how often do you clean your gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
I clean mine every time i shoot( including pulling the striker out( theres always a ton of brass shavings there) and cleaning the mags)
Ive shoot 500 rds at one time, and my gun still worked perfect. i would shot more but ran out of ammo cash lol

just wondering how often you guys clean it..... and how many rounds you shoot between cleanings.
Thanks
-2fast4u

Snake45

Hawkeye
If you're talking about .22s, it depends. I have a couple of .22 auto rifles with tight chambers that want the chambers swabbed out every 400-500 rounds or I'm asking for problems. Come to think of it, my Ruger MKII likes to have its chamber cleaned every so often, too.

On the other hand, my 10/22 and a Ciener-converted 1911 went 8,000 and 5,000 rounds respectively this year with no cleaning or maintenance other than a couple drops of oil on moving parts. I'll yank 'em down some chilly Sunday this winter and scrub 'em out good. :wink:

bullockdgmanor

Bearcat
Every time I shoot my Mark III, which is typically once every three or four weeks (~300 rounds each time), I'll field strip and clean it thoroughly with Hoppe's and give it a light oiling with Weapon Shield.

Lotsa folks on the forum are not so diligent, and seem to have no troubles at all with their Mark-series pistols, though.

Dan

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
Snake45":2pnjs92b said:
On the other hand, my 10/22 and a Ciener-converted 1911 went 8,000 and 5,000 rounds respectively this year with no cleaning or maintenance other than a couple drops of oil on moving parts.
Wow, my Dad was pretty "old school", having been raised in the days of corrosive ammo, and it was drilled into me that we always cleaned every firearm immediately upon return from the range or hunting. I still clean my guns after every use.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I field strip, clean, and lube my pistols after every range session.

My revolvers get the bore and chambers cleaned, and an overall wipedown after trips to the range.

My hunting rifles get a wipedown after every range and/or hunting trip, but don't get the bore cleaned more than a couple of times per year.

Earlier this year, I sold a 10/22 that I bought in the mid-80's and have fired thousands of rounds through. It had NEVER been cleaned in all that time other than a basic wipedown and oiling of the action. It was as accurate as the day I bought it, and had never malfunctioned in any way. Gotta love those 10/22's. :lol:

Xelera

Bearcat
For my plinkers, I clean them every couple of trips to the range, which is still probably more than I need to.

For my defense weapon, it gets cleaned after every trip to the range. I never know when I'm going to get back out to shoot it, or how long it is going to sit, and I want it ready to go if needed, with no questions.

That said, my defense weapon is a ruger P89 and I could probably pick it up after a tank drives over it, finish emptying the magazine on said tank, and then beat the tank into submission with it...

Pate

Bearcat
I try to clean mine after after trip to the range. There's nothing better than a freshly cleaned gun.

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
Xelera":2kfyr039 said:
That said, my defense weapon is a ruger P89 and I could probably pick it up after a tank drives over it, finish emptying the magazine on said tank, and then beat the tank into submission with it...

LOL :lol: :lol:

I, myself, clean my P95 after every trip to the range. I also have a Taurus m92 (9 shot .22 lr revolver) and I only fire CCI Mini Mag's thru that (copper jacketed) which I also clean after every trip to the range....

I didn't think there was any choice in the matter??? Own a gun, shoot it, clean it!

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
Call me obsessive if you like, but if it gets fired at the range, it gets cleaned when it gets home (including my MKIII) with rare exception.

leejack

Single-Sixer
After every range trip here.

I love cleaning the guns. i guess it's the smell of good Ol' #9.

Lee

Mandan

Bearcat
If it is corrosive ammo I clean when I get home. I use Ballistol for this.
If modern non-corrosive I clean within a couple days of shooting it.
My carry gun (a LCR) I clean as soon as I return from shooting.
Don't want extra risk with that one!

I guess I to am old school. I spent 30+ in the military and if you shoot it you clean it...ASAP! A complete range shoot isn't over till everything that was fired is cleaned, oiled, and put away.

Russ7777

Bearcat
I clean my P89 after every shooting session, but then my opinion is there is nothing like the the smell of nitro solvent and hoppes gun oil to get the warm and fuzzies going full blast:)

aWoods

Single-Sixer
I try to clean after every range trip.

I have a savage 62 that may have never been cleaned, and it's starting to jam on me, lol.

I've been using eezox, and I'm starting to buy the hype. My buddy talked to the owner, who said that every time you clean with eezox, it gets better and better - like seasoning a cast iron skillet. I'm starting to notice my guns are getting very easy to clean. The grime seems to just wipe off mostly.

Cheers =)

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I clean my carry gun the P95 every month now that I know how dirty they can be by carrying them whether or not it gets shot or not during the month.

The only problem I had occurred after shooting my P95 after being carried without shooting for 2 months. It failed at 150 rounds.
Which is fine for carry as I doubt anyone will need that many rounds to defend themselves in a typical street fight.

It is more like I just can't stand to think my carry gun could fail.

One should love the piece they carry to protect themselves and family.

imho

tk

Latest posts