how often do you clean your gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
For the most part after every range trip...not necessarily as soon as arriving home. might be a day or two, but will be clean for the next trip.

Home defense firearms are ALWAYS cleaned and ready as soon as returning from the range.

Regards,

MD

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
thanks for the answers!
i thought most people cleaned them pretty often,but i figured id ask. i just picked up a markIII target with the long barrel( brand new), cleaned it, shot 550 rds, then cleaned it again. i think im going to clean it every time i shoot it, its not as bad to do as alot of people say it is.

langenc

Single-Sixer
No need top scrub it. Wet patch and couple drys-then an oily one and 2 or 3 more drys, depending on when it will be shot again. Also steel vs stainless barrel.

I did the above on my target (BR) guns in the last two weeks as we now have foot of snow.. In the next few weeks Ill clean all the handguns. Some havent been shot since summer. ALL will be wiped down w/ Rig rug on the outside and put away with out touching the metal.

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
After every range trip. I wipe the rails with Breakfree CLP before I pull out of the range as my P95 is my carry gun, and the only firearm I own. Field strip and clean when I get home, as well as every other month I don't go to the range. From holster to truck and back again, it can pick up some nasty stuff along the way.

I have a Mark 2 that has been strip cleaned twice. Otherwise every two hundred rounds I swab the bore and chamber. Carry guns if shot are swabed and wiped down. I'd say a lot of guns have been wore out from the cleaning versus the shootin. Just my HO.
gramps

Langenc,
Yep and then with the bolt locked I swab the chamber with a q-tip with whatever solvent I have on hand. Ok maybe it is closer to 500 rounds. Or whenever I have the time.
gramps

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Charger22":3772bkr6 said:
As little as possible.

I'm with you. I used to clean them after every trip.
As I got older, I got lazier too.
Now I quickly swipe the grime off the bolt face and feed ramp and wipe the fingerprints from the outside of the gun. 30 seconds tops.
I can't remember the last time I touched the bore.
They don't need it, so why do it.

Charger22

Bearcat
Thank you. I think after you own an AR long enough you start to understand. These things are designed to handle much more than our typical range trips.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Charger22":2nsh5ixw said:
Thank you. I think after you own an AR long enough you start to understand. These things are meant to handle much more than our typical range trips.
Right.

Things were different in the days of black powder and other corrosive ammo. That was then, this is now. :wink:

Paine

Bearcat
I get my range time paid by the company, and they allow us to go twice a month. Being an army vet I get itchy if I don't clean my pistol when I get home. So the CCW gets it twice a month. The others get a once over every couple months or whenever I just want to handle them.