How much is too much headspace in a revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5kwkdw3

Bearcat
The evil wheels are turning once again and I'm planning on making a new, different revolver of course starting with a Ruger, Vaquero this time. Changing the caliber, but keeping the same bore. My Parent case is not what the gun was originally chambered for, so the question of head-space came up. The new cartridge has less need for head-space than the original chambered round so I currently have a gun with too much head-space. Now I've talked with a couple of pros and they said that the seven thousandths extra is not enough to worry about and go ahead a fire on, but I think that it may be. So I went to the safe to check some head-space play that I have in other Ruger revolvers and what I've found over the years in measuring Ruger gun parts is that two guns of the same make and model: Shoot could even be consecutive serial numbers made by the same employee and all of the castings coming off of the same tree and sure enough there will be variations between guns on just about any measurement you want to choose. What I found was that the closest gun to the one I'm going to do my project on had between 13 thousandths for most of the firewall and down to 7 thousandths at the area of ignition. Made sense for there to be a difference between the two different areas, but the seven thousandths seemed a little large. As a check on that I went to the barrel cylinder gap expecting to see something a lot smaller like 4 to 5 thousandths like you hear most folk reporting they'd like and have on their guns. Well I had 13 thousandths. WOW! If I was shooting black powder (as I did in SASS) that gun must be a hoot shot at nighttime! Flames spouting everywhere.

I first learned the measurement differences when I was converting two ROA's into 45LC SASS service. The cylinders bought at different times, from different distributors had the exact same dementions, both internally and externally. So the first gun came up for work and it was determined that the firewall of the Howell cylinder had the spot for removal of material so that the cylinder could fit into the frame. Two thousandths is what it took (now mind you I was told that seven thousandths was okey dokey). I then check it with the second gun to see that we had figured out the magical number and nope it would not fit into the second gun. Turns out that that gun needed seven thousandths removed from the fire plate to fit. That's when I started checking all of my Ruger's and sure enough they all varied just a bit from gun to gun of a same model. No doubt still within company tolerances, but still different.

So, my thoughts were to purchase some quality and consistent moon clips for the gun and open up the constricted portion, the part that holds the round into the clip. That way I could just drop the round into the clip from the back and no extra expense would be incurred as far as head-space is concerned. I was then told by the Moon Clip folks that several of their customers have them do machining on single actions to utilize moon clips. I'm not talking the second semi-auto cartridge cylinder in a dual cylinder gun. I'm talking about taking a 45LC and turning back the cylinder to accept moon clips which hold the 45LC rounds. One thing nifty about TC Machining (I think was their name) was that the cylinder was only cut on the portion that the moon clip would need to take up. What that means is that the inside of the cylinder is cut deep enough for rim and moon clip to head-space while the outside of the cylinder is left alone so without the moon clips, the gun can be loaded as usual. So that got me to thinking.

Just how many of you all have, or have ever thought of having a Moon Clipped Single Action revolver? It requires cylinder removal for loading each time, but the owner said that those customers still say it's a drastic improvement in loading times. It must be for a fellow using a single action for defensive purposes though, because I know that SASS for one, would never allow such a thing. Where would this be used? And does anyone know of anyone currently using a moon clipped single action?

Sorry I got off track: To the OP: Is 13 and 7 thousandths too much spare play in single action head-space? And while I'm at it, certainly most would thing that a barrel cylinder gap of 13 thousandths is way too much, correct? Smithy.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
I would NOT put up with any sixgun that had those B/C gap and headspace specifications. SAAMI has exacting numbers for both and there is a damn good reason why !!!

5kwkdw3

Bearcat
That's what I was thinking, but I also checked some of my other guns and they also had what you'd consider excessive head-space, but a few thousandths less than the earlier Ruger example (also Rugers) and they were very close to those numbers. So either I'm the most unlucky Ruger buyer or I've been able to get away with these larger than normal numbers for some other, unheard of reason? They all seem to shoot just fine and I hate messing with a gun that shoots fine. (maybe I'm not the best to determine what shoots fine or not?). I did notice that all of the bigger numbers were all on the single actions, specifically the SASS type of guns. Would this be that SASS is only shooting revolvers out to 15 paces that QC was apparently lax on these single actions? Smithy.

DGW1949

Hunter
I'm with Will Terry.
Your gun has some fitment problems that need's addressed.

Adding some sort of moon clip arrangement to an out of whack gun aint a proper fix.
About all that that will do is shove some of the cylinder slop from one end to the other. The side effect of that will be that it'll require more unsuported case to be left hanging-out the rear of the cylinder than may be prudent.
Besides that, you do realze that moon clips were never intended to be a headspacing device, eh?......Yep, it's true....the sole intent was to allow a DA revolver to be able to eject rimless brass. In all such factory applications, the round still headspaces on the case mouth......so.....to me, no matter what, you still need to have a proper gunsmith address your gun's present problems before setting out to have it modified.

No offense intended.

DGW

5kwkdw3

Bearcat
In all such factory applications, the round still headspaces on the case mouth

With the exception of moon clips specifically made for straight walled revolver cases like the 357, 41, and 44 magnums, and 45LC. Regardless of design or original purpose, those newer revolver do indeed head-space off of the rim and with the moon clip involved also head-space utilizing the thickness of the moon clip and the rim for head-space. That is why the TC clips are to such a uniform thickness of .025. It has to be since it is head-spacing using the clip as part of the measurement. Now Ranch Products still produces the Cheap punches out (rather than EDM machined) pieces of regular steel to clip the semi-auto cases to the gun. And think about it. In the latter case, if the auto round is still head-spacing off of the case mouth so that you could use the clip or not, more of the case would naturally be exposed to prevent those cheap clips from getting in the way of the head-space. It would be far superior to have a known thickness of machined clips and the rounds to head-space off of the rim and the clip. But you simply cannot do that with cheap, stamped or in Ruger's 9mm case, plastic moon clips. Smithy.

5of7

Hunter
According to SAAMI, it is possible to have .025" of headspace in a .45 LC., if the chamber was bored to maximum depth, and the cartridge rim was minimum thickness.

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Pistol/45%20Colt.pdf

However this was considering low pressures and might not be all that cool if one were to load the .45 to high pressure.....say in the 30K range.

5kwkdw3

Bearcat
Thanks Buckeye for that information. It makes me feel better about the way my gun measured out. You know I always wonder about the Ruger bashing that takes place now and again. Did that person actually get something like that? I ask myself. If there are so many bum guns that I'm reading about, how come I've never gotten one? I usually check the gun out at the store, but I usually buy on line so I'm somewhat committed to the gun before it even gets to my dealer. And then when I get it home, there are some things that I've just gotten use to doing. I polish all of the internals deburring where needed and swap out the springs with a Wolff spring kit made for the gun. I usually like the single choice kits like the Marshall's Kit that only has one choice of spring for each area of the gun, trigger, hammer, base pin lock, etc. Single actions also get a Belt Mountain base pin and most all get new grips. Double actions get swapped for the same style of Hogues but made of glass filled nylon and the single actions keep the ivory grips, but wood gets replaced with the polymer ivory. Then I go shooting. I sight in the gun if adjustable and see where the non-adjustable is hitting. If I can solve the latter by bending or filing the front sight, then I'll fix it. I'll then go shooting again to see if my fixes (only if done) work. If I'm hitting what I aim at and don't hear anything rattle and the gun cycles or rotates like it is supposed to, I'm a very happy customer.

So the guns I had/have that apparently have excessive barrel/cylinder gap, if they aren't spitting out lead out the side and I'm hitting what I aim at, do I really care? Nope, not at all. In fact you could have a barrel cylinder gap as much as 1/2 an inch and still be fine if the gun was in correct alignment and the throat and forcing cone are machined as they are supposed to. Maybe Ruger knows that and they don't worry so much about the barrel/cylinder gap? After all why would I even check that dimension unless the gun was spitting lead out the side? This was a case of me abitrarily checking something that wasn't even giving me a problem. Like my first two SASS ROA's and their cylinder being five thousandths off. Who cares? I didn't notice any problem with the 5 thousandths in SASS and I don't notice the extra space in my Davidson's exclusive. If ten owners of Ruger single actions were asked to measure these two areas I just bet that you'd get ten different answers. I think that SAAMI calls that tolerances. If mine are in them or not, I'm still a happy Ruger owner. Smithy.