How to convert Red Label ejectors to extractors

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wgsparkie

Bearcat
I'm not a hunter, I'm a target guy. I just bought a very nice 1990 vintage 12 ga Red Label an the ejectors are driving me crazy on the skeet field. Anyone know the easiest way to convert the ejectors to extractors? Like to avoid engaging a gunsmith if possible. This can't be a question that has never been asked before so I apologize for not being able to find an answer to this in the form. Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

eveled

Hawkeye
It's been a long time, but I remember reading in the manual, when I got mine, around the same time, that Ruger would do it if you wanted them too. For free. I'd call them to see if they will still do it. I remember thinking about having mine done, but never did. I got used to holding my hand over the shells to stop them from launching.

I shot a deer with mine, with a 3inch magnum 1.25 oz slug.

When I got mine, it was the only American made O/U shotgun, on the market. The list was around $1100, and I ordered it for $850 from my LGS. Was more than my jeep was worth at the time, mine has 26in barrels.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I used to shoot skeet with a Browning Citori that had automatic ejectors. I just got in the habit of placing my thumb over the breach as I opened the action after firing. That kept the shells captive and I just removed them by hand afterward. After a few shots, it became a routine and I never had fired shells hit the ground.

Wgsparkie

Bearcat
eveled said:
It's been a long time, but I remember reading in the manual, when I got mine, around the same time, that Ruger would do it if you wanted them too. For free. I'd call them to see if they will still do it. I remember thinking about having mine done, but never did. I got used to holding my hand over the shells to stop them from launching.

I shot a deer with mine, with a 3inch magnum 1.25 oz slug.

When I got mine, it was the only American made O/U shotgun, on the market. The list was around $1100, and I ordered it for $850 from my LGS. Was more than my jeep was worth at the time, mine has 26in barrels.

Thanks for the come-back, Hunter. Mine have the 26 in barrels as well. I like the gun a lot I bought it for $400a and it hasn't got a scratch on it. I'm getting used to keeping my hand over the breach but I'm primarily a trap shoot and use a BT-99 with extractors and switching back and forth is a bit of a pain. I've heard modifying the spring can be successful. Lighter springs are supposed pop the shells up...but not out. Problem is, no one seems to be able to tell me what the spring specs should be make this adjustment. Ever heard of this?

Wgsparkie

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
I used to shoot skeet with a Browning Citori that had automatic ejectors. I just got in the habit of placing my thumb over the breach as I opened the action after firing. That kept the shells captive and I just removed them by hand afterward. After a few shots, it became a routine and I never had fired shells hit the ground.

I'm doing the same thing and it is getting routine....just annoying. :?

J.Johnson

Single-Sixer
When I shot trap in junior high and high school, you were real cool if you could shoot that empty up into the stratosphere and snatch it out of the air! In reality, you only did that when you shot a 50 straight and wanted to add a touch of wow. I shot an auto, but the guys I knew with ejectors did the thumb trick, but none of them had Red Labels, though a few wanted them real bad! Me.....I wanted a Gold Label! Still do but they are getting darn expensive.

eveled

Hawkeye
Wgsparkie said:
I've heard modifying the spring can be successful. Lighter springs are supposed pop the shells up...but not out. Problem is, no one seems to be able to tell me what the spring specs should be make this adjustment. Ever heard of this?

Did you call Ruger? $400 was a great deal. I'd buy every one I saw for $400. Ed.