how rare us a ruger 77 mark II in 7 mm Remington saum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I didn't even think ruger chambered a Remington 7 mm saum in the ruger 77 its stainless .There is no brass or ammo for this caliber which sucks but this has to be a rare gun !

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
If I remember , they were made for a couple or a few years. I wouldn't call them rare but scarce might be a better word. If I found one for the right price Id think about one but like you said , brass will be hard to find and that alone to me makes it worth less vs a premium.

chet15

Hawkeye
The saum calibers weren't made by Ruger for very long at all before being replaced by the WSM calibers.
You are right...today it could probably be called pretty scarce. But the ammo situation probably really hampers its collectibility.
Chet15

rangerbob

Buckeye
To add to what Chet stated. The 300 WSM appeared before the Short Ultra's, the 270WSM and 7mm WSM, about the same time. I think Ruger chambered them all briefly to cover all of the bases and to offer the buyer which ever cartridge they desired. In the end, they dropped them all due to the Jamison lawsuit on the WSM's and lack of sales on the RSUM's. Then they partnered up with Hornady and brought out their 300 and 338 RCM's to again offer the customer something original(sorta). Bob!! :)

chet15

Hawkeye
rugerjunkie said:
Dont forget about the 12 or so elusive 325 WSM's that are out there...

Yes, there were around 100 of the stainless Zytel in .325 WSM and 10 or less of the stainless/laminate frontier model in .325 WSM. These were made just before the decision by the Ruger company to dump all the WSM calibers because of the Jamison lawsuit.
Chet15

rangerbob

Buckeye
That's good to know about the 325's as I was unaware. Since I like 325's, I'd like to run across one of those. Mr. Jamison sure killed off a good line of cartridges and their development. The 7mm and the 325 are my favorites. Bob!! :(

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Have to ask about the Jamison lawsuit, anyone able to provide a link that details the happenings?

rangerbob

Buckeye
Rocdoc, I'll attempt to give a short reply. Jamison had been promoting a short action series of cartridges he came up with for commercial purposes. Winchester introduced the 300WSM, and then the 270 and 7mm WSM's the next year, and then the 325WSM a couple of years later. By then Jamison brought suit against Winchester and Browning, claiming they had copied his idea for the rimless short magnum. Apparently, the defendants attorneys were not gun guys, and Jamison won the suit. He now gets a royalty on every one sold by anybody in a WSM caliber. Obviously, Ruger had better lawyers. They ceased production on all of the WSM's and RSUM's and partnered with Hornady to produce their own compact magnums, the 300 and 338. Had Winchester's lawyers researched the situation, they would have discovered a wildcat round of the 50's called the 30 Howell which uses the same short fat case design, a 348 Winchester with the rim turned down, blown out, and necked down to 30 caliber, which is more or less what the 300 WSM is. So any further development of the WSM's was ceased and shelved. I build a 358 & 264 WSM and my smith built a 375 WSM. I even had Hornady make a set of 458/ 325 WSM dies, but no rifle yet. Hope this helps. Bob!! :(

rangerbob

Buckeye
I hope he(Jamison) sits back and collects his royalty checks on a regular basis!! And what's so bad about the whole deal, I used to enjoy reading his articles in ST. Bob :x