How rare is a 9mm, 4" blued Service Six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Terry T

Buckeye
Terry,
VERY NICE! Amazing grips! Did they come with it? Thanks for sharing. Seeing only 2 in a few years of looking does suggest 'rare'.

I would guess that there are more of these out there as they were a 'cataloged' configuration, unlike, say, the GF-92 that has turned up or, say, a GS-94. I'm getting to the point where I think any combination of the model 'numbers' may be out there such as a 'GS-94' I don't know what the minimum order number would have been for Ruger to make up a batch with 'off the shelf' parts.

I keep looking - like finding the GS-84HP configuration that was 'hiding in plain sight' or the GS-83 that I found for a cheap 'shooter' price because it was a bit well used and "only a .38".
Terry T

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Terry T":kia48k4k said:
Terry,
VERY NICE! Amazing grips! Did they come with it? Thanks for sharing. Seeing only 2 in a few years of looking does suggest 'rare'.

I would guess that there are more of these out there as they were a 'cataloged' configuration, unlike, say, the GF-92 that has turned up or, say, a GS-94. I'm getting to the point where I think any combination of the model 'numbers' may be out there such as a 'GS-94' I don't know what the minimum order number would have been for Ruger to make up a batch with 'off the shelf' parts.

I keep looking - like finding the GS-84HP configuration that was 'hiding in plain sight' or the GS-83 that I found for a cheap 'shooter' price because it was a bit well used and "only a .38".
Terry T

T,
The grips are off of a HI/Bk SS-82 Employee gun, I move them around
for pic's. (carefully) :wink:
Its amazing whats out there.
Terry

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Terry T.

Good friend who is a Ruger collector has a line on one, and asked me to help out on some research. I've done some work for him on silhouette guns (small bore and high power) and he's gotten me interested in trying to build up a standard gun based on a 10/22 (a challenge of sorts from him).

He's been a good source relative to Ruger info.

The gun he has a line on appears to be a model SS92? It is a Speed Six with a serial number of 153-XXXX. he is attempting to contact Ruger and get a letter on it to validate what the seller is claiming. It is marked 9mm Parabellum, just like the gun pictured. The barrel length appears to be just under 2.75" measured from the face of the forcing cone to the end of the barrel. The claim is the gun is in new/like new condition, with box, etc.

While this may be common on Rugers, I haven't seen it on any new gus I have. Above the Sturn Ruger Southport address on the barrel there is a mark in a circle, it is a backwards capital "R" and the leg of the "R" is shared by a capital "P" facing in a normal direction. Not certain if this means anything or not.

Terry T

Buckeye
"Steelshooter",
Most 9mm Speed Sixes use half or full moon clips. Only a few very early ones used the Pilorget "music wire" extractor that "WeaselMeat" showed in his photo.

The question is "does this gun, that your friend has a line on, have the Pilorget extractor or not?"

A nice clean, blued, 2 3/4" 9mm Speed Six, that uses half moon clips, is going for $600 - $800 these days.

Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
Oh My!! :shock:

VERY RARE, INDEED! :shock:

Not too sure Ruger Records will show the 'music wire' extractor in their records. PLEASE let us know if they do.

My, My My! :D
(Serious case of "the wants" at this end! :oops: )

Terry T

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Friend has stated he will definitely buy, provided sellers comments prove valid, he has purchased from this seller before, so he is pretty confident in what he is being told.

Ideally he wants Ruger letter, which will result in definite purchase, if no letter forthcoming, he will view and evaluate the gun on its own merit. His intent is to buy it and add it to his collection.

Has committed to allow me to photo and post, pending his purchase. Will keep advised, likely take a week or so before concluded.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Terry T":1fa5733t said:
I'm surprised that 'Weaselmeatgravy's' is an early, low back, frame. These were announced in the 1975 time frame. Have you been told what the shipping date was? It also supports the notion that Ruger had some early frames laying around after sales stopped.

Oh, did I forget to mention that mine is a Security-Six?

RDA-94

Ship date: January 2009, after cleaning out some old prototypes.

Terry T

Buckeye
"Weaselmeatgravy",
You old dog - "prototype" does sound like the operative word for a Pilorget ejector on a 'low back" frame "shipped" in 2009!

(Bob, By the way, a little 'thankyou' for all your help is on the way. Went out in the mail couple of days ago.) :D
Terry T