How much would you tip?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ole442

Single-Sixer
Dayton, Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
Wife and I took my son and his then girlfriend to a Pappadeaux's about 50 miles south of us. A young man was our waiter, and he took the drink/appetizer order and we rec'd them promptly. We had also ordered each of our meal entrees. After a while he brought them to our table on a large tray and sat it on one of those four legged things he had set up a few feet from our table. He moved my son and GF's plates over and as he did, I saw the tray and my wife's and my entrees falling over to the floor. When he took the first two plates, that made the tray off balance, and it crashed to the floor. So fast, I couldn't get words out.....not that he could have made up the ground. The manager came over, apologized and said he'd get the meals re-made STAT! He also comped us all free deserts. I told the waiter that "it happens" and he seemed like a good person but seemed really worried. The other entrees came, and all were good, and we had a great time. When he brought the check, I left a tip big enough to also cover the two free meals, the other two meals and appetizers and what I would have left as a regular tip for the complete meal. If he had to pay for the two free meals, then he still got a decent tip and if he didn't........he made out really, really well.

RevolverDen

Bearcat
I typically give 20% tip, but as soe mentioned, there are a growing amount of establishments that put a tip in as part of the bill, regardless how many in your party. That used to be more common if your dinner group was 8 or more.

After covid, it seems these positions aren't easily filled. I appreciate the work (and sacrifice) waitresses and waiters make as they often work more than one job. Sometimes a bigger tip is justified. Good on you Kevin for leaving the $20.00 tip on a comped meal for that waitress. I am sure she appreciated it and needed some generosity like that.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
My boy was a waiter at Carabaos for a year after finishing college and before he got "his" job as a teacher. I've heard all the stories first hand of reprobate customers. Any more, if the service is good and the waiter/waitress is trying to give their alI, I give 20% +.... just me in these difficult times as I know if one is waitressing they've got a job to do that they're not always in control of. Just me.

txramfan

Single-Sixer
I've always over tipped, unless the waiter/waitress does a bad job . When that happens it's 15% of tab, not including any taxes. I don't recall the last time that happened. I don't recall ever having a meal comped over a food issue, probably happened just not something worth storing in my aging brain.
I have called a tab and learned someone else paid it and I than left a tip equal to that tab.That's happened more than once.
I've also paid someone else's tab without telling them.

jmol50

Single-Sixer
On Sunday I phoned in an order for eight people at this local restaurant. I get there and the restaurant is absolutely hopping, packed full, some folks waiting outside. While waiting at the bar to pick up the order, I see the bartender is busting his ass. Pure hustle. And this couple at the bar is being super rude. Snapping fingers, clapping for attention, shouting at him. He’s not ignoring you two, he’s taking someone else’s order. I ended up tipping the guy 30%. He earned it, maybe not on my specific order, but he was definitely working hard and had a long night ahead of him.

Midas11

Sergent
I pay for food, tax and tips...
Tips is not compulsory I pay whatever i have,

Blooch

Bearcat
Usually tip 15-20percent of the pretax total. Sometimes more. Sometimes not at all. We had a favorite go to Mexican restaurant we had gone to for 25+ years. Last Christmas I noticed the waitress tipped herself on my credit card before she tan the check, which was before I decided how much to tip her. She gave herself 40percent, then brought the receipt for me to sign and waited tosee how much more I was tipping. Never going back.

steveodtw

Blackhawk
When I walk in the tip starts at 20%. It's up to the waiter to work that up or down. What puts me in a quandry is when I get great service, and then ignored for a long time to get the check.

Good job Kevin!!! I have three children, all worked as waiter/waitresses. That opened my eyes, and my wallet. I now tip 20%, and as others have said it can go down if the service is lousy. Bad food is a managerial problem. Most of all be kind.
gramps

G2

Hunter
I don’t Tip, and I let the waiter know why,,,
I GIFT.
The IRS states that I can GIFT up to $1,500 a year and the receiver doesn’t have to claim it.
I usually make this “gift” in cash, 20% and round it up to the nearest $5.
Wait Staff at our regular haunts know us well, and we have been informed they see us coming and go out of their way to be our waiter.
All (4) of my kids have been wait staff, they really do appreciate the good tip and CASH is very much appreciated.

Cash turns into “what money” ???
Exactly…. What money ???
1669218375157.png

As for the OP ?,
I treat others how I would like to be treated.
One never knows the “Why” but taking care of the person that was trying to take care of you, IMO speaks more of you.

Last edited:

Zonker5

Bearcat
Oh good kelvin
I tip them depending on their behaviour and how good their food is.
I don't count how good the food is when I determine the tip. They take your order and serve it but they don't cook it.

If the food was exceptional I have been known to hand the server an extra $5 or $10 and tell them to give it to the cook.

jdubb16

Bearcat
Usually tip 15-20percent of the pretax total. Sometimes more. Sometimes not at all. We had a favorite go to Mexican restaurant we had gone to for 25+ years. Last Christmas I noticed the waitress tipped herself on my credit card before she tan the check, which was before I decided how much to tip her. She gave herself 40percent, then brought the receipt for me to sign and waited tosee how much more I was tipping. Never going back.
Sir I would make sure you don’t let the actions of one bad employee damage your long term relationship with that restaurant. I would inform the management and owners. At least give them the chance to make it right- fire that employee and reimburse your over payment.