How rich is "rich"? (financially) MERGED THREADS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bobski

Hunter
rich is....having all your $$ bases covered in the event of a disaster or loss, allowing a current lifestyle to continue on as if nothing happened.

rich is....being able to give it all away and have it not hurt emotionally; or, have it stolen and not notice its missing.

harley08

Bearcat
I read an interesting article recently about being rich. The author stated that he realizes that by normal standards he is rich, maybe very rich. He owns two homes, several cars, put his kids through college without loans or scholarships, takes a couple of nice vacations with his wife each year, but he found himself wishing he were rich. He played golf with a few long time friends, two of whom drove super cars (one a Lamboghini and other I can't recall), and both have three or more homes. But at some point he stopped feeling sorry for himself and is grateful that he is as rich as he is, and that in truth he was rich well before he achieved his current status. He regretted the foolish envy and stress that he put himself under, and recognized that even if were as rich as his two buddies, there would always be someone much, much richer. He said he was trying his best to truly feel grateful, and to find ways to help others far less fortunate than himself, and that this was making him feel better about himself than he had felt in years.

So I found myself thinking about how rich, or not, that I am. I still have a bit of mortgage on my home, but I do own three cars outright, plus some other toys like a motorcycle, a scooter among them. And I don't fret about paying my bills. Sure, I wish sometimes that I didn't have so many to pay, but I never have to put aside a bill so as to pay another. I feel blessed in many ways, with a wonderful wife now of 55 years, relatively good health, and grown kids and grandkids that are all doing at least OK in their lives. But strictly from a financial point of view I have to think of myself now as actually rich. I may hesitate on buying that filet mignon at $25 a pound, but I routinely buy the ribeyes at $16 a pound. I rarely deny myself most things that I want, even if my wants are pretty ordinary. I've been thinking about buying a Henry lever action that I have no need for, but I still want it. I think about it because it is still money spent frivolously, but I can do it if I really want to do it.

When I was younger I worried a lot about how I would manage once my paycheck stopped. But now I'm here, and I've been fully retired for 8 and a half years, and I am managing just fine. So I guess rich is whatever makes you feel rich. If I was dying for a Lamboghini, or even a Porsche I guess I would feel that I failed, but right now I feel pretty good about where I have ended up.
Your alive, your doing OK. You are rich! Live for today, make today feel as if it is your last day! Enjoy what you have, spend time with the wife and your kids. Who the F cares what others have, I bet they are not as happy as you are. If your kid ever need something.. help them. Live for today, tomorrow may never come!
Rocko Rizzo

GypsmJim

Bearcat
If you're on welfare, a rich person is one that has a job.

If you live in an apartment, a rich person is one that owns a house.

If you have an old car, a rich person is one that has a new car.

If you own a boat (even an old rotten one) you are looked down upon by many because you are rich.

In other words, rich is anyone "richer" than you.

If you are self-made, own a business, are a doctor or other professional, you most likely earned your riches and thus deserve it.

If you are a football player or actor, and thus are very rich, and you only "play" once in awhile, you probably don't deserve it because unlike the businessman or doctor you provide no "real" value to society other than entertainment.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

The TV show I picked this up from escapes me right now, but two of the main characters were talking about the difference between rich and wealthy. One of them offered that "Rch people receive big paychecks. Wealthy people sign those checks."

Hmmm...

Rick C

Mag-force

Single-Sixer
I feel like i'm the riches man in the world. I have a beautiful wife 3 great kids we are all healthy
and the most important is we are all Christians! What else could a man as for.

173rdLRRP

Single-Sixer
Hi,

The TV show I picked this up from escapes me right now, but two of the main characters were talking about the difference between rich and wealthy. One of them offered that "Rch people receive big paychecks. Wealthy people sign those checks."

Hmmm...

Rick C
The truly wealthy dedicate the buildings. The check signers work for them

Simmonsburg

Single-Sixer
Kids college funds on check
House on check
A few cars for the family on check
Vacation twice a year on check
Some money to play around with on check.
You are rich.

Latest posts