with an air hose,,,,,THEN swab the bore, and finally spray it down inside and out with ANY spray oil ( yes even WD_40, we have it in the pump spray bottle) and again, blow it out with an air hose....takes a couple of minutes, TOPS.....wipe it down with our 'RIG" rag and put 'er away.........maybe once a year take the upper reciever off ( field strip) do the same thing as above as this cleans out the innards , especially around the trigger assembly, up front and out of the way)but for the rest of time as said above, the bolt face and chamber area are the two areas to clean more often as well as the extractor slot area...does NOT take much ,nor long to do the job.......

revhigh

Hawkeye
I just spray it out with gunscrubber and dip it in mobil one. At least every 5 years ... whether it needs it or not ....

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
SteveSatch":26h2h1e8 said:
Anything that involves putting it back together won't be quick : )

LOL ... see post directly above yours !! LOL.

REV