How to clean powder marks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

raperron

Bearcat
Any suggestions(from experience) on how to clean powder marks on the outside of the cylinder on silver Ruger 44 mag and S & W 686 357 ? I've tried a couple of products without much success.

Thanks,

Ray
:roll: :oops:

jforwel

Bearcat
Since you have stainless guns use the lead wipe away cloth. It'll clean up real nice. Do not use on blued guns as it will remove the bluing.

raperron

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply. I went back to the earlier post and found what I needed. One of the last posts recommended Brasso. So, for 3 bucks , I tried it. It is perfect, removed the powder marks like a charm. very little rubbing and it wipes off easy and clean. Those old timers had the answers long before we got all this new stuff.

Thanks
Ray

MagnumM56

Bearcat
Your best bet is JB Bore cleaner-it is a paste and is only mildly abraisive-take a dab of the paste onto a patch and spread it then you can wipe off the cylinder face-doesn't take off the bluing on the blued or the nickel off of the plated revolvers-it comes in a small white plastic jar and lasts forever-you do have to get it off with solvent after you clean but it does wonders at taking off the powder burns